Keely Mullen is a "national organizer" for the Socialist Alternative who gained national notoriety after an exchange with Neil Cavuto of Fox Business for her support of free college tuition. She co-organized the Million Student March with Elan Axelbank. Her father is a supporter of the Million Student March.
Keely Mullen worked as a national organizer for Socialist Alternative, which "helped kick off massive marches in New York City, Seattle, Philadelphia, Oakland, California, and Ann Arbor, Michigan."
She was quoted as saying:
- "The idea is that this creates the basis for something we can return to as needed, as attacks start to come down, not just on the defense, but the offensive," Mullen said. "We still need $15 an hour, we still need affordable housing — these organizations aren't just struggling against Trump, but also for concrete demands."
- In other words, the goal of the organizers isn't just to demonstrate displeasure. It's to prepare for the possible calamities Trump's administration could inflict.
- "We want to prepare the ground for the strongest possible resistance for day one," Mullen said. "This is a powerful way to build something that can actually challenge him for however many years he's in office. This isn't a one and done deal."
- "What's most crucial is that we make the strongest possible statement that we're not willing to give Trump a chance, or any head start in putting together attacks on working class people, people of color or immigrants."
Million Student March
Keely Mullen was an organizer for the Million Student March, along with Darletta Scruggs and Elan Axelbank, all of whom are members of the Socialist Alternative. She spoke with Neil Cavuto of Fox Business Channel about the Million Student March in November 2015.
- "The fight for free education is a fight against the corporate model of education which both the Republicans and the Democrats have supported. It is, therefore, also pointing in the direction of the need for a new independent political force for the 99%. Young people are increasingly rejecting neoliberal capitalism and open to socialist answers. The only way we will truly achieve high-quality, free education for all is by getting rid of this rotten capitalist system."
- Keely Mullen: Million Student March spokeswoman is in the 'one percent', accessed January 12 2017
- College students plan nationwide walkouts to protest Donald Trump's inauguration, accessed January 12 2017
- #MillionStudentMarch: Marxist 1%’er Keely Mullen lied to Neil Cavuto, accessed January 12 2017
- CAMPAIGN FOR FREE EDUCATION GROWS, accessed January 12 2017