Kareem Kandil is a member of Pittsburgh Democratic Socialists of America, a progressive grassroots group that formed to push left-leaning, populist policies similar to those espoused by U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vermont).
Kandil is running as a Democrat in the 30th District, which includes Fox Chapel, O’Hara Township, Hampton Township and Richland. Kandil believes policies like single-payer health care and stricter environmental regulations have support among voter in the 30th District.
“I want to talk to constituents about universal issues,” says Kandil. “Everybody wants good health care, good schools and clean air.”
Kandil lives in Fox Chapel and graduated from Fox Chapel High School, before getting his degree in bio-engineering at the University of Pittsburgh. He currently works as a data scientist for local health-care systems.
Kareem Kandil was born in North Carolina and attended school in Western Pennsylvania, graduating with a degree in bioengineering from the University of Pittsburgh and later working for several years in health care policy. Active in the local Muslim community, Kandil became an early organizer of the local DSA chapter as it grew in the aftermath of Clinton’s loss to Trump and the ensuing inauguration.
DSA national endorsements, 2018/DSA member
Democratic Socialists of America April 26 at 9:51am .
DSA is proud to announce national endorsements for nine candidates who are running for local, state, and federal office!
- Kaniela Ing, U.S. Congress for Hawaii’s 1st Congressional District
- Gayle McLaughlin, California Lieutenant Governor
- Summer Lee, Pennsylvania House of Representatives District 34
- Sara Innamorato, Pennsylvania House of Representatives District 21
- Kareem Kandil, Pennsylvania House of Representatives District 30
- Zellie Thomas, Paterson City Council New Jersey
- Brandy Brooks, Montgomery County Council Maryland
- Danielle Meitiv, Montgomery County Council Maryland
- Chris Wilhelm, Montgomery County Council Maryland
Austin Binns, April 26 2018.
- Congratulations to the following comrades that have received the first round of endorsements from national DSA!! All of the candidates that have received national endorsements are DSA members and share our organization's values and ideas.