Michelle Lujan Grisham
- 1 Support from Onward Together
- 2 Politics
- 3 "Antiwar and people’s agenda"
- 4 PODER PAC
- 5 Congressional Hispanic Caucus
- 6 "Progressive" fundraiser
- 7 PDA contacts
- 8 PDA meeting
- 9 Fred Ross award campaign
- 10 Opposed ballot measure
- 11 NMARA
- 12 PowerPAC+ supported Elected and Appointed Leadership
- 13 PODER PAC Honorary Co-chairs
- 14 Greeting Dolores Huerta
- 15 "No war in Syria"
- 16 Trip to Cuba
- 17 Letter on US-Mexico security Co-operation
- 18 OLÉ NewMexico endorsement
- 19 Ole connection
- 20 Socialist Field Organizer
- 21 External links
- 22 References
Support from Onward Together
A former small business owner, Bernalillo County Commissioner, Secretary of Health, and Secretary of Aging & Long-Term Services, Rep. Lujan Grisham now services on the three committees in the U.S. House of Representatives: Budget Committee, Agriculture Committee, and Oversight & Government Reform. She was also selected by her colleagues to serve as 1st Vice Chair of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
"Antiwar and people’s agenda"
- New Mexico is offering new opportunities to trounce the Republican right next year.
- Then, on Oct. 4, Republican Sen. Pete Domenici declared he would not seek another term, citing health reasons.
- Suddenly all political estimates have changed here. With Domenici’s announcement, labor and progressives are looking at three possible congressional seats open for a serious contest to defeat the Bush agenda.
- GOP Rep. Heather Wilson, long perceived as Domenici’s political heir apparent, announced her candidacy for his seat and said she would not run for re-election to the House. This gives the Democrats an open shot not only for the Senate seat but also Wilson’s 1st Congressional District slot.
- So far Democratic leaders have been slow on the uptake. Martin Heinrich, former Albuquerque City Councilor and active participant in the local labor-community fight for a livable wage, has announced his candidacy for Wilson’s House seat....Also running is Michelle Lujan Grisham, former state health secretary and protégé of Gov. Bill Richardson. A political newcomer, she has also projected an antiwar and people’s agenda.
- With close to one-third of New Mexico voters registered as independents, for the Democrats to win all three open congressional seats, they must come out fighting hard on domestic issues as well as ending the war. If the Albuquerque-Santa Fe community-labor coalition takes an independent stand on issues and candidates, it could become a big factor in the primaries and the 2008 elections.
Congressional Hispanic Caucus
In 2013 Michelle Lujan Grisham was Whip of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
Jonathan Wong joined the Forward Together family in August 2013 as the New Mexico Organizer and Program Assistant for Strong Families New Mexico. Born and raised in Southern California, Jon graduated with a BA in Political Science from the University of California, Irvine. Wanting to spread his wings in political advocacy, he spent a couple years in Washington, DC where he worked with an environmental justice organization and developed his knack for database management at a progressive fundraising firm. In 2012 he moved to the Land of Enchantment and fell in love with the state of New Mexico as a fundraiser and field organizer for Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham's campaign.
In 2013 Progressive Democrats of America assigned activists to deliver their material to almost every US Congressman and several Senators. Paul Stokes, was assigned as contact for Rep. Lujan Grisham.
On August 25th, 2014, 8 members of Progressive Democrats of America CNM (Paul Stokes, Bob Greenberg, Ted Cloak, Jr., Katherine O’Malley, Susan Selbin, Caroline Monie, George Franzen, Lisa Franzen) met with CD 1 Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham and Gilbert Gallegos, her Deputy District Director.
The following issues of concern to PDA members were presented and discussed:
- The August Letter Drop requested support for H.R. 292, the New Columbia Admission Act and H.J.Res. 44, proposing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution carried by Rep. Mark Pocan. Rep. Lujan Grisham stated that she often works closely with Rep. Pocan and will follow up with his office on this issue upon returning to D.C. PDA thankedd our Congresswoman for supporting H.J. Res. 113, removing the deadline for ratification of the ERA, and H.J. Res 119, proposing an amendment to the U.S. Constitution relating to campaign contributions and expenditures. We also delivered information about the Gaza Initiative from the PDA End War & Occupation IOT.
- Bob Greenberg spoke of PDA support of Single Payer Health Care and suggested that the Congresswoman’s staff attend a speaking engagement presented by Physicians for a National Health Plan on 9/18/14.
- Mandy Pino accompanied PDA members and delivered information regarding HR 3118, supporting raising the SS Cap.
- Paul Stokes spoke to PDA positions that support and strengthen many voting rights issues.
- Ted Cloak, Jr. spoke in support of environmental issues, particularly H.R. 4754, the Managed Carbon Price Act of 2014, sponsored by Jim McDermott (WA 07). Issues previously and currently supported by PDA including H.R. 1579, the Robin Hood Tax, H.R. 1000, the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment and Training Act and the strong PDA position to defeat the Transpacific Partnership (TPP) Fast Track were delivered for continued response.
- Kathleen O’Malley spoke to concerns of the border immigration situation to include actions in Artesia.
- Paul Stokes and Kathleen O’Malley brought up the ongoing issues of the very unbalanced response of U.S. policy to the Israel/Gaza situation. Discussion time was very short and a further meeting is being evaluated.
- Bob Greenberg spoke to the vote by Congress to support additional national funding for charter schools, to concerns regarding how some charter schools are operating, nationally and in New Mexico, and to the issue of how additional funding of charter schools impacts public schools. The Congresswoman has suggested that PDA CNM meet with her field rep S. Kean to talk more about charter schools and this is being considered.
Fred Ross award campaign
In early 2013, mainly Democratic Socialists of America aligned activists, together with many elected officials across the United States came together to urge President Barack Obama to award posthumously the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the legendary organizer, Fred Ross, Sr.. The Saul Alinsky trained radical was the first to organize people through house meetings, a mentor to both Cesar Chavez and DSAer Dolores Huerta, and a pioneer in Latino voter outreach since 1949 when he helped elect Communist Party USA affiliate Ed Roybal as Los Angeles’s first Latino council member, "Ross’ influence on social change movements remains strong two decades after his death in 1992".
Congressional endorsers of the proposal included Michelle Lujan Grisham.
Opposed ballot measure
November 2013. prominent women leaders joined the Respect ABQ Women campaign to speak out against the Nov 19 ballot measure. After, they joined together to walk to the office of the city clerk to cast some of the first votes towards defeating the ballot measure. Join them in voting AGAINST this ballot measure.
NMARA endorsement, 2012
Oct. 12, 2012 , at an event in Albuquerque, the Alliance for Retired Americans announced their endorsement of Martin Heinrich for U.S. Senate and Michelle Lujan Grisham for U.S. House. ARA represents more than 4 million members nationwide, including more than 14,000 members in New Mexico. 
Congresswoman Grisham speaks on the theme of Retirees Built the American Dream, at NMARA's 2013 triennial state convention. 
Rally Against Medicare Cuts
April 22, 2014 · This note from our friends at NMARA about proposed cuts to Medicaid in the conservative budget before Congress:
- Once again, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed a budget that would turn Medicare into “coupon-care.” Congresswoman Lujan Grisham, the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, organization partners and local residents who depend upon Medicare will speak out about the effect these cuts would have on them and on communities in New Mexico.
- Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham
- LaDonna Harris, Member, NCPSSM Board of Directors and President, Americans for Indian Opportunity
- Carter Bundy, AFSCME Political Director
- Don Manning, ARA Senior Representative
- Mandy Pino, Gray Panthers
- Rose Shaw, Albuquerque
WHEN: Thursday, April 24th at 11:30 A.M.
WHERE: AFSCME Hall Council 18, 1202 Pennsylvania St. NE Albuquerque.
ARA PAF endorsement, 2014
PowerPAC+ supported Elected and Appointed Leadership
The list of PowerPAC+ leaders is growing.
- Here are the social justice champions we have helped elect.
- Stacey Abrams - Georgia State Assembly
- Pete Aguilar - U.S. Congress, California-31
- Hector Balderas - Attorney General, New Mexico
- Cory Booker - U.S. Senate, New Jersey
- Wendy Davis - Texas State Senate
- Jim Frazier - California State Assembly
- Pete Gallego - U.S. Congress, Texas-23
- Michelle Lujan Grisham - U.S. Congress, New Mexico-1
- Kamala Harris - Attorney General, California
- Mazie Hirono - U.S. Senate, Hawaii
- Mary Gonzalez - Texas State Legislature
- Mary Ann Perez - Texas State Legislature
- Mark Takano - U.S. Congress, California-41
- Michael Tubbs - Stockton City Council, California
- Marc Veasey - U.S. Congress, Texas-33
- Norman Yee - San Francisco Supervisor, California
PODER PAC Honorary Co-chairs
Honorary PODER PAC co-chairs 2015, Rosario Dawson, America Fererra, Dolores Huerta, Eva Longoria Parker, Michelle Lujan Grisham, Grace Napolitano, Ana Ortiz, Rosie Perez, Lucille Roybal-Allard, Loretta Sanchez, Linda Sanchez, Nydia Velazquez.
Greeting Dolores Huerta
Gary King for New Mexico and Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham, welcomed "Civil Rights Hero" Dolores Huerta, to a Mexican Barbeque Saturday, October 25th, 2014 Tajique Community Center Tajique, NM.
"No war in Syria"
Albuquerque activists gathered on Central Avenue Saturday August 31 2014 to demonstrate their outrage at the Obama administration plan for military intervention in the Syrian civil war.
The action drew nearly 100 activists who held signs, chanted and spoke out on the busy street with much supportive horn honking from the passing cars. Speakers included Ellen Robinson, Raging Grannies, Preston Wood, ANSWER Coalition, Sayrah Namaste, (Un)occupy Albuquerque, Lizzie Perkel, Students for Justice in Palestine, Charles Powell, Albuquerque Chapter President, Veterans for Peace, Bob Anderson, Stop the War Machine, ANSWER Coalition organizer Joel Gallegos.
Building on Saturday’s gathering, an ad hoc coalition including (Un)occupy Albuquerque, Veterans for Peace, the Peace and Justice Center, the ANSWER Coalition, Stop $30 Billion to Israel and Students for Justice in Palestine filled the week with follow-up actions, including confronting an aide to Senator Martin Heinrich at a union gathering on Labor Day and meeting with Senator Tom Udall’s staff on Wednesday. A delegation als met with Senator Heinrich’s staff and with the staff of Representative Michelle Lujan Grisham.
Trip to Cuba
According to a December 17, 2014 Press Release – Rep. Michelle Lujan Grisham (NM-01) released the following statement in response to President Obama’s announcement about the relationship between the United States and Cuba.
- “I am optimistic about the shift toward restoring diplomatic relations with Cuba and moving away from a policy that has failed on so many levels. During my visit to Cuba, I was struck by how the embargo, coupled with a dysfunctional economy, has hurt so many average Cubans. A more robust relationship will ultimately help people in both countries, and open the door to democracy in Cuba.
Letter on US-Mexico security Co-operation
- Urgent alert from our friends at CISPES- Los Angeles Chapter : "The US plans to expand cooperation between Mexico and the United States to unfairly and inhumanely target Central American migrants and asylum seekers at the upcoming "Conference on Prosperity and Security in Central America".
- We asked Representative Alan Lowenthal of Long Beach to author a letter to Secretary Tillerson calling for to put the human rights of Central Americans and all migrants and refugees front and center, and he's circulating a letter now. To have the biggest impact possible we need as many Members of Congress as possible to sign this letter!
- Call or email your representative today and ask them to join Mr. Lowenthal as a co-signer.
Representative Alan Lowenthal (D-CA) led 37 Members of Congress, including top Democrats from the Armed Forces, Judiciary and Appropriations committees, in sending a letter to Secretary of State Rex Tillerson to raise red flags about “suggestions that the United States deepen security collaboration with Mexico along its southern border [with Guatemala] due to evidence that Mexico’s Southern Border Program has led to wide-spread human rights violations and abuses against migrants and asylum-seekers.”
Signers: Don Beyer (D-VA), Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR), Mike Capuano (D-MA), Tony Cardenas (D-CA), Judy Chu (D-CA), Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO), John Conyers (D-MI), Lloyd Doggett (D-TX), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Dwight Evans (D-PA), Ruben Gallego (D-AZ), Raul Grijalva (D-AZ), Luis Gutierrez (D-IL), Alcee Hastings (D-FL), Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-Washington, DC), Pramila Jayapal (D-WA), Hank Johnson (D-GA), Marcy Kaptur (D-OH), Barbara Lee (D-CA) , Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Michelle Lujan Grisham (D-NM), Stephen Lynch (D-MA), Betty McCollum (D-MN), James McGovern (D-MA), Seth Moulton (D-MA), Mark Pocan (D-WI), Grace Napolitano (D-CA), Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-CA), Jose Serrano (D-NY), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Louise Slaughter (D-NY), Adam Smith (D-WA), Paul Tonko (D-NY), Maxine Waters (D-CA), John Yarmuth (D-KY).
OLÉ NewMexico endorsement
OLE NewMexico May 2 2018:
Endorsements for Governor, Lt. Governor, Congressional District 1, and State Auditor.
OLE NewMexico October 10 2018:
Gubernatorial candidate Michelle Lujan Grisham visited OLÉ this week and listened to the stories of our members - parents who want quality early education for all children, workers who are organizing against low wages and wage theft, Dreamers who are fighting for DACA, permanent residents who are becoming US citizens and people working to create an inclusive democracy that works for all of us.
In a packed house, Michelle listened, joked, and gave thoughtful responses to our members. Best of all, she reaffirmed that as governor, Michelle Lujan Grisham will stand with everyday New Mexicans to create the change our state desperately needs.
Thank you, Congressman Michelle Lujan Grisham!
OLÉ has a goal to knock on 10,000 doors by next Tuesday - and we know we can do it with your help!
Socialist Field Organizer
Luis Guerrero was Field Organizer in Dona Ana and Otero Counties for Senator Martin Heinrich’s re-election campaign, Michelle Lujan Grisham for Governor and Xochitl Torres Small for Congress (New Mexico 2nd Congressional District).
Coordinate volunteer recruitment, training, shift scheduling for volunteers and followed up. Met weekly goals and metrics to ensure success in this campaign.
Build and represent campaign at events, fundraisers, meet and greets, and other campaign related events. Often had to assist with set up, introductions, advancing, etc.
Effectively work with campaigns and coordinators from various Democratic races up and down the ticket.
- National Journal "The New Faces of the 113th Congress," November 15, 2012
- Onward Together website: PAC (accessed on June 12 2019)
- Official bio, accessed August 2015
- [http://peoplesworld.org/new-opportunities-to-defeat-far-right-in-new-mexico/PW, New opportunities to defeat far-right in New Mexico by: Emil Shaw October 19 2007]
- PODER PAC,
- Forward Together staff
- PDA May 2013 Educate Congress Digest Letter drops (191 in total – 105 in April )
- PDA January 2014 Educate Congress Digest)
- PDA Meeting with Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham Posted on September 18, 2014
- Momentum Builds for Honoring Legendary Organizer Fred Ross, by Randy Shaw, 2013-03-05
- FB Women Leaders Speak Up & Vote Against the Nov 19 ballot measure
- ARA Flickr, ARA President Easterling stops by NM ARA Endorsement Event
- ARA President Easternling with NM ARA President Pablo Trujillo
- http://votesmart.org/public-statement/751509/martin-heinrich-recognized-as-champion-for-new-mexico-seniors#.VcYPnvmqpBcMartin Heinrich Recognized as Champion for New Mexico Seniors Press Release By: Martin Heinrich Date: Oct. 12, 2012]
- type=1&theater NMARA Facebook,October 19, 2013
- PowerPAC+Elected and Appointed Leadership, accessed Dec. 1 ,2014
- [http://www.poderpac.com/honorary-co-chairs.html PODER PAC HONORARY CO-CHAIRS[
- Lujan Grisham Releases Statement on Restoration of US-Cuban RelationsDec 17, 2014 Press Release
- CISPES June 15, 2017 Trump Administration's Agenda at Conference in Miami Provokes Controversy and Opposition