Difference between revisions of "Simone Morgen"
m (Text replacement - "Brandon Peyton-Carillo" to "Brandon Payton-Carrillo")
|Line 114:||Line 114:|
[[Category:Democratic Socialists of America]]
[[Category:Democratic Socialists of America]]
Latest revision as of 12:52, 14 February 2020
In 2012, she was Constituent Liaison at State of Ohio - AG office.
Jobs with Justice
The Free Press
CICJ Board of Directors includes;
Pete Johnson, President
Eric Neubauer, Vice President
Suzanne Patzer, Treasurer
Robert Fitrakis (Ex-Officio) Executive Director/Editor
DSA NPC member
- Theresa Alt
- David Duhalde
- Stuart Elliott
- Virginia Franco
- Paul Garver
- David Green
- Seth Hutchinson
- Barbara Joye
- Simone Morgen
- Michele Rossi
- Jason Schulman
- Joseph Schwartz
- Herb Shore
- Maria Svart
- Rannfrid Thelle
Occupy Columbus involvement
- Committees have been established (research, outreach, logistics, legal, etc.) as well as a website, forum and Facebook presence. I have been most in contact with the legal committee due to prior acquaintance in work and Comfest (community festival) contexts, and we have also contacted by Occupy to lend our name in support. Various programs have been held; there may be opportunities for teach-ins. Resolutions have been passed supporting the repeal of SB5 (rally to be held November 1st), an end to corporate personhood, fairness in taxation, getting money out of politics and preserving the safety net.
- One aspect that may be unique here is that a separate student Occupy has focused on campus concerns such as tuition increases and the proposed privatization of OSU parking spaces. This group meets separately, although they send delegates to the main Occupy group and work with them on specific events.
- Democratic Socialists of Central Ohio (DSCO) members have gone to various general assemblies and events, to the degree it can be coordinated with work and other activist events. I have been using some local contacts to try to obtain an indoor meeting space for them in the coming colder months."
DSA 2011 leadership
- Theresa Alt (Ithaca, NY)
- Stuart Elliott (Wichita, KS)
- Paul Garver (Boston, MA),
- Virginia Franco (San Diego, CA)
- David Green (Detroit, MI)
- Barbara Joye (Atlanta, GA)
- Frank Llewellyn (New York, NY),
- Dan Michniewicz (Pinckney, MI)
- Simone Morgen (Columbus, OH),
- Joseph Schwartz (Philadelphia, PA)
- Peg Strobel (Chicago, IL)
DSA 2016 leadership
The 2016-17 Democratic Socialists of America National Political Committee elected members are: Jared Abbott, Hope Adair, Theresa Alt, David Green, Jose Gutierrez, Elizabeth Henderson, Frank Llewellyn, Sean Monahan, Simone Morgen, Brandon Payton-Carrillo, Joseph Schwartz, Peg Strobel and Russell Weiss-Irwin. The convention also voted to add two new honorary vice chairs: Deborah Meier and Bhaskar Sunkara. 
- In my case socialism skipped a generation - my grandfather took my mother to rallies, which apparently didn’t take, although my household was generally on the left but inactive. My interest in socialism was a matter of basic fairness, and I have had a strong awareness of inequities from an early stage, especially with regard to women’s place in society. I worked previously in the Ohio Senate, and have been in an office of state government for several years.
- I joined DSA at some point in the early to mid-1990s, at what seems to have been the nadir of DSA activity. Although we were small, I continued to work with local single payer and environmental activists and produced education programs on issues such as corporate influence in American life and environmental awareness. I have been working locally with a multi-racial group studying cooperatives to assist poor communities. During the Bernie campaign which we joined locally, we began to grow, which accelerated after the election. A few years ago, we succeeded in starting a local workers’ center (I am on the board), divided between immigrant and labor support, to assist a growing immigrant community and help to build strength in local labor efforts, which have historically not been as strong as in northern Ohio. I am a member of the DL/blog committee, as well as the immigrant sub-committee of the AntiRacist working group. I also belong to the Socialist Feminist and the recently formed Solidarity working group.
Veralucia Mendoza Reno, Nicholas Pasquarello, Jen Mendoza, Trent Ramsay Taylor, Sean Nestor, Will Petrik, Kevin Zamora and Ramon Perez, Joe Motil, Rashida Davison and Timothy Ralph Singratsomboune, Mario Cespedes, Bhuwan Pyakurel, Sylvia Vasquez and Inna Simakovsky, Hannah Hartshorn, Laura Jan and Mattie Reitman, Carissa Reed and Eliana Verónica, Rashida Davison, Brad Holmes, Cruz Bonlarron Martínez and Kelli Allen, Bob Hart, Ariel Miller and Rachel Anne Metzler, Jeff Watters, Simone Morgen, Connie Hammond, Ryan Melusi Marchese, Tim Chavez, Austin Kocher, Kiwan R. Lawson, Robert Studzinski, Thomas Lee, Noel Andersen, Mike Smalz, Jeremy Baiman, Ruben Castilla Herrera, Stuart Desmond McIntyre, JJ Verbino, Nick Bates, Kimberly Michelle Pilcher Katie Conley Bates, Bob Roehm, Samuel Gresham, Graham Spangler, Coco Smyth, Akela Amber, Andrew Neutzling and Cory White, Byanka Aguirre Zaragoza, Leticia Vazquez, Indra Leyva and Marcos Olivarez, Darsy Amaya, Lourdes Barroso De Padilla, Lair Marin-Marcum, Guadalupe Velasquez, Anamaria Perales-Lang, Rubén Castilla Herrera, Ariana Ulloa-Olavarrieta, Diana Pagan, Paloma Enmei Martinez-Cruz and Frederick Luis Aldama.
- Dem.Left, Summer 2011, Fighting SB5 in Ohio, By Simone Morgen
- Simone Morgen LinkedIn bio, accessed July 10, 2012
-  DSA 2009 National Convention Evanston, Illinois November 13-15, 2009 report, DSA website, accessed June 11, 2010
- DSA: DSA Members Participate in Occupy Wall Street (accessed on Nov. 2, 2011)
- Dem. left. Winter 2012
- Dem Left, DSA Convention: New Strategy for a New Era Posted by Dsa on 11.18.15 Barbara Joye
- FB Central Ohio Worker Center August 23, 2015