- 1 Background
- 2 Council for a Livable World
- 3 Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
- 4 Jobs for America Task Force
- 5 LIBERT-E Act
- 6 JStreet endorsement
- 7 ARA endorsement, 2012
- 8 ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
- 9 PDA contact 2014
- 10 Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
- 11 Praising CAIR
- 12 New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- 13 2016 Cuba trip
- 14 2015 Cuba visit
- 15 External links
- 16 References
DelBene is a former Microsoft Executive and an independent entrepeneur.
Suzan DelBene was born in Selma, Alabama. She was the fifth child in her family. She has lived in Washington for most of her life. At a young age her family moved to Newport Hills, now Newcastle, WA. They later moved to Mercer Island. In a recent biographical video, DelBene described her family's trouble "paying bills" and the hardship they faced after her father, a long time airline pilot, lost his job.
After graduating from high school, DelBene went to Reed College in Portland, Oregon where she earned a Bachelor's degree. DelBene then continued her education at the University of Washington to earn a Masters Degree in Business Administration. 
Council for a Livable World
The Council for a Livable World, founded in 1962 by long-time socialist activist and alleged Soviet agent, Leo Szilard, is a non-profit advocacy organization that seeks to "reduce the danger of nuclear weapons and increase national security", primarily through supporting progressive, congressional candidates who support their policies. The Council supported Suzan DelBene (D-WA) in her 2010 Congressional election campaign.
Support for the Council on American Islamic Relations
Jobs for America Task Force
September 13, 2017 Press Release Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Darren Soto announced that he will serve in a leadership role in the House Democratic Caucus Jobs for America Task Force, a unified effort from the House Democratic Caucus to craft a real legislative agenda that will benefit hardworking Americans and middle-class families. The congressman will serve as co-chair for the New Economy Task Force, along with Representatives Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Debbie Dingell (D-MI), and Raja Krishnamoorthi (D-IL).
2012 CLW House victories
2012 Council for a Livable World House Victories were;
Ron Barber (D-AZ), Ami Bera (D-CA), Tim Bishop (D-NY) Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Bruce Braley (D-IA), Cheri Bustos (D-IL), Lois Capps (D-CA), Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Lois Frankel (D-FL), John Garamendi (D-CA), Joe Garcia (D-FL), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Colleen Hanabusa (D-HI), Denny Heck (D-WA), Steven Horsford (D-NV), Derek Kilmer (D-WA), Ann McLane Kuster (D-NH), Dave Loebsack (D-IA), Patrick Murphy (D-FL), Rick Nolan (D-MN), Raul Ruiz (D-CA), Brad Schneider(D-IL), Carol Shea-Porter(D–NH), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Mark Takano(D-CA) and John Tierney(D-MA)..
The Council said of DelBene when endorsing her;
- She is a strong supporter of President Obama’s vision of a nuclear weapons free world. She also opposed the invasion of Iraq and supports vigorous pursuit of a negotiated solution to the diplomatic stand-off with Iran.
- “Safety for Americans from terrorism and other threats must be our number one national security priority. And while a strong military is essential, I believe our efforts to deal with terrorism must also address the issues of global health, dependence on foreign oil, poverty, and nuclear proliferation.”
- DelBene’s Republican opponent is John Koster, a former State Representative. Koster is an ardent supporter of a strong military. He is also a supporter of Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-WI) budget plan, which funds a military buildup through cuts in social programs.
- DelBene proved her skills on the campaign trail when she nearly defeated Rep. Dave Reichert in Washington’s 8th Congressional District in 2010 despite the Republican wave that year. The 1st district has been represented since 1998 by Democratic Rep. Jay Inslee, who resigned to run for Governor this year. DelBene believes her chances are better running for an open seat in a Democratic district than against Reichert, an entrenched incumbent.
CLW Inauguration event
Council for a Livable World and the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation hosted an event on Monday, January 21, 2013 celebrating the second inauguration of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and theirr endorsed candidates in the 113th Congress. The event was held at the Phoenix Park Hotel ballroom across from Union Station and just two blocks from the U.S. Capitol.
A number of prestigious guests attended the event, including Senators Tammy Baldwin, Martin Heinrich, Angus King and Bernie Sanders, U.S. Representatives Suzan DelBene, Lois Frankel and Mark Takano, United Steel Workers International President Leo Gerard, host of The Ed Show on MSNBC, Ed Schultz and Vicki Hansen Thackray from the executive committee of Democrats Abroad.
United States Representatives Suzan DelBene (D-WA) and Mark Takano (D-CA) also addressed the reception audience.
June 18, Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI), Chairman of the House Liberty Caucus, and Rep. John Conyers, Jr. (D-MI), the Ranking Member on the House Judiciary Committee, announced the introduction of bipartisan legislation to address National Security Agency surveillance.
H.R. 2399, the Limiting Internet and Blanket Electronic Review of Telecommunications and Email Act (LIBERT-E Act), restricts the federal government’s ability under the Patriot Act to collect information on Americans who are not connected to an ongoing investigation. The bill also requires that secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) court opinions be made available to Congress and summaries of the opinions be made available to the public.
A coalition of 32 Members of Congress joined Conyers and Amash in introducing the bill. After introduction, Conyers and Amash issued the following statement:
The following Members of Congress cosponsored the legislation:
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) Rep. Judy Chu (D-CA) Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-WA) Rep. John Duncan (R-TN) Rep. William Enyart (D-IL) Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI) Rep. Chris Gibson (R-NY) Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-VA) Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-AZ) Rep. Rush Holt, Jr. (D-NJ) Rep. Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) Rep. Hank Johnson (D-GA) Rep. Walter B. Jones (R-NC) Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA) Rep. James McGovern (D-MA) Rep. Mike Michaud (D-ME) Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC) Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) Rep. Steve Pearce (R-NM) Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO) Rep. Trey Radel (R-FL) Rep. Matt Salmon (R-AZ) Rep. Mark Sanford (R-SC) Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) Rep. Peter Welch (D-VT) Rep. Ted Yoho (R-FL) 
JStreet endorsed her again 2016.
- Now serving her second term in Congress, DelBene is a strong supporter of Israel and a two-state solution. JStreetPAC is proud to support her again in 2016. 
ARA endorsement, 2012
ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
PDA contact 2014
In 2014 Progressive Democrats of America assigned activists to deliver their material to almost every US Congressman and Senator, Martin Chaney, was assigned as the contact for Rep. DelBene. In June it was Jonnee Denton.
Condemning Criticism of Islam legislation
On December 17, 2015, Rep. Don Beyer, Jr. introduced legislation condemning "violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States." The legislation is based on unsourced claims that there is a "rise of hateful and anti-Muslim speech, violence, and cultural ignorance," and a "disproportionate targeting" of "Muslim women who wear hijabs, headscarves, or other religious articles of clothing...because of their religious clothing, articles, or observances." The resolution, H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States 
The legislation was cosponsored by Rep. Michael Honda, Rep. Keith Ellison, Rep. Joseph Crowley, Rep. Andre Carson, Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Rep. Betty McCollum, Rep. Marcy Kaptur, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, Rep. Dan Kildee, Rep. Loretta Sanchez, Rep. Charles Rangel, Rep. Scott Peters, Rep. Brad Ashford, Rep. Alan Grayson, Rep. Mark Takai, Rep. Brian Higgins, Rep. William Keating, Rep. Raul Grijalva, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Rep. G.K. Butterfield, Rep. Gerry Connolly, Rep. Ruben Gallego, Rep. Cheri Bustos, Rep. John Delaney, Rep. Kathy Castor, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Rep. Michael Quigley, Rep. Elizabeth Esty, Rep. Joseph Kennedy III, Rep. Robin Kelly, Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson, Rep. Gregory Meeks, Rep. Grace Meng, Rep. Al Green, Rep. Katherine Clark, Rep. Adam Schiff, Rep. Alcee Hastings, Rep. Sam Farr, Rep. Frank Pallone, Rep. Jim McDermott, Rep. Barbara Lee, Rep. Donna Edwards, Rep. Robert Brady, Rep. Frederica Wilson, Rep. Michael Doyle, Rep. Albio Sires, Rep. Suzan DelBene, Rep. Judy Chu, Rep. Jared Polis, Rep. David Loebsack, Rep. Bill Pascrell, Rep. Debbie Dingell, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, Rep. Steve Cohen, Rep. Ruben Hinojosa, Rep. John Yarmuth, Rep. Niki Tsongas, Rep. Jim Langevin, Rep. Mark Pocan, Rep. John Conyers, Jr., Rep. Mark Takano, Rep. Tim Ryan, Rep. Jose Serrano, Rep. Hank Johnson, Rep. Paul Tonko, Rep. Zoe Lofgren, Rep. Chris Van Hollen, Rep. Lois Capps, Rep. David Price, Rep. Doris Matsui, Rep. Gwen Moore, Rep. Denny Heck, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, Rep. John Carney, Rep. Xavier Becerra, Rep. Eric Swalwell, Rep. John B. Larson, Rep. Dina Titus, Rep. Peter Welch, Rep. Lloyd Doggett, Rep. Jim Himes, Rep. Matt Cartwright.
“In Washington state, CAIR plays a central role in defending civil rights, encouraging political engagement and mutual understanding, and building partnerships in the community. I am always pleased to meet with members of the Washington state chapter of CAIR, and I applaud our local leaders for their continuing work to combat discrimination and to encourage an open dialouge among different communities in our region.” - Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-Wash.) (August 2014). 
"I applaud CAIR’s mission of encouraging open dialogue among different communities, protecting civil liberties and serving American Muslims across the country.”
Rep. Suzan DelBene (D-Wash.) (October 2017)
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- Suzan DelBene
2016 Cuba trip
2015 Cuba visit
Nov 10, 2015 Press Release Congresswoman Terri Sewell is joining U.S. Department of Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack on a Congressional delegation to Cuba to discuss opportunities to expand agricultural trade.
"Access to foreign markets and fair trade policies that benefit American workers are necessary components that will help Alabama exporters to continue to thrive and spur new job creation. President Obama took historic steps to chart a new course for U.S.-Cuba relations when he restored diplomatic relations between our two countries. This will undoubtedly serve as a catalyst for increased trade and investment opportunities in Cuba for Alabama businesses, especially those in our agriculture sector."
Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon, Representative Suzan DelBene of Washington, and Representative Kurt Schrader of Oregon are participating in the Cuba trip. The Congressional delegation is leaving Washington, D.C. on Wednesday and will return on Saturday.
- National Journal "The New Faces of the 113th Congress," November 15, 2012
- CLW, Suzan DelBene, Democrat - Open Seat Endorsed for House of Representatives by Council for a Livable World
- [Gregory Roberts, Democrats target Reichert over his no vote on stimulus Seattle Post-Intelligencer February 23, 2009]
- CLW website. Meet the Candidates, accessed Dec. 31, 2010
- Letters of Support for CAIR accessed January 26 2020
- Meet the Candidates, accessed April 10, 2013
- CLW, Suzan DelBene, Democrat - Open Seat Endorsed for House of Representatives by Council for a Livable World
- [http://blog.livableworld.org/story/2013/1/29/94232/6754, The Chain Reaction, CPrint Print this article Email Email this article Link Trackback Share Share Council for a Livable World celebrates the 57th Presidential Inauguration JAN 29, 2013 | POSTED BY CHRISTINE]
- NSA Surveillance: Amash, Conyers Introduce Major Bill, Bipartisan Coalition of 34 Members of Congress Propose LIBERT-E Act, Jun 18, 2013
- J Street The political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans
- JStreetPAC 2016 Endorsees
- PDA January 2014 Educate Congress Digest)
- PDA June 2013 Educate Congress Digest
- H.Res.569 - Condemning violence, bigotry, and hateful rhetoric towards Muslims in the United States, accessed December 26, 2015
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)
- NDC Member List
- Voice of America, Who's Aboard Air Force One to Cuba? March 20, 2016