Young Democratic Socialists at USC, January 11, 2017; ·
The Democratic Socialists of America, which gathered July 2017 in Chicago for its biennial convention, passed a resolution on Saturday to endorse the BDS movement. The vote in favor was so overwhelming, with so few dissenters — more than 90 percent supported the resolution — that no formal tally was taken. It marked the first time in the group’s 35-year history that it has taken a position on the issue.
“I expected it to pass, but it did surprise me how overwhelming the support was,” said Rawan Tayoon, a Palestinian DSA activist from Los Angeles. Tayoon helped draft the resolution as part of a group that began its work in the spring.
Another drafter, Benjamin Balthaser, a Jewish Voice for Peace-Chicago member, who joined the DSA last year, said it was especially important for people from the Jewish community to make their voices heard on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. “The Israeli government says it represents all Jews in the world,” Balthaser, who is Jewish, told The Intercept. “And I think it’s very important for the Jewish community to say, ‘We don’t feel represented by an apartheid government. We don’t feel represented by a military occupation.'”
- Ajmal Alami, Co-Chair
- Michelle Fisher, Co-Chair
- Eliott Geary, At-Large Member
- Rawan Masri, At-Large Member
- Frida Perez, At-Large Member
- Sanjeev Rau, At-large Member
As of June 17, 2017, members included Rawan Tayoon.
YDS USC Reading Group
YDS USC Reading Group Public Facebook Group, accessed May 28, 2018.
- Reading group associated with the Young Democratic Socialists at the University of Southern California. This is a casual group for discussion of relevant radical literature. First book is The Wretched of the Earth!
Members included Rawan Tayoon.
- [https://theintercept.com/2017/08/06/dsa-democratic-socialists-bds-israel-palestine/ The Intercept, Zaid Jilani, AS CONGRESS TRIES TO CRIMINALIZE BDS, THE DEMOCRATIC SOCIALISTS OF AMERICA ENDORSE IT Zaid Jilani August 6 2017]