Left Unity slate
June 6 2019:
We are writing this letter to hopefully provide some useful context around the leadership elections for Philly DSA. We are a group of comrades who have a diverse set of experiences with other chapters who have moved to Philadelphia under the tenure of the current chapter leadership. We would like to share our perspective on what we see as a critical choice facing Philly DSA...
We believe that only a unified left can win the fight for socialism. Philly DSA cannot effectively contribute to this fight if it continues to hemorrhage talented organizers who aren’t willing to be unquestioning footsoldiers for Momentum’s narrow political vision. We specifically joined DSA because it was not a “line” organization in the style of Trostkyist or Leninist left groups, but rather, a big tent where people were able to work across difference and learn from each others’ political traditions. We want Philly DSA to win the same victories that other chapters have won nationally, and we believe that a change in leadership is the only way that this will happen.
We hope you consider voting for the Left Unity slate, which is full of talented and committed organizers with a diverse set of experiences and a vision for the local that aligns with what we consider the best aspects of DSA.
- Adam Schlesinger (formerly Bronx/Upper Manhattan Branch, New York City Democratic Socialists of America, currently running for national delegate on the *Left Unity Slate)
- Alison Macrina (formerly Houston Democratic Socialists of America)
- Karl-Rainer Blumenthal (formerly Northside Chicago Democratic Socialists of America)
- Cem Surmeli (formerly Orange County Democratic Socialists of America)
- Aditi Sherikar (formerly San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America)
- John Hess (formerly Formerly Portage County Democratic Socialists of America, currently running for national delegate on the Left Unity Slate)
- Sam Schwartz (formerly Boston Democratic Socialists of America)
Philadelphia DSA Public Facebook Group
DSA Facebook Admin
Gay Space Communism Caucus
Members of the Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism Caucus, DSA, members, as of October 15, 2017 included Sam Schwartz;
Jewish Solidarity Caucus
Toward Radical Democracy
Toward Radical Democracy was a 2018 "Proposal for Internal Voting Reform in Boston DSA".
- If you would like to sign on in support of this proposal, please click here. To date, over 100 members of Boston DSA have endorsed it. We also welcome support from DSA comrades in other chapters.
Signatories also included non Boston comrades such as Sam Schwartz.