On March 12, Consul General and Mrs. Gao Zhansheng held a farewell reception in their residence. San Francisco Mayor Edwin Lee, Assessor-Recorder Carmen Chu, Supervisor Eric Ma and Katy Tang, Mayor of Piedmont John Chiang, Mayor of Daly City Raymond Buenaventura, Mayor of Alameda Marie Gilmore, Councilmember Lena Tam, Councilmember of San Jose Kansen Chu, former Speaker pro Tempore of California State Assembly Fiona Ma, Office Director of U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein Russell Lowe, director of U.S. Department of State Office of Foreign Missions in San Francisco Patricia Hayes, representatives of foreign missions as well as Bay area friends from all works of life which amounted to over 300 people were present.
Consul General Gao delivered a touching farewell speech, in which he recalled quite a few historical moments in China and China-U.S. relations during his post in San Francisco, such as the 2008 Olympic Torch Relay, the 30th anniversary of San Francisco-Shanghai sister cityhood, the devastating earthquake in Sichuan and the 40th anniversary of Ping Pong Diplomacy and President Nixon's visit to China. Gao said, "Over the past five years there has been an unprecedented expansion of interactions across the board between China and my consular district." What among he referred to were the visits of Chairman of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress Wu Bangguo, Vice Premier Wang Qishan, State Councilor Liu Yandong, state Councilor & Defense Minister Liang Guanglie and Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi.
In his remarks to Consul General Gao, Mayor Lee recalled when they got acquainted with each other and became friends and all the "historical and funny moments" they spent together. "China has changed a lot during the past five years, for the good. I look forward to more opportunities for he cooperation between San Francisco and China when I go to Beijing next month." Mayor Lee also announced that March 12 would be "Ambassador Gao Zhansheng Day of San Francisco".
Later on, Carmen Chu, Katy Tang, Marie Gilmore, Kansen Chu, Fiona Ma, Russell Lowe awarded proclamations in recognition of Consul General Gao's contributions to the friendly cooperation between China and Bay area cities.
Phillip Burton Awards Committee
In 2013, the Honorary Phillip Burton Awards Committee, of the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, consisted of;
- Jeff Adachi, San Francisco Public Defender
- The Honorable David Campos, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable David Chiu, President of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- Carmen Chu, San Francisco Assessor-Recorder
- The Honorable Malia Cohen, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Anna Eshoo, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Mark Farrell, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Dianne Feinstein, US Senator for California
- The Honorable Barbara Lee, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Zoe Lofgren, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Eric Mar, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable George Miller, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Nancy Pelosi, Democratic Leader of the US House of Representatives
- The Honorable Jackie Speier, US Representative for California
- The Honorable Katy Tang, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Scott Wiener, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- The Honorable Norman Yee, San Francisco Board of Supervisors
- [http://www.chinaconsulatesf.org/eng/tpxw/t1021531.htmEducation Home > Pictures in the News Consul General Gao Zhansheng Hosts Farewell Reception 2013/03/15]
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center, 23rd Phillip Burton Immigration & Civil Rights Awards