Anti War protestor
- I’m one of those who were storming U.S. consulates and embassies in Europe in protest over the Vietnam War.
At the 2000 eighteenth annual Socialist Scholars Conference in New York, Utopian visions with bite were the topic of a panel on science fiction and socialism organized by DSA. Authors Terry Bisson, Bears Discover Fire, and Michael Swanwick, Stations of the Tide, joined Rutgers professor H. Bruce Franklin and Australian critic Justine Larballestier. The Nation UN correspondent and NY Democratic Socialists of america member Ian Williams reported that the people at the panel were excited by the fact that “Sci-fi allows one to try out our ideas. Most socialist utopianism is boring, conflict-free, nothing to work out. Sci-fi adds back some of the clash of ideas, interests, reintroduces evil.” Next year we hope there will be other panels on detective fiction, movies, maybe sports.
DSA’s Cuba Letter
Ian Williams signed an April 2003 Statement on Cuba, initiated and circulated by prominent Democratic Socialists of America (DSA) member Leo Casey, calling for the lifting of trade sanctions against Cuba.
- “a statement circulating among democratic left/socialist folks, largely by members of Democratic Socialists of America, condemning the recent trials and convictions of non-violent dissenters in Cuba”.
The petition criticized Cuba's poor human rights record, but shared the blame for Cuba's problems with reactionary elements of the U.S. administration...
- The democratic left worldwide has opposed the U.S. embargo on Cuba as counterproductive, more harmful to the interests of the Cuban people than helpful to political democratization. The Cuban state's current repression of political dissidents amounts to collaboration with the most reactionary elements of the U.S. administration in their efforts to maintain sanctions and to institute even more punitive measures against Cuba.
Many of the petition's 120 odd signatories were known members of DSA.
Meeting Bill Clinton
Socialist Scholars Conference 2002
One of the "highlights" of the 2002 Socialist Scholars Conference (April 12-14, NYC) was a lively debate on “Just Wars” with DSAers Michael Walzer of Dissent and Ian Williams of The Nation taking on Steve Shalom of New Politics and Tariq Ali of New Left Review.
Democratic Socialists of America
Anti Bush book
In 2004, author, columnist and CNN commentator Ian Williams released, through Nation Books "Deserter: Bush’s War onMilitary Families,Veterans and His Past", an expose of George bush's military service record.
In February 2004, Young Democratic Socialists convened a "Life After Bush" conference at CUNY Graduate Center in new york.
- Cornel West, Department of Religion, Princeton University; author of Race Matters and many other books; Honorary Chair of Democratic Socialists of America
- Frances Fox Piven, Distinguished Professor of Political Science, the Graduate Center, CUNY; author of Poor People's Movements and many other works; Honorary Chair of Democratic Socialists of America
- Ian Williams, author of The U.N. for Beginners and a correspondent for In These Times and The Nation
Open Letter to Obama on Iran
In 2008 Ian Williams a Writer, Senior Analyst FPIF, New York signed an online petition “A Open Letter to Barack Obama on Iran”.
New York DSA Facebook group
New Yorkers for Bernie
Jill Greenberg April 9, 2016
Welcome home, Bernie Sanders! New York, New York, it's a helluva town, the Bronx is up and the Battery's down ... Help Canvass & Win New York for Bernie! bernie.to/NYCanvass
- NYforBernie #WFP4Bernie #NYLabor4Bernie — with Darius Khalil Gordon, Raybblin Vargas, Gili Getz, Lillian Gorman, Rachel Eve Stein, Arlene Geiger, Miriam Rabban, Mindy Rosier, Phillip Anderson, Joe Dinkin, Javier Anderson, Andrew C. White, Rafael Shimunov, Ian Williams, Elena Hermanson, Susan M. Dooha, Karla Fisk, Moumita Ahmed, Andi Dier, Flora Ichiou Huang, Caleb-Michael Files, Dave Handy, Charles Lenchner, Jon E. Dominos, Owen Crowley, Sam Himmelstein, Kristina Andreotta, Daniel Millstone, Heidi Siegfried, Glenn Oldhoff, Maria Svart, Sam Massol, Nadya Stevens, Winnie Wong, Akiko Ichikawa, Peter Hogness, Mark L. Hannay, David Unger, Jeffrey Gold, Emiljana Ulaj, Alice Fisher, Katherine Brezler, Josh Siegel, Steve Oliver and Candice Fortin.
- Democratic Left • Summer 2004
- [http://www.dsaboston.org/yradical/yr2002-06.pdf the yankee radical June 2002]
- Democratic Left • Summer 2004
- Open Letter to Obama on Iran