- 1 Education
- 2 Fight for Racial and Economic Justice
- 3 Democratic Socialists of America Urban and Community Commission
- 4 DSA Conference delegate
- 5 DSA activist
- 6 Working for Ray Flynn
- 7 Campaign for America's Future
- 8 Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
- 9 The Next Agenda Conference
- 10 Progressive Los Angeles Network
- 11 Villaraigosa "talent pool"
- 12 Democratic Socialists of America conference
- 13 Progressives for Obama
- 14 Liberty Hill Foundation
- 15 Social Policy
- 16 Cry Wolf Project
- 17 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 18 DSA North Star
- 19 References
He is a member of Los Angeles Democratic Socialists of America and coeditor, with Kate Aronoff and Michael Kazin, of We Own the Future: Democratic Socialism American Style, forthcoming, New Press, January 2020.
Ph.D, University of Chicago, 1977.
Fight for Racial and Economic Justice
The Fight for Racial and Economic Justice: A Virtual Discussion with Darrick Hamilton, Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, Symone Baptiste, Olufẹemi Taiwo, and Bianca Cunningham. Wednesday, December 16th at 8pm ET/7pm CT/6pm MT/5pm PT.
Democratic Socialists of America Urban and Community Commission
- Peter Dreier Dept of Sociology, Tufts University, Massachusetts
- Randy Cunningham Ohio
DSA Conference delegate
Working for Ray Flynn
When Democratic Socialists of America leader Michael Harrington was dying of cancer, in the late 1980s, he came to Boston to give a speech at an anti-poverty organization. DSA member Peter Dreier asked then Mayor Ray Flynn [whom he worked for at the time and had previously introduced to Harrington] if he wanted to go to hear him speak because he probably wouldn’t be alive for very much longer, and if he wanted to get together with him afterwards.
Ray Flynn said, “I got a better idea. Let’s proclaim Michael Harrington Day, and give him a key to the city.” Wrote Dreier, "how many big city mayors will make a day for a leading socialist? Ray did that because he was so taken with Mike. In fact, lots of times when Flynn would ask me about different issues he would say, “What would your friend Mike do about this?"
Campaign for America's Future
Socialists organize to "challenge for power" in Los Angeles
Tarzynski listed 25 people he thought should be on an "A-list" of "25 or so leaders/activists/intellectuals and/or "eminent persons" who would gather periodically to theorize/strategize about how to rebuild a progressive movement in our metropolitan area that could challenge for power."
Tarzynski listed himself, Harold Meyerson, Karen Bass, Sylvia Castillo, Gary Phillips, Joe Hicks, Richard Rothstein, Steve Cancian, Larry Frank, Torie Osborn, Rudy Acuna, Aris Anagnos, Abby Arnold, Carl Boggs, Blase Bonpane, Rick Brown, Stanley Sheinbaum, Alice Callahan, Jim Conn, Peter Dreier, Maria Elena Durazo, Miguel Contreras, Mike Davis, Bill Gallegos, Bob Gottlieb, Kent Wong, Russell Jacoby, Bong Hwan Kim, Paula Litt (and Barry Litt, with a question mark), Peter Olney, Derek Shearer, Clancy Sigal and Anthony Thigpenn.
Included in a suggested elected officials sub-group were Mark Ridley-Thomas, Gloria Romero, Jackie Goldberg, Gil Cedillo, Tom Hayden, Antonio Villaraigosa, Paul Rosenstein and Congressmen Xavier Becerra, Henry Waxman and Maxine Waters.
Tarzynski went on to write "I think we should limit the group to 25 max, otherwise group dynamics begins to break down....As i said, I would like this to take place in a nice place with good food and drink...it should properly be an all day event."
The Next Agenda Conference
Progressive LA: The Next Agenda Conference was held On October 20, 2001 in Los Angeles at the California Science Center.
The Progressive Los Angeles Network (PLAN) and the Institute for America’s Future "will co-sponsor an important conference -- the Next Agenda Conference -- designed to celebrate recent victories, build upon Los Angeles’ progressive momentum, and link local issues with a national progressive agenda. The conference will also help solidify a more strategic and integrated progressive movement in Los Angeles".
Progressive Los Angeles Network
Villaraigosa "talent pool"
According to Harold Meyerson of the LA Weekly, newly elected Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa can call on a "locally based progressive talent pool" that includes such policy activists as Occidental government professor Peter Dreier and nonprofit housing advocate Jan Breidenbach (in housing), Roxana Tynan of the Los Angeles Alliance for a New Economy (in development), Larry Frank of UCLA’s Labor Center (in work-related issues), and the Liberty Hill Foundation’s Torie Osborn (for general administrative genius).
Democratic Socialists of America conference
An "insurgent" Hilda Solis was a keynote speaker at the 2005 Democratic Socialists of America national conference "Twenty-First Century Socialism" in Los Angeles, with DSA leaders Peter Dreier and Harold Meyerson.
- Saturday evening delegates recognized the contributions of DSA vice chair and Washington Post]columnist Harold Meyerson, Occidental College sociologist and longtime DSAer Peter Dreier and insurgent California Congress member Hilda Solis (D) who in turn provided in-depth perspectives of the political scene.
Progressives for Obama
Liberty Hill Foundation
As at 2009, Peter Dreier was a member of the Advisory Board of the Liberty Hill Foundation, a Los Angeles based organization seeking to advance movements for social change through a combination of grants, leadership training and alliance-building.
Cry Wolf Project
The Cry Wolf Project was established in 2010 to counter conservative attempts to stop or discredit "progressive" policy options.
Cry Wolf Project Coordinators
- Peter Dreier, E.P. Clapp Distinguished Professor of Politics, Director of the Urban & Environmental Policy program, Occidental College
- Donald Cohen, Executive Director, Center on Policy Initiatives
- Nelson Lichtenstein, Professor of History at UC Santa Barbara and Director of the Center for the Study of Work, Labor, and Democracy
Project Advisory Board
- Robert Kuttner, Co-founder & Co-editor, American Prospect
- Gerald Markowitz, PhD, John Jay College, CUNY
- David Rosner, PhD; Co-Director, Center for the History & Ethics of Public Health
- Alice O’Connor, PhD, UC Santa Barbara
- Janice Fine, PhD, Rutgers University
- Andrea M. Hricko, MPH; Southern CA Environmental Health Sciences Center
- Jennifer Klein PhD, Yale University
- Meg Jacobs PhD, MIT
- William Forbath JD, PhD, University of Texas Law School
- Tom Sugrue PhD, University of Pennsylvania
- Lizabeth Cohen PhD, Harvard University
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included Peter Dreier.
DSA North Star
In 2018 Peter Dreier was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
- DSA Keylist newsletter, July 1982
- DSA Conference delegate list Oct. 12 1983 update
- Revised list of committees of the 1994-1995 DSA National Political Committee
- http://www.dsausa.org/dl/Winter_2006.pdf Democratic Left, Winter, 2006]
- CAF Co-Founders
- [Announce Oct. 20: Progressive LA Conference announce-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu announce-admin at comm-org.utoledo.edu. Tue Oct 16 10:22:22 CDT 2001]
- PLAN website, accessed October 2011
- Weekly, New Mayor, New City, By Harold Meyerson Thursday, May 19 2005
- Liberty Hill website: Advisory Board
-  George Mason University History News Network, accessed June 13, 2010