- 1 Venceremos
- 2 A Vision for Black Lives
- 3 World Courts of Women
- 4 New American Movement 10th convention
- 5 Texas DSA State Meeting
- 6 DSA Feminist Commission
- 7 Black Radical Congress
- 8 “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
- 9 Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- 10 Black Commentator
- 11 The Black Activist
- 12 Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
- 13 Left Forum 2010
- 14 Left Forum 2011
- 15 Left Forum Advisory Board
- 16 Online University of the Left
- 17 Black Left Unity December 2013
- 18 The Movement for Black Lives
- 19 LeftRoots
- 20 LeftRoots Unicorn Collective
- 21 References
Rose M. Brewer writes and teaches in the African American and African Studies Department on the Twin Cities campus, University of Minnesota. She is a long time activist scholar. She is the Morse Alumni Distinguished Professor of African American Studies at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities. She writes extensively on radical Black feminism, political economy, social movements and the Black Liberations Movement, publishing over 60 articles, book chapters and essays. her co-authored, The Color of Wealth received the Gustavus Meyer national book award in 2006 and she is one of the editors of the The United States Social Forum: Perspectives of a Movement, 2010. In 2012, she was an organizer of the Black Environmental Thought II conference at the University of Minnesota. Her deep commitment to ending racism, national oppression, sexism, imperialism, and economic exploitation in the U.S. and globally took root in Black student activism and local community struggles for social change. The struggle for her continues to be about fundamental social transformation. She is a core organizer of the United States Social Forum, a 2015 polycentric forum.
A Vision for Black Lives
An Immediate End to the Criminalization and Dehumanization of Black Youth Across All Areas of Society Including, but Not Limited to, Our Nation’s Justice and Education Systems, Social Service Agencies, Media, and Pop Culture.
Authors & Contributors of this 2017 report included ● Whitney Maxey, Miami Public School Teacher ● Kwame Torian Easterling, MD, MPH ● Monica McLemore, PhD, MPH, RN, University of California, San Francisco ● JoHanna Thompson, MPA ● Nimaako Brown, MPH, CHES ● Thena Robinson Mock, Education Law Center ● Ruth Jeannoel, Power U Center for Social Change ● Rachel Gilmer, Dream Defenders ● Chelsea Fuller, Advancement Project ● Marbre Stahly-Butts, Center for Popular Democracy ● Rachel Herzing Soros Justice Fellow ● Mary Hooks, Southerners On New Ground ● Mark-Anthony Johnson, Dignity and Power Now ● Tanya Greene, Attorney at Law ● Daryl Atkinson, Southern Coalition for Social Justice ● Andrea Ritchie, Soros Justice Fellow ● Arielle Humphries, Center for Popular Democracy ● Carl Lipscombe, Black Alliance for Just Immigration ● Crystal Peters, Center for Popular Democracy ● Chinyere Tutashinda, The Center for Media Justice ● Malkia Cyril, The Center for Media Justice ● Pete Haviland-Eduah, Million Hoodies Movement For Justice ● Kesi Foster, Urban Youth Collaborative ● Montague Simmons, Organization for Black Struggle ● DeAngelo Bester, Workers Center for Racial Justice ● Dorian Warren, Center for Community Change ● Dara Cooper, National Black Food and Justice Alliance ● Brandon King, Cooperation Jackson ● Linda Tigani ● Anja Rudiger, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative ● Cathy Albisa, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative ● Karl Kumodzi, Black Youth Project 100, Blackbird ● Steven Pitts, National Black Workers Center ● Richard Wallace, Workers Center for Racial Justice ● Benjamin Ndugga-Kabuye, Black Alliance for Just Immigration ● Erica Smiley, Jobs with Justice ● Patrick Mason, Ph.D., Florida State University, National Economic and Social Rights Initiative ● Beatriz Beckford, National Black Food and Justice Alliance ● Rose Brewer, PhD, University of Minnesota ● Ife Kilimanjaro ● Toussaint Losier, Chicago Anti Eviction Campaign ● Mya Hunter, Spirit House ● M. Adams, Freedom, Inc. ● Jonathan Stith, Alliance for Educational Justice ● Lumumba Bandele ● Emmanuel Caicedo, Demos ● Viviana Bernal, Demos ● Damon L. Daniels, Demos ● Trupania Bonner, Open Democracy Project/Crescent City Media Group
World Courts of Women
Collective and community rights:
The People’s Tribune met with four leaders of the World Courts of Women in Philadelphia: World Courts of Women Founder Corinne Kumar, Poor People’s Economic Human Rights Campaign Director Cheri Honkala, University of Minnesota Professor Dr. Rose Brewer, and Green Party 2012 presidential candidate Dr. Jill Stein. The World Courts of Women are public hearings held in countries around the world to document the lives of women, their human rights, their visions, and their strategies.
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Glenn Scott, Chair, Anti-racism Committee; Rose Brewer; Brenda Eichelberger, National Alliance of Black Feminists and Bob Niemann, LA NAM spoke on a mini-plenary entitled Racism and Reaganism at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Texas DSA State Meeting
A Texas Democratic Socialists of America State Meeting "Priorities for 1984 and Beyond" July 9 was held Education Building, Akiva Room.
- Rhonda Williams, Prof Economics UT Austin
- Timothy Sears, Bricklayers Union Houston
- Janice Heine, AFSC Texas/OK
- Larry Smith, College of the Mainland, Galveston
- Diana Osborne, Houston Organizing Project
- Ben Levy, Circuit Judge Houston
- Glenn Scott, DSA National Executive
- Norm Glickman, LBJ School UT Austin
- Rose Brewer, Sociology UT Austin
- Linn Rodriguez, CISPES
DSA Feminist Commission
Black Radical Congress
“Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century”
10th Anniversary Meeting of the Black Radical Congress, “Forging a Black Liberation Agenda for the 21st Century” Black Radical Congress, June 20-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri.
Endorsers for the Congress included Rose Brewer Scholar/activist-University of Minnesota.
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Rose Brewer, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
The Black Activist
Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout
Circa September 19, 2009, Rose Brewer signed a petition initiated by the Minnesota Coalition for a People’s Bailout entitled, Petition to Demand a People's Bailout which includes the statement, "Tax the rich, make them pay for their crisis!"
Left Forum 2010
The US Social Forum and US Social Movements: The Road from Atlanta to Detroit 2010:
- Walda Katz-Fishman, (Chair), Sociology and Anthropology, Howard University; US Social Forum; Board Chair, Project South
- Jerome Scott, League of Revolutionaries for a New America; USSF National Planning Committee
- Rose Brewer, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; USSF Gender Justice Working Group
- Harmony Goldberg, New York Study Group; Graduate Center of the CUNY
Left Forum 2011
- Cindy Wiesner, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance
- Helena Wong, CAAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Jerome Scott, League of Revolutionaries for a New America; National Planning Committee of the U.S. Social Forum
- Rose Brewer, Black Left Unity Network, University of Minnesota, Twin Cities; USSF Gender Justice Working Group
Left Forum Advisory Board
In 2009 the Left Forum Advisory Board included Gilbert Achcar, Tariq Ali, Ashanti Alston, Anthony Arnove, Robin Blackburn, Barbara Bowen, Jack Bratich, Rose Brewer, Renate Bridenthal, Michael Brie, Stephen Brier, Stephen Eric Bronner, Paul Buhle, Joseph Buttigieg, Luciana Castellina, Angela Dillard, Stephen Duncombe, Hester Eisenstein, Barbara Epstein, Deepa Fernandes, Hector Figueroa, Harriet Fraad, Josh Freeman, Barbara Garson, Heather Gautney, Marvin Gettleman, Arun Gupta, Jack Hammond, David Harvey, Gerald Horne, Boris Kagarlitsky, Robin D. G. Kelley, Christine A. Kelly, Peter Kwong, Joanne Landy, Jesse Lemisch, Michael Lowy, Nivedita Majumdar, Manning Marable, Randy Martin, Liz Mestres, Susan O'Malley, Cathy Mulder, Leo Panitch, Christian Parenti, Thomas Ponniah, Barbara Ransby, Michael Ratner, Jan Rehmann, Gerardo Renique, Rainer Rilling, Colin Robinson, Nan Rubin, Roger Salerno, Stephen R. Shalom, Neil Smith, Richard Smith, Meredith Tax, Eleni Varikas, Victor Wallis, Joseph Wilson.
Online University of the Left
The Online University of the Left, a new `Left Unity’ project, was initiated by the Committees of Correspondence for Democracy and Socialism in 2012. It’s core orientation is Marxist, but it contains teaching resources reflecting the full range of views on the wider left. About 50 left academics are involved in the core group so far-Richard Wolff, David Schweickart, Rose Brewer, Timothy Johnson, Gregory Morales, Bill Tabb, Ellen Schwartz, Jerry Harris, Linda Alcoff, Dana Cloud, Gar Alperovitz, to name a few.
One of the OUL’s key aims is to solve this problem of scattered resources, creating a web portal that will bring much of this valuable material together in one spot in cyberspace.
Black Left Unity December 2013
Group portrait at the conclusion of the December 21, 2013 Black Left Unity Network meeting. Seated, left to right: Ajamu Dillahunt, Saladin Muhammad, Abdul Alkalimat, Ashaki Binta, Kathy Knight. Standing, left to right: Roger Newell, J. R. Fleming, T. Menelik Van Der Meer, Dennis Orton, Kia Van Der Meer, Sam Anderson, Shafeah M'Balia, Rose Brewer, Anthony Monteiro, Toussaint Losier, Rukiya Dillahunt, Taliba Obu, Jonathan Stith, Carl Redwood, Tdka Kilimanjaro, Jamal Oliver, Akinjele Umoja.
The Movement for Black Lives
- Black Radical Women and Revolutionary Movement Building: Critical Insights and Actions, Rose Brewer.
In December, 2017, three LeftRoots cadres—Merle Ratner, N’Tanya Lee, and Rose Brewer—got to spend a few weeks on women’s delegation to Vietnam, one of the few surviving 20th century socialist experiments. On April 19, 2018, the three of them, along with LeftRoots compas and fellow delegates Cathy Dang and Juliet Ucelli, hosted a national LeftRoots hangOut to talk about their experience.
LeftRoots Unicorn Collective
- Freedom Summit 2014 speakers list
- [Out to Win 2 March 2020 https://journal.leftroots.net/in-cuba-we-can-glimpse-a-dream-becoming-a-reality/]
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- DSA Feminist Commission Directory, 1985
- 1986 DSA Feminist Commission Directory
- BRC Today Vol 1,Issue 4 p 11
- Info Exchange, 10th Anniversary Meeting of the Black Radical Congress, June 20-22, 2008
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran
- [Summer 2013 | The Black Activist | Issue 1]
- MN Coalition for a People's Bailout website: Petition, circa Sept. 19, 2009 (accessed on Oct. 5, 2010)
- CCDS discussion page, accessed July 8, 2012
- [ http://movementforblacklives.org/schedule/speakers/Movement for Black Lives conference program, accessed November 20, 2015]
- HANGOUT: REPORT-BACK FROM WOMEN’S DELEGATION TO VIETNAM