Margaret Fung ...
New Party builder
New Party News Fall 1994 listed over 100 New Party activists-"some of the community leaders, organizers, retirees,, scholars, artists, parents, students, doctors, writers and other activists who are building the NP" the list included Margaret Fung, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
Pro Democracy Convention
The Pro Democracy Convention was held June 29th To July 1, 2001. It started with a National Town Hall Meeting, Annenberg Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Come to a National Town Hall Meeting! Hear speakers representing a wide range of communities, including academics, labor leaders,
lawyers, organizers, and elected officials, speak out about Election 2000, recommendations for electoral reform, and how we all can build the movement to expand democracy in the U.S. Partial List of Invited Speakers and Presenters:
- John B. Anderson, Center for Voting & Democracy
- Melanie Campbell, National Coalition for Black Civic Participation
- Linda Chavez-Thompson, AFL-CIO
- Representative John Conyers (Michigan)
- Ron Daniels, Center for Constitutional Rights
- Representative Chaka Fattah (Pennsylvania)
- Margaret Fung, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund
- Ted Glick, Independent Progressive Politics Network
- Lani Guinier, Harvard University
- Cheri Honkala, Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Reverend Jesse Jackson, Rainbow-PUSH Coalition
- Representative Sheila Jackson Lee, Texas
- Representative James Leach (Iowa)
- William Lucy, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists
- Henry Nicholas, National Union of Hospital and Health Care Employees - District 1199C
- Reverend Al Sharpton, National Action Network
- Hillary Shelton, NAACP
- Nadine Smith, Equality Florida
- Representative Nydia Velazquez (New York)
Rally for DACA
New York City: October 5, 2017, the Asian American Federation held a rally at Trump Tower with our member agencies and leading immigrant advocacy groups to speak out in support of Asian American Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients, who are being impacted by the dissolution of the DACA program under the Trump administration. Twenty-three organizations and nearly 200 New Yorkers, including Congresswoman Jo-Ann Yoo, executive director of the Asian American Federation, Grace Meng, Council Member Margaret Chin, Assemblymember Yuh-line Niou, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, and Comptroller Scott Stringer, Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Rep. Nydia Velazquez, Mayor Bill de Blasio Assemblymember Deborah Glick, Assemblyman Ron Kim, Assemblywoman Nily Rozic, Public Advocate Letitia James, Council Member Daniel Dromm, Council Member Rory Lancman, Steven Choi, executive director of the New York Immigration Coalition, Margaret Fung, executive director of the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Christopher Kui, executive director of Asian Americans for Equality, Annetta Seecharran, executive director of Chhaya Community Development Corporation, Mae Lee, executive director of the Chinese Progressive Association (New York), Wayne Ho, executive director of the Chinese-American Planning Council, Kavita Mehra, executive director of Sakhi for South Asian Women, Robina Niaz, executive director of Turning Point for Women and Families, joined hands with the Federation to defend the future of our DREAMers.
Rally Co-Sponsors: Adhikaar, Alliance of South Asian American Labor, Arab American Association of New York, Asian American Arts Alliance, Asian American Bar Association of New York, Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund, Asian Americans for Equality, Chhaya Community Development Corporation, Chinese-American Planning Council, Chinese Progressive Association (New York), Council of People’s Organization, Desis Rising Up and Moving, Japanese American Association of New York, Japanese American Social Services, Inc., Korean American Family Service Center, Korean Community Services of Metropolitan New York, MinKwon Center for Community Action, National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance, New York Immigration Coalition, OCA-NY, Sakhi for South Asian Women, Turning Point for Women and Families, University Settlement.
- [http://groups.yahoo.com/group/internetdemocrats1/message/4715, internetdemocrats1 · Internet Democrats1, National Town Hall Meeting Posted By: impeach_bush@...Mon Jun 4, 2001]
- [http://aafederation.org/press/pressrelease.asp?prid=366&y=2017Asian American Federation, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 10/6/2017 CONTACT: Jo-Ann Yoo, Asian Americans Rally in Support of DACA and TPS]