Gavin Newsom Recall Election
Leftist organizations joined forced to stop the recall election of Governor Gavin Newsom, scheduled to take place on September 14, 2021. An open letter dated April 29, 2021 to stop the recall election was initiated by Courage California "and 24 partner organizations and community leaders." Angela Chavez was listed as contact.
Pete Woiwode signed the letter:
- Los Angeles — In response to the certification of signatures to qualify the gubernatorial recall for the 2021 ballot, Courage California and 24 partner organizations and community leaders announced their unified opposition to the recall of the governor as a right-wing attempt to roll back decades of community-driven progress.
- The 25 organizations and leaders released the following joint statement:
- “The recall is not about Governor Gavin Newsom — it’s an attack on our communities and what Californians have long fought for, from immigrant and refugee rights, to criminal justice reforms, to universal healthcare. Supporters of the recall and Republican leaders claim that the recall is about the Governor’s COVID-19 response, but we see through that thin veil and want to expose their anti-justice and anti-immigrant agenda that threatens to set us back 30 years. We stand together against the recall today to defend the values that the majority of Californians believe in — equity, justice, and accountability for all of us.
- “We call on all Californians who share the belief that no human is illegal, every person deserves clean air and water, no one should go hungry, every worker should earn at least a living wage, and everyone should be able to access affordable and holistic healthcare to unite with us against the recall. In the face of the pandemic, we mobilized for a historic year of racial justice uprisings and voter turnout and demanded changes that were long overdue. We are seeing movement on our demands now, and we can’t afford to — not just stop — but go backward. We need to turn out to vote against the recall for ourselves, our families, and our communities.”
- As trusted messengers of diverse communities and causes, this coalition provides a unified forward-looking and values-driven voice that is independent of the parties and campaigns. The coalition will continue to work against the recall, countering right-wing misinformation and turning out voters for this special election. Voter engagement and accountability are important to a healthy democracy in California, and Courage California and our 24 partners strive for a government that works for everyone.
- Bay Rising Action
- Black Women for Wellness Action Project
- California Environmental Justice Alliance (CEJA) Action
- California League of Conservation Voters
- CHIRLA Action Fund
- Climate Hawks Vote
- Communities for a New California Action Fund
- Fund Her
- Inland Empire United
- NARAL Pro-Choice California
- NRDC Action Fund
- PowerCA Action
- Smart Justice California
- UDW AFSCME Local 3930
- Voices for Progress
- Honorable Shay Franco-Clausen, Vice Chair, Open Space Authority
- Surina Khan, CEO, Women's Foundation California
- Ted Mermin, Director, California Low-Income Consumer Coalition
- RL Miller, DNC member and chair emeritus, California Democratic Environmental Caucus
- Nona Randois, public interest attorney, nonprofit director
- Angel Rice
- Pete Woiwode
- Courage California, formerly Courage Campaign, works to unite communities organizing for progressive change, fight the forces of corruption, and hold our representatives to account in order to ensure that California’s elected officials act with courage. Our community of members envision California as a model of progressive, equitable, and truly representative democracy that sets the standard for our country.
Ella Baker Center supporter
Caring Across Generations flashmob
Gordon Mar May 10, 2013.
Caring Across Generations flashmob action at Senator Feinstein's office - Build the World That We Want! With good jobs, fully funded services and quality and affordable care for all! — with La Colectiva de Mujeres, Chyanne Chen, Tony Robles, Maria Guillen, Ken Wang, Guillermina Castellanos, Maria Hernandez, Claudia Reyes, Jane Martin, Lisa Adler, Michael Lyon, Bjorn Toulouse, Sascha Bittner, Nikki Brown Booker, Hene Kelly, Sarah Jarmon, Steph St. Clair, Pete Woiwode and Jobs with Justice San Francisco at One Post Plaza.
Apple tax protest
Gordon Mar June 13, 2013.
Action demanding that Apple pay its fair share in taxes — with Feng Kung, Guillermina Castellanos, Pilar Schiavo, Pete Woiwode, John Eller, Shanell Williams, Peter Menchini and Lily Wang at Moscone West Convention Center.
- COURAGE CALIFORNIA JOINED BY 31 STATE LEADERS TO OPPOSE GOVERNOR RECALL (accessed August 23, 2021)
- http://www.ellabakercenter.org/index.php?p=ebc_supporters_2009 Ella Baker Center website: 2009 Supporters] (accessed on March 28, 2010)