James Marren is an Iowa activist.
In 2017 James Marren was an Iowa Democratic Party Progressive Caucus Veterans Caucus Vice Chair Candidate.
- I grew up in Minnesota as a member of the Democratic Farm Labor (DFL) party; one of the original progressive Democratic parties. Progressive politics is in my blood – my Senator was Paul Wellstone, whose death was a tragic loss to the party, but whose flame has not been extinguished
- I got involved in the Iowa caucus-to-convention process beginning in 2000 while supporting the Bill Bradley campaign; much of time participating in Rules Committee activities
- I participated in veteran’s activities in support of John Kerry’s 2004 bid for the presidency
- I supported Dennis Kucinich in both his bids for president. Interesting note: Dennis and Paul Wellstone were the founders of the Congressional Progressive Caucus.
- I represented Iowa as Rules Committee Member at the 2016 Democratic National Convention
- I am a founding board member of the Veteran National Recovery Center (VNRC).
- I provided logistical support for Ako Abdul-Samad during his 2006 and 2008 campaigns for the Iowa House
- I am a member of the following organizations: IA Veterans Caucus, Veterans National Recovery Center, MoveOn.org. Democrats for America, Iowa Black Caucus, Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement, NAACP, Progress Iowa.
- United States Army
- Combat medic in Viet Nam
- OR Tech in an Evac hospital in Japan
- OR Tech in Bremerhaven GR field hospital