Tom Smith (Tennessee)
- 1 Fighting outsourcing
- 2 MLK Day event
- 3 Tennessee comrades
- 4 FRSO
- 5 2016 Memphis PSA launch
- 6 Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
- 7 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 8 PSA - Memphis Facebook group, 2017
- 9 Removing the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest
- 10 USAS conference
- 11 References
Jon Shefner April 16, 2017 ·
Tried to share a post now that is a year old - showing how long and hard we've worked against outsourcing. I couldn't make it work, because apparently I am a FB moron. But this is important to say: We've done it all - in the legislature and in the streets, with our allies and on our own. And not only are we not finished, we are stronger than ever, in Knoxville and across the state. I am so proud of working with Cassie Watters, Melanie Barron, Jayanni Elizabeth, Tom Anderson, Tom Smith, Thomas Wayne Walker, Ed McDaniel, Josh Smyser, Diana Moyer, Jeffrey Lichtenstein, Sarah Eldridge, Fran Ansley, Jim Sessions, Jason Dawsey, Bob Hutton, Troy Smith, JB and everyone I may have left off. I looked at the post from a year ago - and I'm pissed. We've worked really hard at this against a governor who has no reason to outsource other than to attack working people. No data confirms his plan, no need drives it, and no truth is behind it . C'mon April 24, and every other day of struggle until we win! Goddamnit, we are not done yet!
MLK Day event
- Join us for our annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration to honor his work for economic, racial, and social justice and to commit to carrying on this work on our campuses, in our state, and in our country! Now as much as ever before, MLK’s dream is a powerful vision that can guide our fight to put the people first! Guest speaker Ajamu Dillahunt from North Carolina.
Those indicating willingness to support or attend the event on the Wherevent page included Rae Jones, Anne Smith, David Dalton, Bob Hutton, Ben Allen, Jordan Welsh, Eleazar Ortiz, William Isom, Stan Johnson, Tom Smith, Jay Butler, Karly Safar, Alex Fields, Katie Myers, Elizabeth Wright, Janet Miles, Sally Buice, Elizabeth Armstrong, Cassie Watters, Michelle Christian, Lee Dunham Sessions, Naomia J. Fountain-Holloway, Jim Sessions, Maurice L. Clark, Sr., Saint Thomas LeDoux, Melanie Barron, Michelle Gore.
Thomas Wayne Walker, Tom Smith.
Smith is close to Freedom Road Socialist Organization
2016 Memphis PSA launch
Join us for the UofM Progressive Student Alliance kick-off meeting this coming Tuesday, September 20th on the UofM Campus. It will be in Clement Hall, Room 213 at 4PM. We are THE organization on campus fighting against racism, gender oppression, and economic injustice. Join us as we unite for our first meeting and discuss the general structure of PSA, our vision, and our campaigns for the semester. The 2016 presidential election season is upon us. The time is ripe to organize, and to DUMP Donald TRUMP!
Invited Paul Morquecho, Annie Bird, Katy Ochoa, Jeshua David, Rickie Aimee, Lucas Olsen, Mia Jordan, Jonathan Capriel, Chase Baltz, Matthew Brown, Sydney Melissa, Jroc Jarvis, Josh Adams, Leslie Monique Wellman, Carly Christensen, Keedran Franklin, Allison Escobar, Kayla Marie Thomas, Jayanni Elizabeth, Ellen Uhlmann, Tailer Ransom, Lizzie Dean, Dai Williams, Wesley Morgan Paraham, Tamam Arafat, Cali Baer, Brandon C J Shaw, Charlotte Watson, Anna CP, Chrissy Green, Mike Butler, Thomas Wayne Walker, Tom Smith, Dana Asbury, Jeffrey Lichtenstein.
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing
Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing, was a nationwide conference call organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization, Sunday October 30, 2016.
- What's the nature of this right-wing threat? What has this election cycle changed about the political terrain we're fighting on? How do we need to prepare for whats coming after the election? Hear about these crucial questions from our panel of top political strategists, including Nelini Stamp, Bill Fletcher, Jr., Linda Burnham, and Sendolo Diaminah.
Those invited, on Facebook included Tom Smith.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Tom Smith.
PSA - Memphis Facebook group, 2017
Progressive Student Alliance - University of Memphis Facebook group, as of March 26, 2017;
- Anna CP, U. Memphis Joined about 7 years ago
- John Jester, U. Memphis Created group on October 12, 2009
- Tom Smith, District 3 Organizing Coordinator at Communications Workers of America, Joined about 7 years ago
- Karly Safar, Joined about 7 years ago
- Jeffrey Lichtenstein, Memphis, Tennessee, Joined about 7 years ago
Removing the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest
Lindsey Smith June 26, 2015 ·
This morning we visited the National Civil Rights Museum to voice our demands to the Tennessee Historical Commission for the removal of the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest from our State Capitol, as well as any other icons and symbols of hate from our history. This meeting coincided with a newly historic day — the day where SCOTUS ruled in favor of marriage equality, a civil right. Living a life fr... See More — with Allison Glass, Tom Smith and Jeffrey Lichtenstein.
Jared Story August 17 2019.
- [http://www.wherevent.com/detail/United-Campus-Workers-Martin-Luther-King-Jr-Day-Celebration Wherevent, Monday 18 January 2016, 1415 Elm St, Knoxville organized by : United Campus Workers
- FB Revolutionary Strategies to Beat the Rising Right Wing Went 109