Metro Detroit DSA ran a slate of members in Ferndale, a town of 19,900 just north of Detroit. Mayoral candidate Brian Stawowy and city council candidate Nada Daher came up short. But in nearby Westland, chapter member Mike McDermott won one of four city council seats.
At the Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America July 2019 meeting members and voted to endorse five candidates running in city council races: Brian Stawowy, Nada Daher and Kat Brunner James, vying for seats in Ferndale, Sara Habbo in Southfield, and Mike McDermott in Westland.
- The fifth candidate was Mike McDermott, who was not in attendance but addressed our group at the June meeting. Detroit DSA endorsed McDermott in 2018 when he ran for State Rep in Westland, which is in Rashida Tlaib’s District. We voted unanimously to endorse him again.
Greater Detroit Democratic Socialists of America, May 24 at 2:59pm.
- We are excited to endorse Mike McDermott For State Representative He is a DSA member! Learn more about his campaign here: https://www.mcdermottformichigan.com/
From Metro Detroit Democratic Socialists of America newsletter July 2018.
Electoral Committee Updates
- The next meeting of the Electoral Committee will be TOMORROW, July 16 at 7.00 pm, to discuss how the primary activity is going and start organizing for the general election. ALL MEMBERS WELCOME, email Gillian at email@example.com for meeting location info.
- For the first time ever we have endorsed FOUR candidates running in Democratic primaries who are Chapter members! They are:
- Rashida Tlaib, running for Congress, 13th District
- Mike McDermott, running for State Rep, District 16
- Michele Oberholtzer, running for State Rep, District 4
- Joel Batterman, running for Wayne County Commission, District 2
- In addition, we have jointly endorsed Andy Levin and Ellen Cogen Lipton in the 9th Congressional District, finding both equally deserving of support. Members are encouraged to support either candidate and the Chapter will support whichever of the two candidates wins the primary election.
- There is less than a month until the primary on Tuesday, August 8 and much work to do to help our DSA candidates succeed.
According to Dick Olson the "2018 midterm elections were incredibly momentous for DSA nationally, as well as here in the Detroit area. We scored critical wins from coast to coast — getting leftists elected to office and pushing through key ballot measures".
DSA-endorsed Andy Levin, a close ally of the Michigan labor movement, easily won his race in the 9th Congressional district. DSA member Beau Perry won a write-in campaign for Ferndale Library Board. Three other Detroit DSA members who received our Chapter’s endorsement also ran for office but fell short: Michele Oberholtzer and Mike McDermott for state rep, and Joel Batterman for Wayne County commissioner. Detroit DSA members also knocked on hundreds of doors for Padma Kuppa, Democrat for the 41st Michigan house seat in the Troy. With DSA’s help, Kuppa flipped a Republican seat 22,317 to 21,170.