Occupy Springfield IL
The Occupy Springfield IL demonstration is a part of the Occupy Movement which began on Sept. 17, 2011 with the original Occupy Wall Street demonstration in New York City. The demonstrators have been holding events and general assemblies at AFSCME Council 31 offices located at 615 South Second St., Springfield, IL 62701.
The following have spoken at teach-ins and events held by OSI:
- Dr. Richard Gilman-Opalsky, Associate Professor of Political Science at UIS. Opalsky facilitated "a discussion on the topic of revolution and insurrection."
- John Hanlon, attorney specializing in social justice issues
- Dr. Gwen Jordan, Associate Professor of Legal Studies at UIS
Dec. 8 Action
- "The Springfield & Central Illinois Trades and Labor Council organized an informational picket in front of GOP Congressman Aaron Schock's office because he has joined with his Republican colleagues to block the extension and every single proposal for jobs creation by the Obama administration. Joining the protest was City Council member Doris Turner and Occupy Springfield Illinois (OSI). OSI has worked with the labor movement often, including a recent protest in the state capitol building to block passage of a tax giveaway demanded by Chicago Mercantile Exchange and Sears Holding Co.
- Earlier that day, OSI activists Drew Duzinskas and John Keating had chalked the sidewalk in front of Schock's office with slogans demanding the congressman not let down the unemployed workers including 85,000 in Illinois alone. They expected the drawings would be part of the protest. But apparently Schock's office was offended and washed down the sidewalk. Determined to get their message across, Duzinskas and Keating re-chalked the sidewalks during the protest. After the picket, Schock's staff removed the messages and complained to police. OSI activists returned later that night to once again re-chalk. This time Springfield police were there and immediately arrested Duzinskas and Keating for "writing large political messages" on the sidewalk."
- OSI website: Tuesday, Dec. 13th – 7:15PM, Dec. 10, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 14, 2011)
- OSI website: UPDATE – OSI Appoints Spokesman to Address Senate Committee Regarding SB397 – 11/16/11, Nov. 15, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 14, 2011)
- Occupy Springfield IL website: Events (accessed on Dec. 14, 2011)
- People's World: Sidewalk "chalk" protest for unemployment benefits becomes a crime, Dec. 13, 2011 (accessed on Dec. 14, 2011)