Office Assistant at Far West Optical.
Labor Notes training
Conrad Lino November 20, 2017 ·
Some good-lookin’ Troublemakers at the Dallas Labor Notes Training! — with Mayra Lucio, Travis Cantwell, Liliana Mendoza, Hannah Alexander, Chase Randolph Buie, Ryan Haney, Angi DeFelippo, Chris Goode and Chandler Grace.
Austin DSA national conference delegate
Texas DSA members Join the Fight to Stop a New Anti-immigrant Law
By June 2017, Austin Democratic Socialists of America had built a large membership of over 640 members by being active as allies against a number of attacks on communities of color, women and LGBTQ people over the last two years.
- This work has intensified since Trump took office. Perhaps their most important campaign, which other groups can learn from, is their current fight against an anti-immigrant bill.
On May 29th, national media coverage showed footage of hundreds of people in Austin, Texas chanting and protesting in the Capitol against a new anti-illegal immigrant law known as SB4, for “Senate Bill 4.”
- SB4 is a highly controversial bill that mandates local police and sheriffs to essentially become an arm of the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Under the bill, local peace officers would be given broad authority to ask the immigration status of anyone stopped by an officer for almost any reason. Thus, the moniker: “Show Me Your Papers Law.” SB4 began as a priority of Lt. Governor Dan Patrick and Governor Greg Abbott.
- The authors of the bill in the Senate specifically targeted Austin Sheriff Sally Hernandez, who ran on a campaign of constitutional rights of undocumented residents and non-cooperation beyond the legal requirements with ICE. The only female in a field of six, she won handily in the Democratic primary, and five months later in the general election against a Republican. Sheriff Hernandez said in a hearing on the bill in April that SB4 will "coerce local law enforcement to divert scarce resources to enforcing federal immigration laws, at a risk to public safety.”
- During hearings in the Senate and the House, hundreds of people, many of them immigrants or family of immigrants, both documented and not, testified and signed in opposition to the bill. Sheriffs and chiefs of police testified that the bill would undermine the trust between the police and the immigrant and Latino communities, leaving their cities and towns less safe. Mayors, lawyers, school administrators and school board members spoke out against the mass deportation provisions of the bill and its potentially devastating impact on families, children, businesses and the Texas economy.
Despite these large protests, the House and the Senate passed the bill. Advocates were outraged that the bill was made far more egregious in the final evening of late-night amendments to the bill in the House, where Tea Party reactionaries one-upped each other.
Liliana Pierce Mendoza, who is a DSA member, an elected member of the Central Texas Our Revolution and a staff organizer for JOLT, a Latinx empowerment organization, talked about the emerging battle: “There will be many opportunities to fight SB4 throughout the Summer of Resistance. We need to educate, mobilize and act in every way possible leading up to the Sept. 1 implementation.”
Austin Democratic Socialists of America members who endorsed Danny Fetonte when he ran for DSA NPC in 2017 included Liz Garcia, Chau Ngo, Jim Tourtelott, Bobbie Tsukahara, Nikki Reese, Julie Ann Nitsch, Taylor Jones, Seth Hutchinson, Jacob Aronowitz, James Cole, Gil Starkey, Barbara Fetonte, Mickey Fetonte, Bob Gibbons, Ron Nelson, Ahmed Abdel-Meguid, Yolanda Delgado, Priscilla Echegaray, Sophia Donnelly, Roy Woody, Susanna Woody, Liliana Mendoza, Chris Wang, Colin Gray, Omar Kadir, Molly Middleton, Derek Brozowski, Guilherme Nettesheim, Steve Voytowich, Chance Walker, Mike Gross, Rachel Castignoli, Bob Gibbons, Cynthia Mancha – Austin.
Texas DSA at the convention
Left Up To US Closed Facebook group
- Texas Showdown - SB 4 Posted by Dsa 🌹 on 06.26.17
- [https://www.facebook.com/notes/austin-dsa/support-danny-fetonte-for-npc/1917815435143506/Support Danny Fetonte for NPC AUSTIN DSA·SUNDAY, JULY 23, 2017]