Mike Bayer was the district organizer for the Communist Party USA in Indiana. He was in Indiana from 1968 to 1995 and focused on helping to develop rank and file movements in different local unions in and around Gary, where there were many steel mills. He was also the National Steel Coordinator for the Communist Party. The Communist Party had a Steel Commission, which included workers from all over the Midwest, along with some other places. George Edwards and Mike got to know each other at meetings of the Steel Commission and through their work in the rank and file movement.
National Party Building Conference
Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 12 PM – 6 PM EST
Join Communist Party activists and members in a national conference. You can register here https://tinyurl.com/ycdouk3y
The conference will take place November 11th to 12th to plan our work in the fight against the Trump Administration and its white supremacist ruling class backers. Find information here about how to participate. http://www.cpusa.org/2017-national-party-building-conference-resist-organize-vote-grow/
The conference will be streamed from Chicago to regional meetings in New Haven, Los Angeles, and Orlando. Whether you’re on the East Coast, West Coast, in the MIdwest or the South, you’ll be able to participate.
Those invited on Facebook included Mike Bayer.
WEB DuBois Clubs of America
In 2013, Mike Bayer was listed a a friend on the DuBois Clubs Facebook page.
From 1992 - 1995, Bayer studied at Indiana University, receiving a BA in Accounting.
In 1986, Bayer wrote an article which was published in the People's Daily World, entitled "Steelworkers fight a giant conglomerate". The article was on the subject of the recent USX lockout of 44,000 steelworkers. In the article, Bayer made the following observation:
- "Winning work actions, whether strikes or lockouts, usually depend on the degree they can cause the corporations to suffer economically, to make it more expensive to continue with their mills shut down than to agree to workers' demands."
Communist Party paper
Communist Party's May Day Salute
In 1995 the Communist Party USA newspaper People's Weekly World, published a "May Day salute" to the "heroes in the class war zone". More than 200 unionists endorsed the call, mostly known affiliates, or members of the Communist Party. Mike Bayer, Gary Indiana, was one of those listed.
Vermont Legal Aid
Vermont Progressive Party
In 2002 Mike Bayer sat on the state committee of the Vermont Progressive Party.
- A more advanced aspect of political independence is pro-worker electoral formations outside the Democratic Party. A growing example is the Working Families Party, which has established itself in New York, doubled its vote in two years time, and is now expanding into Connecticut and other states. Election law in Connecticut does not allow petitioning candidates to run on more than one line, so the tactic is to run as many as 60 candidates for State Representative around the state with the goal of getting at least one percent of the vote and winning minor party status in those districts. Then in the next election, the Working Families Party can cross-endorse candidates in other Parties who adopt the Working Families program. Western Connecticut Labor Council president Blair Bertaccini will be one of those candidates. In Vermont, going beyond Bernie Sanders, is the new Vermont Progressive Party, which received 10% of the vote for governor and won 4 representatives in the last election. Mike Bayer sits on their state committee.
- The Progressive Party in Vermont ran Anthony Polina for Lieutenant Governor. He got 25% of the vote, up from 9.5% two years ago. He campaigned for a tax surcharge on the wealthy, replacing property taxes with broad-based taxes to fund public education, and a single payer health care system. He was endorsed by the Vermont AFL-CIO. The campaign was a collaborative effort with Bernie Sanders and inspired a high voter turnout. Mike Bayer reports that the lack of program by the Democratic candidates for Governor and Lieutenant Governor led to their defeat.
Dec. 3 2006, "was a day the People’s Weekly World can be proud of. Still celebrating the results of the Nov. 7 elections, readers held banquets and dinners in various places across the country, attracting elected officials, leaders of people’s movements and rank-and-file fighters for justice and democracy."
In Connecticut, guests packed the New Haven People's Center to “Carry the People’s Election Victories Forward”...
Michael Bayer, treasurer of the Vermont Progressive Party, spoke about left Independent Bernie Sanders’ election to the U.S. Senate as a fighter for working-class people. Bayer also stressed the continuing need to pressure Congress for universal health care, minimum wage increases, the right to belong to a union and the return of U.S. troops home from Iraq.
- Special guest Michael Bayer, state treasurer of Vermont’s Progressive Party, will address “Building Independent Political Action on behalf of Working Families.” The Progressive Party was inspired by Congressman Bernie Sanders, who is a founder of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and is newly elected U.S. Senator from Vermont.
- The event will celebrate a year of activism against the war in Iraq and for immigrant rights and workers’ rights, reflected in major get out the vote efforts by labor and community groups which changed control of Congress. Projections will be made for next steps to change the direction of the country and achieve an end to the war, good jobs and health care.
- The program, to be held at the New Haven People’s Center, 37 Howe Street, will include poetry, music, an international holiday gift table and a home-cooked light supper. The annual reception is hosted by the People’s Weekly World in Connecticut on the occasion of the 87th anniversary of the Communist Party USA.
Running for State Auditor of Accounts
In 2010 Michael Bayer, State Party Treasurer for the Vermont Progressive Party is running for the position of State Auditor of Accounts for Vermont. The position is currently held by Republican, Thomas M. Salmon.
United Socialists initiative
- This group is for left unity. All factions of leftists welcome for open debate and forum discussion
Wilson E. Allen February 2, 2018 ·
While tidying up some cluttered drawers I found this souvenir button from our bus trip to Detroit to meet Nelson Mandela. Rosa Parks was there too! I’d spent much of the 70s & 80s advocating for his freedom and the end of apartheid. It was so satisfying seeing him free at last! — with Michael Bayer.
- FB friends page
- [http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QUYtWOLXZAIJ:https://georgeedwardsproject.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/interview-with-mike-bayer/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=nz GEProject. INTERVIEW WITH MIKE BAYER May 18, 2013 · by georgeedwardsproject · in Uncategorized · Leave a comment Conducted by Kyla van Buren]
- FB friends page
- LinkedIn: Mike Bayer (accessed on Aug. 31, 2010)
- PDW October 9, 1986, page 9
- "Steelworkers fight a giant conglomerate", People's Daily World, October 9, 1986, Page 9.
- Peoples Weekly World April 25 1992 p 23
- People's Weekly World May 6 1995 p 2
- Resolutions Committee Report, Mike Bayer, September 21, 2001, accessed August 30, 2010
- Report on the 2002 Elections, February 22 2002, National Committee Meeting February 2002
- 2002 ELECTIONS: No Mandate For The Ultra Right, December 11 2002
- PWW events salute peoples leaders, Dec. 16, 2006
- Three Connecticut Leaders to be Honored - Dec. 3, 2006, People's Weekly World, Nov. 28, 2006. Copied from a cached version on ZoomInfo.com (accessed on Aug. 31, 2010)
- Politics1.com: Vermont, Aug. 26, 2010 (accessed on Aug. 31, 2010)