Democratic Alternatives conference
On October 31 1987 Chicago Democratic Socialists of America, hosted the Illinois Democratic Alternatives conference.
Backing Carol Moseley Braun
- The 34th Annual Dinner was held on May 1, 1992 at the Congress Hotel in Chicago. The Master of Ceremonies was Michael Lighty, who was then the Executive Director of DSA. Sue Purrington, the Executive Director of Chicago NOW, and Dr. Quentin Young, President of Physicians for a National Health Program, were the honorees. The featured speaker was Jose LaLuz, who was the National Education Director of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union.
- Sue Purrington-We honor you as a career fighter for women's rights and equality...
- You were instrumental in persuading Carol Moseley Braun to start her campaign to become Senator from Illinois then you produced votes to back up your pledge of support.
Purrington later worked as a legislative aide to Braun.
Members had been allocated people to contact;
- Peter McLennon - Chui Garcia, Miguel Del Valle, Alice Palmer and Buzz Palmer, The Altged Group participants and John Steele.
- Dan Swinney - Carole Travis, UAW, Frank Lumpkin, Wisconsin Steel, Rev. Jim Reed, Methodist Church, Eddie Burke of the Teamsters.
- Carl Davidson - Slim Coleman, Helen Shiller, Don Weiner
- Madeline Talbott - South Suburban Action Conference
Others targeted for contact, but not assigned, included Clem Balanoff, Sue Purrington of NOW, Jane Ramsey at JCUA, Erlean Collins, Westside Black elected officials and PUSH, TWO and Joe Gardner's Project Hope.