Tom Ellett grew up in South Chicago, the son of a steelworker.
Tom Ellett joined DSA in 1987, organizing a chapter at Northern Illinois University, where he studied labor and social history.
In 1993, Tom Ellett, a former DSA Youth Organizer, was an organizer for the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America. 
1995 DSA leadership
- Theresa Alt/Ithaca, NY
- Shoshana Bricklin/Philadelphia, PA
- Dominic Chan/Brooklyn, NY
- Rachel Dewey/Princeton, NJ
- Tom Ellett/Sparta, WI
- Lynne Mosley Engelskirchen/Santa Monica, CA
- Julia Fitzgerald/Brooklyn, NY
- Karen Marie Gibson/Brooklyn, NY
- David Glenn/Brooklyn, NY
- Jeff Lacher/Dayton, NJ
- Jose LaLuz/San Juan, PR
- Frank Llewellyn/Brooklyn, NY
- Anne McCormick/Washington, DC
- William Mclver, Jr./Lafayette, CO
- Steve Oliver/Brooklyn, NY
- Loretta Schuman/Washington, DC
- Joseph Schwartz/Ithaca, NY
- Patricia Sexton/New York, NY
- Kurt Stand/Washington, DC
- Steve Tarzynski/Santa Monica, CA
- Eric Vega/Sacramento, CA
- Juanita Webster/New York, NY
In 1996 "Labor Activist" was published by the Democratic Socialists of America Youth Section Labor Solidarity Committee
Tom Ellett, Organizer, United Electrical, Radio & Machine Workers of America
Carmen Mitchell, DSA Youth Organizer
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Tom Ellett.
- Democratic Left, Sept./Oct. 1991, page 23
- Dem. Left, Sept./Oct. 1993, page 25
- Dem. Left Jan/Feb 1996