John Conyers and Progressive Democrats of America
Progressive Democrats of America board
Peace Pledge Coalition
In 2007 90 Members of Congress, pledged in an open letter delivered to President Bush: "We will only support appropriating funds for U.S. military operations in Iraq during Fiscal Year 2008 and beyond for the protection and safe redeployment of all our troops out of Iraq before you leave office." The letter was initiated by the Peace Pledge Coalition. The Coalition was led by Tim Carpenter, Progressive Democrats of America, Bob Fertik, Democrats.com Medea Benjamin, CodePink, Bill Fletcher, co-founder of Center for Labor Renewal David Swanson, AfterDowningStreet.org, Democrats.com, Progressive Democrats of America, Kevin Zeese, Voters for Peace, Democracy Rising, Brad Friedman, co-founder of Velvet Revolution, Bill Moyer, Backbone Campaign.
PDA claimed successes
Tim Carpenter claimed that Progressive Democrats of America had chalked up several achievements in its short life, successfully promoting initiatives by PDA board members John Conyers and James McGovern.
- PDA was the driving force in the passage of resolutions opposing the war in Iraq by eight state Democratic Party meetings. The organization also was instrumental in the passage of resolutions in 10 states calling for the impeachment of President Bush.
- PDA is often referred to by Congressional Progressive Caucus Executive Director Bill Goold as the CPC’s field operation, because PDA has built relationships with members of Congress by delivering grassroots support for their initiatives – from Rep. John Conyers’ investigation of the 2004 Ohio voting fraud to Rep. Jim McGovern’s bill to cut off funding for the war in Iraq, a current priority effort.
The organization worked hard for Marcy Winograd against Jane Harman and for other "progressive " Democrats including Donna Edwards, Christine Cegelis, Jerry McNerney, Tony Trupiano, John Hall, Jeff Latas, Gabby Giffords and Herb Paine.
- While PDA is still only a progressive “pup” compared with big liberal dogs like MoveOn, PDA-backed candidates have taken some big bites out of conventional wisdom and centrist Democratic complacency. In Los Angeles, local PDA leader Marcy Winograd won 37 percent of the primary vote against entrenched pro-war Democrat Rep. Jane Harman with only two months of lead time. In Maryland, the dynamic Donna Edwards appears to have come only a few hundred votes short of toppling the multi-term Rep. Al Wynn in her first bid for public office, and she is seen as well-positioned to prevail in 2008. And in Illinois, with strong PDA support, Christine Cegelis, though outspent 8 to 1, nearly beat the candidate of the inside-the- Beltway Party leadership and Illinois party machine, Tammy Duckworth, to vie for the seat being vacated by Rep. Henry Hyde.
- This fall, in the House, PDA is focusing attention and effort on several strong progressives worthy of note and support in hopes of flipping several seats from red to blue. In California, Jerry McNerney is running a strong race against an incumbent Republican. In Michigan, Tony Trupiano, with one of the nation’s strongest grassroots efforts, has his sights on an open seat in a Republican-leaning district. And in New York, anti-nuclear activist John Hall has won the Democratic nomination to challenge a four-term incumbent Republican. In Arizona, while the local PDA primary candidate, Jeff Latas, did not prevail, PDA will now enthusiastically join forces with PDA Board Member Rep. Raul Grijalva and support the nominee, the equally progressive Gabby Gifford, as well as PDA-backed Herb Paine, who won a razor-thin primary victory in a neighboring district.
In the United States Senate primary races PDA unsuccessfully backed Jonathan Tasini against Hillary Clinton in New York, In Ohio, PDA backed successful candidate Sherrod Brown. In Connecticut, PDA campaigned to replace pro Iraq War Senator Joe Lieberman with Ned Lamont.
Progressive Democrats of America 2012 endorsement
In 2012, John Conyers (MI), was one of 14 leftist Congressional and Senate candidates endorsed by Progressive Democrats of America, an organization dominated by members or affiliates of Democratic Socialists of America and the Institute for Policy Studies.
Launch of Greater Detroit PDA Chapter
Sat, Oct 20, 2012 Colors Restaurant 311 E. Grand River, Detroit Rep. John Conyers (MI-14) and candidate for Congress for the 11th Congressional District Dr. Syed Taj addressed the launch of the new Greater Detroit area chapter of Progressive Democrats of America. David Green (DSA) and Tim Carpenter (National Director for PDA) also spoke.
- This event is a chance to meet the greater progressive community of Detroit and make plans to elect Dr Syed Taj.
Tribute to Tim Carpenter
HON. JOHN CONYERS, in the house of representatives, Tuesday, December 10, 2013
- Mr. CONYERS. Mr. Speaker, on behalf of Mr. Ellison of Minnesota and Mr. Grijalva of Arizona, the co-chairs of the Congressional Progressive Caucus, as well as Ms. Lee of California, Mr. McGovern of Massachusetts and Mr. Grayson of Florida, I rise to acknowledge the many contributions of Mr. Tim Carpenter, and to send him wishes for healing as he fights against cancer. As the co-founder and director of the Progressive Democrats of America, Tim has helped to create a grassroots movement to bring the voice of the people to Washington.
- For the past thirty years, Tim has been indefatigable in pressing forward progressive ideals to help strengthen our American democracy. He has been in the forefront of progressive causes, from promoting nuclear disarmament to fighting to abolish the death penalty to establishing health care as a human right, as well as securing voting rights and jobs for all.
Progressive Democrats of America had a moderately successful election 2012, cycle, with all of its incumbent allies—Reps. John Conyers (D-Mich.), Donna Edwards (D-Md.), Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.), James McGovern (D-Mass.) and Barbara Lee—holding on to their seats.
The Peoples' Inauguration
Progressive Central: The Peoples' Inauguration was held Saturday, January 19, 2013, at the UDC David A. Clarke School of Law 5th Floor Moot Court Room, 4340 Connecticut Avenue NW, Washington, DC.
The event was sponsored by Progressive Democrats of America, The Nation, National Nurses United, Democrats.com and Busboys and Poets. The event was advertised and promoted by the Institute for Policy Studies.
The 11:15 am-‐12:30 pm session What will the Progressive Agenda be in 2013? was moderated by John Nichols, and featured Rep. Jim McGovern – Rep. John Conyers -‐ Andrea Miller, PDA National Team -‐ Randy Parraz, Citizens for a Better Arizona.
In the 113th Congress , some PDA-backed Democrats planned to introduce pieces of legislation that enjoy widespread support among the American left—but will, in all likelihood, be met with stiff opposition. Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) said he would introduce a full employment act. Conyers will also again introduce a version of the so-called “Medicare-for-all” bill, which would create a single-payer universal healthcare system. 
PDA 2016 endorsements
In 2016 Progressive Democrats of America endorsed;
- Sen. Bernie Sanders - President
- Rep. Alan Grayson - Senate (FL)
- Rep. Donna Edwards - Senate (MD)
- Jamie Raskin - US House (MD08)
- Tim Canova - US House (FL-23)
- Bao Nguyen - US House (CA46)
- Nanette Barragan - US House (CA44)
- Rep. Keith Ellison (MD05)
- Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ03)
- Rep. John Conyers (MI13)
- Rep. Barbara Lee (CA13)
- Rep. Jim McGovern (MA02)
- Rep. Mark Pocan (WI02)
- Rep. Rick Nolan (MN08)
- Rep. Hank Johnson - US House (GA05)
- Rep. Jan Schakowsky (IL09)
- War Is A Crime .org, Peace Pledge Coalition
- [http://www.democrats.com/peace-pledge Democrats.com. Sign the Pledge for Peace petition. Bob Fertik August 19, 2007
- PDA website, accessed 2009
- PDA Launch of Greater Detroit PDA Chapter
- Cong. Record, December 10, 2013 113th Congress, 1st Session Issue: Vol. 159, No. 174 — Daily Edition. HONORING TIM CARPENTER (Extensions of Remarks - December 10, 2013) HON. JOHN CONYERS, JR.
- /progressive_democrats_hold_a_peoples_inauguration, ITT, January 15, 2013, A Peoples’ Inauguration, BY Cole Stangler
- PDA website, accessed Jan 15, 2013
- ITT, January 22, 2013, Progressive Democrats: Inside and Outside, BY Cole Stangler
- PDA endorsed candidates, accessed April 17, 2016