- 1 Background
- 2 Politics
- 3 Labor Caucus
- 4 DSA pressure
- 5 Population Connection Donation
- 6 NARA connection
- 7 ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
- 8 2012 CLW House victories
- 9 Council for a Livable World
- 10 PowerPAC+ 2014 and 2015 Endorsements
- 11 PowerPAC+ support
- 12 "Social Justice Champions"
- 13 Progessive Caucus
- 14 Congressional Black Caucus
- 15 No cuts rally
- 16 Congressional Progressive Caucus PAC
- 17 Support from Onward Together
- 18 Staff
- 19 External links
- 20 References
He returned to Congress in 2018, after losing in 2014.
Steven Horsford, born and raised in Las Vegas, was elected to the United States Congress on November 6th, 2012, as Nevada's representative for its newly created Fourth Congressional District. Horsford is the first person to hold this House seat and the first African-American to serve in Nevada's federal delegation.
Before running for office, Steven served as the head of the Culinary Academy of Las Vegas. As the CEO of Nevada's largest labor-management partnership, he worked with local unions and Nevada hotels like MGM Resorts, Wynn Las Vegas, and Caesars Entertainment to train thousands of unemployed or underemployed Nevadans for work in the hospitality industry. To this day, the Academy continues to place 80 percent of their graduates with good-paying jobs.
Under Steven's leadership, the Culinary Academy also became the caterer of record for the world-renowned Smith Center for the Performing Arts and the Springs Preserve, a cultural and sustainability attraction in southern Nevada.
In 2004, Horsford was elected to the Nevada State Senate, and in 2008, he became Nevada's youngest and first African-American State Senate Majority Leader. During his tenure in Carson City, Horsford passed renewable energy legislation that positioned Nevada to become a leader in the green economy, prevented widespread teacher layoffs by negotiating a budget compromise that preserved funding for public schools, and worked across the aisle to pass bipartisan legislation that provided small businesses with tax relief and new companies incentives to relocate to Nevada.
In the Nevada Legislature, Steven Horsford served as chair of the Senate Committee on Finance and was a member of the Senate Committee on Health and Education and the Senate Committee on Government Affairs, among others.
The Labor Caucus is an official caucus in the U.S. House of Representatives co-chaired by Rep. Mark Pocan, Rep. Donald Norcross, Rep. Linda Sanchez, Rep. Tom Suozzi, Rep. Debbie Dingell, and Rep. Steven Horsford. The new caucus is comprised of over 90 members working to advance the needs of the labor movement, combat the issues facing working families, and connect legislators directly with unions and union leaders.
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America August 27 2019.
The Chair of our #MedicareForAll Subcommittee (James Patterson) talking to Rep. Horsford's staffer about setting up a meeting with the Congressman. We're looking forward to hearing back on that very soon! Stay tuned, y'all!" Democratic Socialists for Medicare for All Fight to Win Medicare for All Congressman Steven Horsford.
Las Vegas Democratic Socialists of America April 7 2019·
Another Sunday, another Great M4A canvassing event! Our M4A subcommittee is getting out into the community, talking to people about Healthcare and pressuring Steven Horsford to get on the same page as the majority of his constituents and support M4A.
Population Connection Donation
ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
2012 CLW House victories
2012 Council for a Livable World House Victories were;
Ron Barber (D-AZ), Ami Bera (D-CA), Tim Bishop (D-NY) Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Bruce Braley (D-IA), Cheri Bustos (D-IL), Lois Capps (D-CA), Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Lois Frankel (D-FL), John Garamendi (D-CA), Joe Garcia (D-FL), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Colleen Hanabusa (D-HI), Denny Heck (D-WA), Steven Horsford (D-NV), Derek Kilmer (D-WA), Ann McLane Kuster (D-NH), Dave Loebsack (D-IA), Patrick Murphy (D-FL), Rick Nolan (D-MN), Raul Ruiz (D-CA), Brad Schneider(D-IL), Carol Shea-Porter(D–NH), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Mark Takano(D-CA) and John Tierney(D-MA)..
The Council said of Horsford;
- While Horsford’s legislative work has not touched on foreign affairs, he has progressive views on national security issues. Horsford supports the vision of a nuclear weapons free world articulated by President Obama as well former Secretaries of State Henry Kissinger and George Schultz, former Senator Sam Nunn and former Secretary of Defense William Perry. He supports programs that secure loose nuclear materials vulnerable to terrorist threat, as well as negotiated solutions to the standoffs over North Korean and Iranian nuclear ambitions.
Council for a Livable World
He was endorsed again in 2020.
PowerPAC+ 2014 and 2015 Endorsements
PowerPAC+ 2014, 2015 endorsements;
- Stacey Abrams - Georgia State House
- Pete Aguilar - U.S. Congress, California-31
- Hector Balderas - Attorney General, New Mexico
- Cory Booker - U.S. Senate, New Jersey
- Wendy Davis - Governor of Texas
- Lucy Flores - Lieutenant Governor of Nevada
- Sandra Fluke - California State Senate, District-26
- Pete Gallego - U.S. Congress, Texas-23
- Jesus Garcia - Mayor of Chicago
- Kamala Harris - Attorney General, California
- Steven Horsford - U.S. Congress, Nevada-4
- Judithanne McLauchlan - Florida State Senate, District-22
- Joe Neguse - Colorado Secretary of State
- Michelle Nunn - U.S. Senate, Georgia
- Mark Takano - U.S. Congress, California-41
- Nina Turner - Ohio Secretary of State
- Marc Veasey– U.S. Congress, Texas-33
- Leticia Van de Putte - Lieutenant Governor of Texas
- Uduak Ntuk - Long Beach Unified School District Board
- Rebecca Thompson - Michigan State House
- You may have heard that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but in this election season, two rising politicians are putting the Silver State on national political radar. PowerPac+ is thrilled to announce that Congressman Steven Horsford and Lieutenant Governor hopeful Lucy Flores have sailed through their democratic primaries, and are setting their sights on victory in November!
- Steven and Lucy have already demonstrated their commitment to our core values at PowerPac+: issues like education, economic equality, and immigration. Last night’s victory for this dynamic duo confirms the power of the growing core of Latino voters that are increasingly driving political progress in Nevada. Below, we break down just a few of the ways Lucy and Steven are changing the game in their home state, and why it matters for all of us.
- Join us in supporting these two Nevada powerhouses on their way to victory in November! The change they embody could become a defining model of inclusive, multiracial politics in the Southwest and beyond.
"Social Justice Champions"
Shortly after the 2018 election Steven Horsford re-joined the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
Congressional Black Caucus
No cuts rally
Scores of seniors came to the U.S. Capitol October 2013, joined hands with Members of Congress, and formed a human chain in opposition to the Chained CPI formula and all benefit cuts to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. The Congressional Progressive Caucus hosted the demonstration, as Alliance for Retired Americans members joined with Social Security Works and other allies. The event was emceed by Congressional Progressive Caucus Co-Chair Keith Ellison (D-MN). Other Members of Congress at the event included Reps. Cheri Bustos (IL); David Cicilline (RI); Yvette Clarke (NY); John Conyers (MI); Elijah Cummings (MD); Rosa DeLauro (CT); Alan Grayson (FL); Mike Honda (CA); Steven Horsford (NV); Barbara Lee (CA); Sheila Jackson Lee (TX); Alan Lowenthal (CA); Dan Maffei (NY); Carolyn Maloney (NY); Jerrold Nadler (NY); Mark Pocan (WI); Jan Schakowsky (IL); Mark Takano (CA); and Paul Tonko (NY).
Congressional Progressive Caucus PAC
Support from Onward Together
- National Journal "The New Faces of the 113th Congress," November 15, 2012
- Congressional bio, accessed March 29, 2013
- PAC Donations (Accessed January 3, 2021)
- Meet the Candidates, accessed April 10, 2013
- CLW bio, accessed July 2013
- 2014 endorsements
- CPC website, accessed March 29, 2009
- Congressional Black Caucus: Members (accessed on Feb. 24, 2011)
- [http://retiredamericans.org/newsroom/friday-alert-archives/view/2013-10-activists-at-us-capitol-warn-dont-use-shutdown-to-cu ARA Activists at U.S. Capitol Warn: “Don’t Use Shutdown to Cut Benefits for Seniors” October 04, 2013]
- Onward Together website: PAC (accessed on June 12 2019)