Supported Progressive Health Care Reform
In late 2009, Karen Keiser was one of more than 1,000 state legislators to sign a letter entitled "State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform". The letter was a project of the Progressive States Network and was developed in consultation with national health care reform advocates, including the AFL-CIO, AFSCME, Community Catalyst, Families USA, Herndon Alliance, National Women's Law Center, Northeast Action, SEIU, and Universal Health Care Action Network. The letter reads in part,
- "Failure to pass national comprehensive health reform now will further jeopardize state and local budgets, undermining public services like education, public safety, and transportation infrastructure... We, the undersigned, call on President Obama and the Congress to enact bold and comprehensive health care reform this year – based on these principles and a strong federal-state collaboration – and pledge our support as state legislators and allies in pursuit of guaranteed, high quality, affordable health care for all."
"Health Care in Cuba"
Health Care in Cuba: What We Can Learn A fact-finding mission by a delegation from Washington state, September 5-9, 2016.
Lt. Governor Brad Owen and an 18-member delegation traveled to Cuba in September on an educational mission to explore the nation’s highly advanced universal health care system. Activities focused in the area of health care delivery, medical education and preventive care. The delegation met with officials from the Cuban Ministry of Public Health, the Vedado Polyclinic, BioCubaFarma, the Cuban Neuroscience Center, the Cuban Foreign Ministry and the Latin American School of Medicine (ELAM).
- Lt. Governor Brad Owen (mission leader)
- Sen. Karen Keiser, Washington State Senate
- Sen. Steve Conway, Washington State Senate
- Sen. John McCoy, Washington State Senate
- Chancellor Lisa Brown, Washington State University-Spokane (Health Sciences)
- Dan Dixon, Providence Health & Services, Chairman of the Board Global to Local
- Adam Taylor, Executive Director, Global to Local
- Babak Parviz, Vice President, Amazon
- Dr. Erika Bliss, CEO, Qliance Management Inc.
- Lisa Thatcher, Qliance Government Affairs
- Cassie Sauer, Executive Vice President, Washington State Hospital Association
- Janet McCoy, wife of Senator McCoy
- Paj Nandi, Director of Community Relations, Washington State Department of Health
- Cindy Gamble, Partnerships for Native Health, Washington State University
- Janice Connolly, Chief of Staff, Swedish Medical Center
- Bruce Agnew, Director, Cascadia Academy
- Dolores Rossman, Rossman-Guerrero y Asociados – Seattle
- Brent Pendleton, Int. Relations & Economic Development Coordinator, Office of Lt. Governor
- Kimberlie Lelli, Senior Legislative Assistant, Washington State Senate
- Progressive States Network: State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform (accessed on Dec. 23, 2010)