USTOGAZA is a "coalition of organizations and a grassroots campaign of individuals who together are joining to launch a U.S. BOAT TO GAZA. When the U.S. boat, THE AUDACITY OF HOPE, sails it will take its place in the next Freedom Flotilla to participate in the great international effort to break the blockade of Gaza and to end the occupation of Palestine. From the deck of The Audacity of Hope, we will be in a powerful and unique position to challenge U.S. foreign policy and affirm the universal obligation to uphold international law and human rights."
Accessed July 2010;
- Dear Friends,
- This is an important moment in history. In the aftermath of the Gaza Freedom Flotilla massacre and increased world-wide scrutiny of Israel’s blockade of Gaza, the Israeli government has mounted a huge public relations campaign spreading the lie that by letting a few more items into Gaza the blockade has been lifted. This is not the reality. Gaza is still under siege, vital building materials and other supplies are banned, exports of goods from Gaza are denied and neither ships nor people can travel without permission from Israel, permission which Israel will not give. Gaza is essentially an open-air prison under a U.S.-backed Israeli blockade.
- We are planning to launch a U.S. boat to Gaza, joining a flotilla of ships from Europe, Canada, India, South Africa and parts of the Middle East due to set sail in September/ October of this year. In order to succeed in this essential but costly human rights project, we need significant financial support.
- Citizens around the world have responded to the plight of the Palestinian people and are taking action to help break the blockade which is suffocating the lives of the people of Gaza and denying them their liberty. The U.S. government is complicit through established policies that uncritically support Israel in its brutal attack on the Palestinian people and on those who attempt to intervene on their behalf. We in the United States must continue to step up and do our part. We must join with others from across the world to support an end to the collective punishment of 1.5 million Palestinians in Gaza.
- We turn to you to help make the U.S. boat, The Audacity of Hope, a reality. We must raise at least $370,000 in the next month. These funds will be used to purchase a boat large enough for 40-60 people, secure a crew, and cover the licensing and registering of the boat. In addition, the funds will subsidize some other costs of sending a U.S. delegation. We can make this happen together. For example, with 370 people giving $1,000, or with 3,700 people giving $100, we will have raised our full amount.
- We have already received donations ranging from $10 to $10,000. So, give what you can and give generously. From the deck of The Audacity of Hope, we will be in a powerful and unique position to challenge U.S. foreign policy and affirm the universal obligation to uphold human rights and international law. Let us act now because every moment counts and every dollar counts. Together we will contribute to the great effort to end the blockade of Gaza and the illegal occupation of Palestine.
- Please spread this appeal letter far and wide, so that others will contribute as well.
- Thank you for your generosity.
On behalf of the U.S. BOAT TO GAZA;
- Anna Baltzer, Human Rights Activist and Author
- Russell Banks, Writer
- Kahlil Bendib, Political Cartoonist
- Henry Chalfant, Film Maker
- Kathleen Chalfant, New York
- Angela Y. Davis, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Noor Elashi, Writer
- Kathy Engel, Poet
- Nubar Hovsepian, Associate Professor of Political Science and International Studies, Chapman University
- Rashid Khalidi, Columbia University
- Karen Malpede, Playwright
- Helaine Meisler, Hudson Valley BDS
- Mariam Said, New York
- Najla Said, Actor/Writer
- Eleanor Stein, Albany Law School
- Michael Steven Smith, New York City Attorney/Author
- Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Professor of Women’s and Gender Studies, Syracuse University
- Alice Walker, Author
- Diane Wilson, Writer/Activist
- Dorothy M. Zellner, Veteran Civil Rights Activist
As of July 2010;
- 14 Friends of Palestine
- A.R.T. (Activist Response Team)
- Adalah-NY: The New York Campaign for the Boycott of Israel
- Al-Awda NY
- American Jews for a Just Peace
- Boston University Students for Justice in Palestine
- Chicago Coalition Against War and Racism
- CODEPINK – Chicago Area
- Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine
- Free Gaza Movement
- Gay Liberation Network Chicago, IL
- Gaza Freedom March
- Granny Peace Brigade
- Hammerhard MediaWorks
- International Solidarity Movement – Chicago
- International Solidarity Movement – North Carolina
- Jewish Voice for Peace
- Jewish Voice for Peace – Chicago
- JEWS SAY NO!
- Justice For Palestinians – San Jose, CA
- Middle East Crisis Response
- Palestine Solidarity Group – Chicago
- The War Crimes Times
- Veterans for Peace
- Voices for Creative Nonviolence
- War Resisters League
- Women in Black Union Square
- Women of a Certain Age