Patrick Murphy is a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives, representing the 18th district of Florida. Murphy defeated incumbent Allen West (R) in the November 2012 general election.
2012 CLW House victories
2012 Council for a Livable World House Victories were;
Ron Barber (D-AZ), Ami Bera (D-CA), Tim Bishop (D-NY) Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Bruce Braley (D-IA), Cheri Bustos (D-IL), Lois Capps (D-CA), Suzan DelBene (D-WA), Lois Frankel (D-FL), John Garamendi (D-CA), Joe Garcia (D-FL), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Colleen Hanabusa (D-HI), Denny Heck (D-WA), Steven Horsford (D-NV), Derek Kilmer (D-WA), Ann McLane Kuster (D-NH), Dave Loebsack (D-IA), Patrick Murphy (D-FL), Rick Nolan (D-MN), Raul Ruiz (D-CA), Brad Schneider(D-IL), Carol Shea-Porter(D–NH), Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ), Mark Takano(D-CA) and John Tierney(D-MA)..
The Council said of Murphy;
- Murphy currently serves as Vice President of Coastal Environmental Services, which specializes in disaster relief and environmental cleanup. In 2010, he spent six months in the Gulf of Mexico leading the company's efforts to remove oil spilled during the BP disaster. Coastal Environmental has been named one of the nation's top "Green Contractors." He is also the Co-Chair of Coastal Cares, which guides the firm's philanthropic work for local and regional charities.
- Murphy presents a clear alternative to West's hard-right policy positions, particularly on foreign policy and national security issues. He believes that while the United States must confront global threats, it is better to do so with careful diplomacy than reckless use of military force.
Council for a Livable World 2016
Council for a Livable World Senate endorsed candidates in 2016 were Catherine Cortez Masto (Nev), Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), Russ Feingold (D-Wis.), Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.), Ann Kirkpatrick (D-Ariz.), Patrick Murphy (D-Fla.), Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Deborah Ross (D-N.C.), Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), Joe Sestak (D-Pa.), Ted Strickland (D-Ohio).
According to the Council;
- Writing in the liberal magazine “American Prospect,” columnist Adele Stan wrote, “As much as I would like to see another progressive Democrat in the elite club of the upper chamber, Alan Grayson is not that guy.” She added that Grayson is “a high-risk venture for the progressive movement.”
- As a result, many liberal Democratic Senators are backing Murphy, including Sherrod Brown (OH), Al Franken (MN), Chris Murphy (CT) and Amy Klobuchar (MN).
- So too are the five unions that have endorsed a candidate, including the Teamsters, AFSCME and the Machinists. Add J Street, the group that describes itself as pro-Israel and pro-peace, to this list of endorsees.
- The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee has endorsed Murphy as the candidate most likely to gain the seat and help Democrats win a Senate majority.
- Current polls show Grayson slightly ahead of Murphy, but half of the electorate remain undecided. Murphy is an excellent fundraiser; as he will need to be. Florida is a very expensive state in which to run. In the last quarter, Murphy raised $1.45 million compared to $491,000 for Grayson. The Murphy campaign, carefully marshalling its funds for very costly advertising, had $4.3 million in his campaign treasury, giving him a 17 – 1 cash-on-hand advantage.
- He has declared:
- One of the reasons I ran for Congress was because I was so disillusioned with the direction our country was heading into because of the Iraq War. I believe we needed to change course and to limit our involvement in overseas wars when we could be investing in schools and infrastructure here in the U.S. Additionally, as a Member of Congress I have consistently called for smarter military spending. As a Certified Public Accountant, I know that one of the ways we can start having smarter military spending is through an audit of the Pentagon.
In June 2013 Progressive Democrats of America assigned activists to deliver their material to almost every US Congressman and several Senators. Jill Sheridan, was assigned as contact for Rep. Murphy.
A memo detailing the creation and agenda of the National Muslim Democratic Council that is marked "CONFIDENTIAL; NOT FOR PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION" was leaked. In the section marked "2012 election strategy" the group specifically spelled out detailed plans to support the Democrats and target Republicans in "key races where American Muslims can make a difference."
According to the document, these races included:
- Defeating Rep. Allen West, R-Fla., in his race against Patrick Murphy, D-Fla.;
- Supporting former Gov. Tim Kaine, D-Va., in his race against former Sen. George Allen, R-Va., in the race for Virginia's vacant Senate seat;
- Supporting Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., in her bid for re-election against former House Intelligence Committee Chairman Pete Hoekstra, R-Mich.;
- And, supporting Joyce Beatty, D-Ohio, in her bid to capture the state's 3rd congressional district.
The confidential NMDC document was signed by several known Islamists such Jamiah Adams, Jihad Williams, Zeba Iqbal, Assad Akhter, Mazen Asbahi, CAIR's Basim Elkarra; and Linda Sarsour of the Arab American Association of New York.
JStreet support, 2012
In Florida’s 18th district, JStreet endorsee Patrick Murphy defeated Tea Party firebrand Rep. Allen West. West went so far as to say that American Jews who support Middle East peace are “not as pro-Israel as they should be.” Murphy prevailed with $30,000 in support from JStreetPAC, as well as strategic web advertising and a mail piece behind him.
JStreet endorsement, 2014
ARA endorsement, 2012
ARA endorsement, 2014
New Democrat Coalition, 113th Congress
- Patrick Murphy
“I congratulate you on preserving this wonderful tradition of bringing different members of the community together in celebration of your dedication to the defense of civil liberties.” -Rep. Patrick E. Murphy (D-Fla.) (January 2013). 
Friend of DSA?
Rep. Patrick Murphy appears to be a "friend" of Democratic Socialists of Daytona Beach.
- National Journal "The New Faces of the 113th Congress," November 15, 2012
- Meet the Candidates, accessed April 10, 2013
- CLW bio, accessed July 2013
- CLW 2016 Senate candidates
- PDA June 2013 Educate Congress Digest
- Street Blog, JStreetPAC Scores Big in 2012 Election NOVEMBER 7TH, 2012
- J Street The political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans
- ARA endorsements 2012
- NDC Member List
- [https://www.cair.com/images/pdf/What-They-Say-About-CAIR.pdf What They Say About CAIR (October 2014)