- 1 Background
- 2 Bellecourt visit
- 3 Building Trades Union
- 4 HOLD
- 5 NDU
- 6 Maritime Unionist Socialist Activities Association
- 7 Latin America Committee
- 8 CAFCA
- 9 Trans Tasman Socialist Secretariat
- 10 SPA/Seafarers
- 11 Alliance Party
- 12 SPA
- 13 NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- 14 Cuba Friendship group
- 15 New Zealand Cuba Friendship Society
- 16 Cuban award
- 17 References
Warren Brewer — carpenter and construction worker and official of the Building Trades Union for 20 years; now a member of the National Distribution Union, and Secretary of the Socialist Party of Aotearoa.
1955 - At Otahuhu College.
Building Trades Union
2.4.1990 - Signatory to People's Voice appeal for "united front" to defeat "Compact," NZ Building Union Midland Secretary, Hamilton
1990 - Registered in a PV survey opposition to the compact. Building Workers Union Hamilton Sec.
1991 - District Secretary of Midlands branch of Building Trades Union.
1991 Sept 23, PV recorded his comments at a Midlands branch Union meeting on Sept 16:"A small clique of wealthy businessmen and sap-headed ideologues in Parliamentt have expropriated not only the assets of the nation, but the fundamental right of all New Zealanders to adequate housing, health and education." Meeting endorsed the Day of Action.
He was HOLD president.
Maritime Unionist Socialist Activities Association
In 2001 Warren Brewer attended a Maritime Unionist Socialist Activities Association conference in Australia with Bill Andersen. 
Latin America Committee
Circa 2001, Brewer was a member of the Hamilton Latin America Committee.
The 2003 CAFCA AGM was held at the Christchurch WEA on September 22. 13 members were present (this was definitely the smallest ever attendance at an AGM. There were more apologies than attenders. Ed.). Bill Rosenberg chaired. Apologies were accepted from Maurice Ward, Martin Griffiths and Lois Griffiths, Gillian Southey, Denis O’Connor, Leigh Cookson, Tim Barnett, June Bright, Warren Brewer, Luke Trainor, Noeline Gannaway, Bill Willmott, Roger Moody, Charlie Gower and Daniela Bagozzi. The 2002 Minutes were read by the secretary, Murray Horton, and accepted.
In 2009, the newest member of the CAFCA committee was Warren Brewer, who had helped at Watchdog mailouts for years beforehand.
- Warren has a long background in grassroots unionism and is involved in a whole variety of campaigns at present, so it’s excellent to have yet another activist on board. He is a great asset.
The 2012 CAFCA AGM was held at the Christchurch WEA on September 24. 16 members were present. They were: James Ayers, Murray Horton, Warren Brewer, John Ring, Paul Piesse, Colleen Hughes, Brian Turner, Katherine Peet, John Peet, Bill Willmott, Daphne Crampton, Bruce Tulloch, Daniela Bagozzi, Steffan Browning, Lynda Kitchingham and Susan Miller.
Trans Tasman Socialist Secretariat
In 2008 Warren Brewer was number 28 on the Alliance Party's electoral list.
2006 - Warren Brewer -- carpenter and construction worker and official of the Building Trades Union for 20 years; now a member of the National Distribution Union, Secretary of the Socialist Party of Aotearoa.
In early 2006 Communist Party of Australia hosted a delegation from the Socialist Party of Aotearoa . Party Secretary Warren Brewer and Chair Brendan Tuohy ’s March visit heralded a strengthening of trans-Tasman co-operation between communist forces.
During their week-long visit the New Zealanders held talks with trade unionists in Sydney, Newcastle and Wollongong, and spoke at public forums with the theme: “Industrial Relations — learning from New Zealand’s disaster”.
They were also invited to the CPA Central Committee meeting where formal greetings were exchanged.
NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
US Embassy letter/Cuban 5
On 6 April 2009 US Embassy in Wellington refused to accept a hand delivered letter from MPs, City Councillors, trade unionists, church leaders,academics and other New Zealanders calling on the US Government not to oppose the petition to the US Supreme Court for the release of the Cuban 5.
An attempt to deliver the letter was made by Wellington City Councillor, Ray Ahipene-Mercer and Secretary of the Weliington Cuba Friendship Society Gillian Magee but US Embassy Guards said they would not accept a hand delivered letter.
- Dear Attorney General Holder
- We, the undersigned New Zealanders are writing this letter to you on the eve of the US Government submitting a brief in response to the 30 January 09 petition to the Supreme Court and the twelve separate amicus curiae briefs that were filed in the US Supreme Court on 6 March 2009 regarding the unjust incarceration of five Cuban citizens - Gerardo Hernández Nordelo, René González Sehweret, Ramón Labañino Salazar, Antonio Guerrero Rodríguez and Fernando González Llort - known as the Cuban 5.
- We urge the United States Government to acknowledge that a complete miscarriage of justice has taken place regarding the Cuban 5 and to support, rather than oppose, a review of the conviction by the Supreme Court. We urge you to immediately release the Cuban 5.
Signatories included Warren Brewer, Workers Institute for Scientific Socialist Education.
Cuba Friendship group
The formal establishment of the Group of Friendship with Cuba in the city of Dunedin marked an important guideline in the context of the International Campaign for the liberation of the Cuban Five.
The constitution of the Group took place on the occasion of the visit of the Ambassador of Cuba Maria del Carmen Herrera Caseiro to this city in connection with the opening of the exhibition of cartoons by Gerardo Hernández.
The formalization of this new group, which will be coordinated by Mr. Victor Billot and Ms. Jenny Olsen, "strengthens the solidarity movement with Cuba in the 5 major cities of New Zealand, including: Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin, and will extend the network of friends who support and defend Cuba over New Zealand geography".
New Zealand Cuba Friendship Society
Cuba Solidarity - New Zealand Cuba Friendship Society public Facebook group. February 16 2020.
Founder was Warren Brewer.
Dunedin, October 3, 2013. In the context of the International Campaign for the liberation of the Cuban Five unjustly imprisoned in the United States a just recognition was granted to two prominent New Zealand activists for their continuing efforts on behalf of the cause of the Five Cuban patriots.
The tribute took place as part of the opening ceremony of the exhibition of cartoons by Gerardo Hernandez in the city of Dunedin, in which Mr. Warren Brewer and Paul Piesse, representatives Christchurch Solidarity Group, received from the hands of the Ambassador of Cuba Maria del Carmen Herrera Caseiro a reproduction of the Work painted by Cuban painters and a letter of gratitude on behalf of the Five and their families.
- This recognition will be extended to other friends in other cities in New Zealand, who like Warren and Paul have spared no effort in the battle for the liberation of the Cuban Five. 
- [PV 19 Feb 90]
- Red Flag May 01
- CAFCA AGM, Accounts, Organiser's Report, 2009 AGM MINUTES
- Red Flag Aug 02
- CPA’s Guardian of 12.4.06
- Initiating Members and Supporters of the NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- SCOOP, US Embassy Refuses Letter From MPs. Crs. Unionists Tuesday, 7 April 2009, 9:36 am Press Release: NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- FRIENDSHIP GROUP FORMALLY ESTABLISHED IN DUNEDIN, Embassy of Cuba in NZ - Newsletter - Special Edition 6,Tuesday, 29 October 2013
- Cuba Diplomatic, TWO NEW ZEALAND FEATURED ACTIVISTS IN THE BATTLE FOR THE LIBERATION OF THE FIVE CUBAN HEROES RECEIVE RECOGNITION