Paul Piesse is a New Zealand activist.
Socialist Action League
Ode to fallen comrade
In November 1992, Locke wrote to the Green Left Weekly along with fellow leftists Paul Piesse, Petronella Townsend, Matt Robson and Lew Stribling, offering condolences on death of Australian Democratic Socialist Party leader Jim Percy. Said "We have known Jim since 1970. Since that time we have shared the same socialist vision and suported the same struggles against oppression. Through two decades we kept in contact with Jim and benefitted from sharing political ideas and experiences...Jim was with us in our early political development as members of the Socialist Action League in New Zealand. He was also alongside us when we formed the New Labour Party. He contributed his political ideas and experience to the NLP in a comradely and supportive way. He saw the NLP as a progressive development which could revitalise socialism in New Zealand and have a positive effect in Australia...We cannot be with you at the funeral of our comrade. However it is a maori tradition to sing at a funeral. We therefore request that when the Internationale is sung that it be recognised that the voices of Jim's comrades in New Zealand have also been raised as a final tribute to a respected fighter of the people".
NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
US Embassy letter/Cuban 5
On 6 April 2009 US Embassy in Wellington refused to accept a hand delivered letter from MPs, City Councillors, trade unionists, church leaders,academics and other New Zealanders calling on the US Government not to oppose the petition to the US Supreme Court for the release of the Cuban 5.
An attempt to deliver the letter was made by Wellington City Councillor, Ray Ahipene-Mercer and Secretary of the Weliington Cuba Friendship Society Gillian Magee but US Embassy Guards said they would not accept a hand delivered letter.
- Dear Attorney General Holder
- We, the undersigned New Zealanders are writing this letter to you on the eve of the US Government submitting a brief in response to the 30 January 09 petition to the Supreme Court and the twelve separate amicus curiae briefs that were filed in the US Supreme Court on 6 March 2009 regarding the unjust incarceration of five Cuban citizens - Gerardo Hernández Nordelo, René González Sehweret, Ramón Labañino Salazar, Antonio Guerrero Rodríguez and Fernando González Llort - known as the Cuban 5.
- We urge the United States Government to acknowledge that a complete miscarriage of justice has taken place regarding the Cuban 5 and to support, rather than oppose, a review of the conviction by the Supreme Court. We urge you to immediately release the Cuban 5.
Signatories included Paul Piesse, Alliance Party President.
The 2012 CAFCA AGM was held at the Christchurch WEA on September 24. 16 members were present. They were: James Ayers, Murray Horton, Warren Brewer, John Ring, Paul Piesse, Colleen Hughes, Brian Turner, Katherine Peet, John Peet, Bill Willmott, Daphne Crampton, Bruce Tulloch, Daniela Bagozzi, Steffan Browning, Lynda Kitchingham and Susan Miller.
Cuba Friendship group
The formal establishment of the Group of Friendship with Cuba in the city of Dunedin marked an important guideline in the context of the International Campaign for the liberation of the Cuban Five.
The constitution of the Group took place on the occasion of the visit of the Ambassador of Cuba Maria del Carmen Herrera Caseiro to this city in connection with the opening of the exhibition of cartoons by Gerardo Hernández.
The formalization of this new group, which will be coordinated by Mr. Victor Billot and Ms. Jenny Olsen, "strengthens the solidarity movement with Cuba in the 5 major cities of New Zealand, including: Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin, and will extend the network of friends who support and defend Cuba over New Zealand geography".
Dunedin, October 3, 2013. In the context of the International Campaign for the liberation of the Cuban Five unjustly imprisoned in the United States a just recognition was granted to two prominent New Zealand activists for their continuing efforts on behalf of the cause of the Five Cuban patriots.
The tribute took place as part of the opening ceremony of the exhibition of cartoons by Gerardo Hernandez in the city of Dunedin, in which Mr. Warren Brewer and Paul Piesse, representatives Christchurch Solidarity Group, received from the hands of the Ambassador of Cuba Maria del Carmen Herrera Caseiro a reproduction of the Work painted by Cuban painters and a letter of gratitude on behalf of the Five and their families.
- This recognition will be extended to other friends in other cities in New Zealand, who like Warren and Paul have spared no effort in the battle for the liberation of the Cuban Five. 
Cuban embassy connection
1982 - Ken Douglas led an FOL delegation to the WFTU 10th Congress in Cuba, along with Larry Sutherland, Paul Piesse and Gus Ricketts. Among the speakers was Fidel Castro.. Before Cuba, the delegation spent a few days in Moscow and Leningrad,
- Green Left Weekly Number 80 November 1992
- Initiating Members and Supporters of the NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- SCOOP, US Embassy Refuses Letter From MPs. Crs. Unionists Tuesday, 7 April 2009, 9:36 am Press Release: NZ Committee to Free the Cuban Five
- FRIENDSHIP GROUP FORMALLY ESTABLISHED IN DUNEDIN, Embassy of Cuba in NZ - Newsletter - Special Edition 6,Tuesday, 29 October 2013
- Cuba Diplomatic, TWO NEW ZEALAND FEATURED ACTIVISTS IN THE BATTLE FOR THE LIBERATION OF THE FIVE CUBAN HEROES RECEIVE RECOGNITION