Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council
Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council is "a new national group of leading Muslim and Jewish Americans, was launched...at a meeting convened by the American Jewish Committee (AJC) and the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)."
The council is "focusing on developing a domestic policy agenda...includes topics like immigration and refugee issues, religious liberty as it applies to 'reasonable accommodations of religious practices in the workplace,' and improving enforcement of hate crimes laws already on the books."
From the press release dated November 14, 2016:
At the group's inaugural meeting, the Muslim and Jewish participants met for two hours to get to know one another, discuss the Council's mission, and identify and agree on a domestic policy agenda.
- The Council will highlight the contributions of Muslims and Jews to American society, and aim to celebrate their contributions in the best traditions of American democracy.
- The Council will develop a coordinated strategy to address anti-Muslim bigotry and anti-Semitism in the U.S.
- The Council will work to protect and expand the rights of religious minorities in the U.S., as enshrined in the Constitution, so they may practice their faiths in full freedom and security.
Keith Ellison TweetsKeith Ellison tweets support of the Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council on November 21, 2016.
Reaction to Donald Trump Election
American Jewish Committee
The actual policy proposal was a "program tracking visitors to the United States from countries with active terrorist threats," not a "Muslim registry."
David Harris was quoted as saying:
- "...singling out any ethnic or faith group to register with the government is both morally repugnant and unconstitutional...Targeting all Muslims is a horror movie that we Jews are all too familiar with. It can easily lead to heightened discrimination, persecution, and scapegoating. In the United States, there is no place – no place, whatsoever – for this kind of divisive, hateful rhetoric."
Of the incoming Trump administration Robert Silverman, American Jewish Committee director of Muslim-Jewish relations commented, “We’re not going to assume the worst. We want to work with the new administration, but we’ll be very vigilant. If there are any kind of bigotry statements, we’re going to be one of the first to speak out.”
Islamic Society of North America
- "Many American Muslims are traumatized by the result of the election and the fear of what is to come. It is important as a community that the healing process begin. We remain a hopeful community that will continue to be civilly engaged and prepared to work with our fellow Americans towards the common good."
- Stanley Bergman, CEO of Henry Schein, Co-Chair of the Council
- Farooq Kathwari, President and CEO of Ethan Allen, Co-Chair of the Council
- Ms. Raheemah Abdulaleem, KARAMAH
- Ms. Shakila Ahmad, Islamic Center of Greater Cincinnati
- Chaplain Tahera Ahmad, Northwestern University
- Imam Shamsi Ali, Nusantara Foundation
- Ms. Roberta Baruch, AJC Commission on Interreligious Affairs
- Mr. Stanley Bergman, Henry Schein Inc.
- Rabbi Angela Buchdahl, Central Synagogue
- Ms. Rabia Chaudry, United States Institute of Peace
- Senator Norman Coleman, Hogan Lovells
- Mr. Steven Collis, AmerisourceBergen
- Rabbi Joshua Davidson, Congregation Emanu-El of the City of New York
- Ambassador Stuart Eizenstat, Covington & Burling LLP
- Imam Plemon El-Amin, World Pilgrims
- Mr. David Harris, American Jewish Committee
- Mr. S.A. Ibrahim, Radian Group
- Congressman Steve Israel, United States House of Representatives
- Mr. Farooq Kathwari, Ethan Allen Interiors
- Mr. Suhail Khan, Microsoft Corporation
- Ms. Daisy Khan, Women's Islamic Initiative for Spirituality & Equality (WISE)
- Mr. Farhan Latif, El-Hibri Foundation
- Mr. David Levin, McGraw Hill Education
- Mr. Moses Libitzky, Libitzky Property Companies
- Senator Joseph Lieberman, Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman LLP
- Dr. Deborah Lipstadt, Emory University
- Imam Mohamed Magid, All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS)
- Mr. Talat Othman, Grove Financial, Inc.
- Rabbi Yehuda Sarna, New York University
- Rabbi Julie Schonfeld, the Rabbinical Assembly
- Imam Talib Shareef, The Nation's Mosque, Masjid Muhammad
- Dr. Sayyid Syeed, Islamic Society of North America
- Rabbi David Wolpe, Sinai Temple, Los Angeles
- AJC and ISNA Launch Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council, Accessed Nov 23 2016
- Good News! AJC and ISNA Launch Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council, Accessed Nov 23 2016
- AJC CALLS ON PRESIDENT-ELECT TRUMP TO ABOLISH ‘MUSLIM REGISTRY’ IDEA, Accessed Nov 23 2016
- Trump's supposed 'Muslim Registry' is just more fake news, Accessed Nov 23 2016
- New Muslim-Jewish Advisory Council Gears Up To Work With Trump Administration, Accessed Nov 23 2016