Jim Schmidt was the partner of Denise Young. Died circa 2014.
Communist Party reformer
In 1991 Jim Schmidt, New York was one of several hundred Communist Party USA members to sign the a paper "An initiative to Unite and Renew the Party" - most signatories left the Party after the December 1991 conference to found Committees of Correspondence.
CoC National Conference endorser
In 1992 Jim Schmidt, Rochester CoC, endorsed the Committees of Correspondence national conference Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s held at Berkeley California July 17-19.
Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s
The Conference on Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the 90s was the Committees of Correspondence's first national conference held in Berkeley, California July 17-19, 1992.
Workshops that were held at the conference on Saturday, July 18 included:
Social Crisis The growing social crisis - Urban and rural. How should the left view the problem of crime, delinquency and drugs? Is there a way to halt the destruction of communities?
- Millie Cleveland, youth advocate, Oakland
- John Talbut, asst. to the Pres., AFSCME Local 371, NY
- Jim Schmidt, Rochester, CoC, NY
- Coraminita Mahr, VP, Local 1199
- Addendum to Initiative document
- [http://www.nathannewman.org/EDIN/.left/CoC/.conference/.election.html, Committees of Correspondence Conference, July 19,1992 Final Corrections to the Balloting Committee Report by Steve Willett]
- CCDS Background
- Conference program
- Proceedings of the Committees of Correspondence Conference: Perspectives for Democracy and Socialism in the '90s booklet, printed by CoC in NY, Sept. 1992 (Price: $4)