North Americans in Support of Angola
The Angola Support Conference came into existence to organize a conference to support the MPLA held in Chicago, May 28-30, 1976. The Conference supported the MPLA and opposed U.S. and South African intervention in Angola. The sponsors were organizations supporting the MPLA from around the country. After the Chicago conference, the organization continued its activities with Prexy Nesbitt serving as national coordinator. Sponsors were;
- Barbara Barnes, MPLA Solidarity Committee
- Marjorie M. Boehm, Women's International League for Peace and Freedom
- James E. Bristol, American Friends Service Committee
- Robert S. Browne, Black Economic Research Center
- Robert Chrisman; Black Scholar
- Johnnetta B. Cole; National Committee of the Venceremos Brigade
- Henry Foner, Amalgamated Meatcutters and Butcherworkmen of North America;
- Larry Holmes; Youth Against War and Fascism
- George M. Houser, American Committee on Africa
- A. Lee Johnson, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
- Brenda J. Jones, Freedomways Magazine
- Edgar Lockwood, Washington Office on Africa;
- Willis Logan, Africa Office, National Council of Churches
- Anthony Monteiro, National Anti-Imperialist Movement in Solidarity with African Liberation
- Patricia Murray, National Council of Black Lawyers
- Prexy Nesbitt, US Out of Angola Committee and Chicago Committee for the Liberation of Angola, Mozambique and Guinea
- Moses Newsom, Afro-American Newspapers
- Lance Pustin, Prairie Fire Organizing Committee
- Anthony H. Rodrigues, CSAS-General Brotherhood of Workers
- Michael Simmons, Third World Coalition/Southwest Workers Federation
- Jose E. Velazquez, Partide Socialista Pertorriquena
- Joe Walker, Bilalian News. .
One of the many workshops at the Manifestivity was;
"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Michael Simmons signed the statement.
- Letter to all persons who attended the Angola Support Conference, July 8, 1976
- http://africanactivist.msu.edu/organization.php?name=Angola+Support+Conference Angola Support Conference Wisconsin State Historical Society]
- Liberal Education website: List of Ayers Supporters