Writing in the Huffington Post of September 8, 2008, in an article entitled "From Organizer To Elected Official" Democratic Socialists of America member Peter Dreier listed several serving US politicians who had begun their careers as "community organizers". They were US Senator Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, Representatives John Lewis of Georgia, Jan Schakowsky and Danny Davis of Illinois, Raul Grijalva of Arizona, Linda Sanchez of California, and Donna Edwards of Maryland, Washington House of Representatives Speaker Frank Chopp, Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, New York City Council Speaker Christine C. Quinn, Minnesota Secretary of State Mark Ritchie, state legislators Beth Low of Missouri, Michael Foley of Ohio, Gilbert Cedillo of California, Tom Hucker of Maryland, Tony Hill of Florida, and Crystal Peoples of New York, Alameda County (California) Supervisor Nate Miley, City Council members Jay Westbrook of Cleveland, Chuck Turner and Sam Yoon of Boston, and Melvin Carter of St. Paul, and San Francisco School Board member Jane Kim. 
Maryland House of Delegates
Hucker has been a Member of the Maryland House of Delegates since January 10, 2007.
Hucker has served on the following Committees in the Maryland House of Delegates:
- Environmental Matters Committee, 2007- (environment subcommittee, 2007-; land use & ethics subcommittee, 2007-; natural resources subcommittee, 2007-)
- Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) Matters Committee, Montgomery County Delegation, 2007- (bi-county committee, 2007)
- Veteran's Caucus, 2007-
- White House Task Force of State Legislators for Health Care Reform, 2009-
- Climate, Energy and Environment Policy Committee, Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, 2009-
Supported Progressive Health Care Reform
In late 2009, Tom Hucker was one of more than 1,000 state legislators to sign a letter entitled "State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform". The letter was a project of the Progressive States Network and was developed in consultation with national health care reform advocates, including the AFL-CIO, AFSCME, Community Catalyst, Families USA, Herndon Alliance, National Women's Law Center, Northeast Action, SEIU, and Universal Health Care Action Network. The letter reads in part,
- "Failure to pass national comprehensive health reform now will further jeopardize state and local budgets, undermining public services like education, public safety, and transportation infrastructure... We, the undersigned, call on President Obama and the Congress to enact bold and comprehensive health care reform this year – based on these principles and a strong federal-state collaboration – and pledge our support as state legislators and allies in pursuit of guaranteed, high quality, affordable health care for all."
Progressive States Network
In 2010, Tom Hucker served on the Board of Directors for the Progressive States Network, an organization which seeks to "transform the political landscape by sparking progressive actions at the state level".
PDA meeting, Maryland
Thursday March 15, 2012, PDA National Director Tim Carpenter, PDA National Vice Chair emeritus Stephen Shaff, PDA National Deputy Field Director Andrea Miller and Mike Hersh welcomed speakers Rep. Donna Edwards (Md-6), Professor Eric Kingson from Social Security Works, and Alex Lawson from We Act 1480 AM Radio to Busboys and Poets in Hyattsville, Maryland.
Current and former PDA National Board Members Medea Benjamin, Joe Libertelli and Steve Cobble, Healthcare NOT Warfare co-chair Donna Smith, and Maryland Senator Paul Pinsky also helped welcome progressives to Prince George's County's newest meeting place. The turnout included several important progressive leaders from Maryland's 4th, 6th, and 8th districts.
Special thanks to the Very Important Progressive Host Committee including--Stephen Shaff; PDA board member Bill Fletcher, Jr., Raucus Activist Writer; Alex Lawson, Social Security Works and WE ACT Radio; Heather Booth, Activist; Steve Cobble, PDA Political Advisor, and Institute for Policy Studies; Medea Benjamin; Tom Hucker, MD Delegate, D-20; Greg Moore, NAACP/Political Consultant; Beth Becker, Progressive PST; Naomi Bloch, Activist who donated a small library of books; David Hart, Physicians for Social Responsibility; Beth Schulman, IPS; Greg Smith, Activist; Joe Libertelli; Mark Dudzic; Jimmy Tarlau, Communication Workers of America; Kerren-Pope Onwukwe, Attorney/Activist; and Andrea Miller.
Hucker has been affiliated with or in membership of the following organizations:
- Regional Campaign Director, Fund for Public Interest Research, 1990-95
- Campaign Director, Progressive America Fund, 1995-99
- Lead Organizer, Progressive Montgomery, 1999-2001
- Executive Director and Founder, Progressive Maryland, 2001-06
- Progressive Maryland Education Fund, 2001-06
- Member, Montgomery County Steering Committee, O'Malley/Brown Campaign, 2006
- Maryland for Obama Campaign, 2007-
- Greater Silver Spring Democratic Club
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP)
- National Organization for Women (NOW)
- Equality Maryland
- Board of Directors, Maryland-India Business Roundtable, 2009-
- Purple Line Now
- Affiliate of the Economic Analysis and Research Network
- Special Advisor, League of Korean Americans of Maryland
- Member, Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Friends of Sligo Creek
- Former member, Maryland Government Relations Association
- Eagle Scout
Hucker has received the following awards:
- Friends of Latinos Award, Hispanic Democratic Club, 2002
- Defenders of Justice Award, Maryland Trial Lawyers Association, 2005
- Public Service Award, League of Korean Americans of Maryland, 2005
- Progressive Leader Award, Progressive Maryland, 2007
- Maryland House of Delegates website: Tom Hucker (accessed on Sept. 1, 2010)
- Huffington Post, From Organizer To Elected Official, Peter Dreier, September 8, 2008
- Progressive States Network: State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform (accessed on Dec. 23, 2010)
- PSN website: Board of Directors (accessed on Sept. 1, 2010)
- [http://www.pdacommunity.org/maryland/1281-donna-edwards-joins-pda-in-hyattsville, PDA website, Donna Edwards Joins PDA in Hyattsville Friday, 16 March 2012 14:46 Written by Mike Hersh]