- 1 Activist history
- 2 DSA 2019 National Political Committee Candidates
- 3 Bernie supporter
- 4 Socialist Majority Caucus
- 5 Hawaii Democratic Socialists closed Facebook group
- 6 SOG official
- 7 YDSA group
- 8 DSA National Climate & Environmental Justice Working Group
- 9 Democratic Socialists Swag Swap
- 10 Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee
- 11 Ing supporters
- 12 #MarriottStrike
- 13 References
Timothy Zhu, was in March 2017, contact for Honolulu Democratic Socialists of America Organizing Committee.
"I joined DSA on November 9, 2016. I co-founded the Honolulu chapter of DSA in early 2017. I helped grow the organization from 3 founding members to regular monthly meetings of 50+ people, and nurtured a new core of elected leadership and organizers. I developed our electoral endorsement process for the 2018 elections, and helped set up the most robust canvassing and phonebanking operations of any non-union organization in the 2018 elections in Hawaii, and mobilized people for actions up to 100 people. Personal highlights for me in working with the Honolulu chapter include helping a member and teacher’s union leader win her race for State House, and building relationships between socialist members of union locals through our Labor Working Group. Our membership is diverse, in terms of race from Chinese to Hawaiian to Japanese to Samoan, and also in terms of ideologies ranging from communist to mildly social democratic to prioritizing indigenous sovereignty, and it’s been a great opportunity to organize a membership so diverse in viewpoints and backgrounds around common objectives.
I am a co-founder of Academic Labor United, a graduate union organizing committee at the University of Hawaii, and the current vice chair of its executive committee. I developed our committee’s organizing, political, communications, and media strategy. I developed a card check strategy that resulted in 400+ union authorization cards signed in less than a month this spring. I’ve also worked as a salt on a successful union recognition campaign and contract negotiations at a 230 room, 65 worker hotel. I’ve worked many jobs in my life, but the most defining ones for me have been in wildfire management, food and beverage, and higher education.
DSA 2019 National Political Committee Candidates
Democratic Socialists of America 2019 National Political Committee Candidates
• Austin Gonzalez • Sauce • Theresa Alt • Sean Estelle • Daniel Merrill • Darby Thomas • Russell Weiss-Irwin • Michelle Bruder Miller • Zac Echola • Jen Snyder • Jennifer Bolen • Blanca Estevez • Marsha Niemeijer • Marianela D'Aprile • Tawny Tidwell • Lloyd Goldsmith • Erika Paschold • Emily Cameron • Dan Quayle • Valerie Sinclair • Natalie Midiri • Ravi Ahmad Haque • Jose G. Perez • Tim Zhu • Rachel Zibrat • Abdullah Younus • Megan Svoboda • Maikiko James • Kristian Hernandez • David Pinkham • Hannah Allison • Jen McKinney • Austin Smith
Tim Zhu, was a Sanders supporter because of the senator's environmental record.
"He has the strongest position on climate change, that's one of the biggest concerns for me as an environmentalist," Zhu said. "He doesn't take money form big corporations, doesn't take money from fracking organizations, and I think he actually understands the urgency of climate change and is fighting for our future, not just for this generation, but future generations."
Socialist Majority Caucus
Hawaii Democratic Socialists closed Facebook group
Tim Zhu, in 2017, was the University of Hawaii, Manoa, Natural Resources and Environmental Management Department, SOG Vice-President.
DSA National Climate & Environmental Justice Working Group
Members of the DSA National Climate & Environmental Justice Working Group closed FB page, as of August 30, 2017 included Tim Zhu.
Democratic Socialists Swag Swap
Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee
In March 2018 Tim Zhu was involved with the Democratic Socialists of America Electoral Committee.
Honolulu Democratic Socialists of America July 29 2018:
Democratic Socialists of Honolulu November 28 2018: