Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr.
Detroit City Council
At an October 2009 "meet the candidates" forum current Council President Ken Cockrel Jr. said "privatization should be the last resort instead of the first resort."
Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center
In 2007, Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr. was a member of the Honorary Host Committee for the Essential: Advocacy for Workplace Justice Reception & Silent Auction. The reception, which was held on Nov. 14, 2007 is the annual fundraising event to benefit the far left National Lawyers Guild-affiliated Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center for Economic & Social Justice. The guest of honor at the reception was Andy Levin, son of Congressman Sander Levin, and Deputy Director at the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth.
In 2009, Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr. was a member of the Host Committee for the Essential: Advocacy for Community Justice Reception & Silent Auction which was held at the Atlas Global Bistro, Detroit. The reception, which was held on Nov. 18, 2009 is the annual fundraising event to benefit the far left National Lawyers Guild-affiliated Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center for Economic & Social Justice. Remarks were made by Steve Tobocman and the Maurice Sugar Voice for Justice Award was presented to Marilyn Mullane, Executive Director, Michigan Legal Services.
Van Jones award host committee
On November 18, 2010, the far left Maurice & Jane Sugar Law Center for Economic & Social Justice presented "The Maurice Sugar Voice for Justice Award" to Van Jones "Human Rights Activist and Green-Jobs Advocate", at the United Way for Southeastern Michigan, 660 Woodward Ave, Suite 300.
Members of the Honorary Host Committee were;
- Jeffrey Breslin, RN, President, Michigan Nurses Association
- Hon. Hansen Clarke, Michigan Senate
- Hon. Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr., Detroit City Council
- Diana Copeland, Executive Director, East Michigan Environmental Action Council
- David Elsila, Retired Editor, UAW Solidarity Magazine
- Leslie Fields, National Director of Environmental Justice, Sierra Club
- Michael Garfield, Director, The Ecology Center
- Ponsella Hardaway, Executive Director, MOSES
- W. Kim Heron, Editor, Metro Times
- Charity Hicks, Detroit Black Community Food Security Network
- Hon. Brenda Jones, Detroit City Council
- Bob King, President, UAW International
- Chris Kolb, President, Michigan Environmental Council
- Andy Levin, Acting Director, Michigan Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth
- Hon. Claudia Morcom, Retired Wayne County Circuit Court Judge
- Kary Moss, Executive Director, ACLU of Michigan
- Hasan Newash, Palestine Office of Michigan
- Fred Redmond, International Vice President, United Steelworkers
- Hon. JoAnn Watson, Detroit City Council
- Ed Wendel, General Counsel, United Food & Commercial Workers
- Saundra Williams, President, Metro Detroit AFL-CIO
- Diann Woodard, President, American Federation of School Administrators
As at Feb. 1, 2011, President of the Detroit City Council Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr. was listed as an endorser and ongoing supporter of MichUHCAN's Health Care Security Campaign Coalition. The Michigan Universal Health Care Access Network is a state-wide network that promotes comprehensive health care for all and improved health outcomes by addressing the social determinants of health through education, strategy development and advocacy. The leadership of MichUHCAN is heavily dominated by members of Democratic Socialists of America.
- Detroit Public Library, Detroit City Council 1919 to present
- Peoples World, Detroiters turn out to question candidates, by: John Rummel October 11 2009
- Sugar Law website: Essential: Advocacy for Workplace Justice 2007 Event flyer (accessed on Feb. 11, 2011)
- Sugar Law Center website: 2009 Essential: Advocacy for Community Justice Reception & Silent Auction (accessed on Feb. 11, 2011)
- Sugar Law Center for Economic k Social Justice website, accessed Jan 25, 2011
- MichUHCAN: MI Health Care Security Campaign Coalition (accessed on Feb. 1, 2011)
- MichUHCAN: About Us (accessed on Feb. 1, 2011)