In 2016 Jenishea Lewis is a co-chair of the Progressive Student Alliance, which is affiliated with United Students Against Sweatshops.
Jenishea Lewis, senior in psychology, transferred to UT in 2014, and since then they've achieved a high profile as both an organizer and student activist on campus.
"Shea's really good at mobilizing people, at meeting people where they're at and listening to their experiences rather than trying to tell them what they should think or feel about an issue. And I think that's a really important part of organizing,” said Elizabeth Stanfield, senior in anthropology and geography.
The Daily Beacon spoke with Lewis on their last year at UT, Gov. Haslam's privatization proposal and what fuels their activism in Knoxville and beyond.
Daily Beacon: How are you involved on campus?
Lewis: I'm a co-chair of the Progressive Student Alliance. We're affiliated with United Students Against Sweatshops, which is a national student organization. We do a lot of our own solidarity work with whatever injustices we see, but primarily we focus on labor. Along with our solidarity efforts and cosponsoring, our core campaigns usually revolve around labor, whether it be campus worker justice or with international solidarity campaigns. We try to work on a grassroots level while getting as much support from students as possible — we focus on outreaching to other students to be advocates and support our campaigns for worker/student solidarity. Rather than having the student-savior complex, we ask 'What do you need from us as students?'
"Say Zir Name"
Dunford Hall room 2326 Thursday 12 November 2015, organized by UTK Progressive Student Alliance "Say Zir Name".
- Special guest Cazembe Jackson, our trans brother and bad ass organizer for South will share his story as a transman in the movement and how he held his comrades accountable for his pronouns. He will also make awareness for pronouns and elevating trans existance more intersectional mentioning policy brutality and mass incarceration of black transwomen.
Those indicating attendance on Wherevent included Melanie Barron, Kristin Moretz, Lucy Greer, LaSabra LeeAnn Williams, Emily Gregg, Donna Bra-kay, Morgan Smith, Rachel West, Allison Joslin, Kristen Godfrey, Amira Sakalla, Caroline Rogers, Meghan Martin, Elizabeth Stanfield, Alina Clay, Jocelyn B. White, Gwen Schablik, Jamie Greig, Breann Cooper, Mary Geiser, Lindsay Jai, Cris Dark, Hanna Cat Wilkinson, Becca Payton, Genevieve Jeter, Priyam Madhukar, Leigh Belmont, Nicky Frazier, Courtney Anderson, Chelsey Verzosa, Charlotte Lee, Maggie Marsh, Erica Davis, Catherine Boggan, Alyssa Loveday, Hayley Brundige, Anna Masson, Karly Safar, Danielle Sapore, Sara Hitson, Emily Hoffman, Madeleine Lewis, Amanda Eleanor Pitts, Kennedy Childress, Deanna Nagle, Rachel Pilkinton, Ciara Louise Naomi, Evie Briley, Elizabeth Wright, Bailey Ayanna Allen, Katie Myers, Charice Starr, Colleen Ryan, Kelsey Theodore, Kamilya Gosmanova, Emily Robinson, Rae Jones, Kate Stamper, Carlie Nicole, Yasameen Hoffman-Shahin, Kaleb Emmert, Klay Ra Willyn, Travis Daniel Wilson, Brandon Shaw, Johnathan DeWitt Clayton, David Alex Hayes, Mitch Thompson, David Collins, Will Clifft, Ariel Tesla Farley, Joshua Brown, Don Black, Kumail Ibraheem, Andy Renison, William Dirmeyer, Benjamin D. Young, Adam Hughes, Ben McClendon, John Pena, Robert Cremins, Noah King, Mark McKee, Jack Petschulat, Jordan Welsh, Brandon Ray Darr, Jenishea Lewis, Alex Fields, Rodolfo Urquieta, Will Gabelman, JT Taylor, Dhruv Majumdar, Tyler Kibbey, Devin Earhart, Thomas Tran, Geoffrey M. Bennett Hervey, Harlan Mitchell, Wesley Shaun Malik Williams, Kendrick Young. 
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Jenishea Lewis.
Eat Out (with) PSA
- Percentage night at local restaurant Moe's! Support UTK's oldest progressive student organization, the Progressive Student Alliance, and learn all about what we do!
Those invited, on Facebook, included Jenishea Lewis.
- UTK PSA FB photos page, accessed December 3, 2015
- [http://www.utdailybeacon.com/news/article_992d9cf8-55d5-11e5-81fc-5feea78b931d.html The Daily beacon, Privatized custodial proposition prompts backlash and protests Posted: Monday, September 7, 2015 10:59 pm Hannah Marley]
- Wherevent, Say Zir Name