Panel Discussion on Housing
A Panel discussion headlined "New York City's Housing Crisis: Has it Always Been Here? Will it Ever Go Away?" occurred May 24, 2001.
- "Have New Yorkers always found decent and affordable housing to be in short supply? If so, why? And what's the prognosis for a different future? These are the questions explored by tonight's panel, which includes Yolanda Garcia, Executive Director, Nos Quedamos; Irene Baldwin, Executive Director, Association for Neighborhood and Housing Development; Peter Marcuse and Richard Plunz, Professors of Urban Planning at Columbia; Peter Salins, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, SUNY; Douglass Turetsky, Director of Policy, Analysis and Advocacy at United Neighborhood Houses and former editor of City Limits; and Kathryn Wylde, President and CEO of the NYC Partnership and Chamber of Commerce.
How Class Works
At the How Class Works - 2002 Conference, panels included; 2.4 Class and Public Policy
“ Class and Institutional Response to Homelessness”
- George S. Locker, Five Borough Institute, NYC
“ The Housing Shortage in New York City: Why It Pays Not to Build”
- Peter Marcuse, Columbia University – Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation
“ Class in Space: Does Globalization Make a Difference?”
Left Forum 2009
The Right to the City:
- Marnie Brady, (Chair) - Graduate Center, CUNY
- Rob Robinson, Picture the Homeless
- Haeyoung Yoon, CAAV Organizing Asian Communities
- Peter Marcuse, Professor Emeritus, Graduate School of Architecture, Columbia University
- David Harvey, Anthropology, CUNY
- Rene Francisco Poitevin, Director, Community Learning Initiative, Gallatin Faculty, New York University
- Nova Strachan, Mothers on the Move
- Esther Wang, Committee Against Anti-Asian Violence
Critical Resistance event
Friday, May, 20, 2011 Riverside Church, South Hall Admission: $50-$250. (includes admission to main event -"The World We Want is the World We Need". Riverside Church, Nave 490 Riverside Drive. Admission: $20-$30
Host Committee: Rashidah Ismaili AbuBakr, Malaika Adero, Seth Adler, Shana Agid, Sam Anderson, Kai Barrow, Andrea Bible, Jean Carey Bond, Dorothy Burnham, Melanie Bush, Rod Bush, Angela Cali, Susie Day, Jesse Ehrensaft-Hawley, Joan Gibbs, Elspeth Gilmore, Farah Jasmine Griffin, Lennox Hinds, Esther Cooper Jackson, Peter Marcuse, Jerry Meyer, Charlene Mitchell, Mary Morgan, Mary Lou Patterson, Beth E. Richie, Shreya Shah, Alvin Starks, Farrah Tanis, Laura Whitehorn.
Left Forum 2015
Transformative Organizing in the City. From the Right to the City to Radical Democracy?
- David Scheller Chair, GCSC, Justus-Liebig-University Giessen
- Brian McCarthy 16Beaver Group, NYC
- Robert Robinson Left Forum Board of Directors
- Kendall Jackman Organizing Committee, Co-Founder Bronx Organizers, Right to the City Alliance, NYC
- Peter Marcuse GSAPP, Columbia University, NYC
- Tashy Endres Kotti&CoTenants Collective, Berlin Ballot-Initiative on Rents 2016, Researcher at UdK Berlin