Holly Herbert is an Iowa activist.
Iowa Democratic Party’s State Central Committee voted to recommend the creation of a new Progressive Caucus at the state convention on June 18, 2016.
The idea for such a committee isn’t new – it’s been debated within the party over the years, but disagreements over what it would stand for kept it from becoming a reality. And at this weekend’s meeting the discussion reportedly didn’t fall solely along Clinton/Sanders lines, with several central committee members who backed Hillary Clinton bringing the motion forward and speaking in favor of it. The main argument in its favor was that it would provide a welcoming home for new, left-leaning Democrats to enter the party structure.
This progressive group already exists in a way online, in the form of a Facebook group started by Jason Frerichs, the chair of the Montgomery County Democrats. There members discuss progressive policies they’d like to see enacted in the state party’s platform and debate which candidates to support in the upcoming primaries. The conversations are considerably more productive than what you see on other Facebook sites.
“The idea is to push more of those progressive ideas forward,” explained Holly Herbert, a newly-elected central committee member from the 3rd District who supported Sanders. “The group is open to everybody. There’s folks who support Sanders, there’s folks who support Clinton, and there’s some who don’t necessarily like either.”
“Part of the reason I joined the group was I was interested to see what people were talking about locally,” she added. “I feel like so much of this has been focused on the presidential race, and I think it’s more important to focus on local politics.”
New officers Progressive Caucus
- District 1 Chair: Ruth Walker
- District1 Vice Chair: Open
- District 2 Chair: Ryan Rogers
- District 2 Vice Chair: Eva McBride
- District 3 Chair: Holly Herbert
- District 3 Vice Chair: Abshir Omar
- District 4 Chair: Amanda Malaski
- District 4 Vice Chair: Brian Josephson
Iowa Democratic Party Progressive Caucus Facebook Group
Admins and Moderators
- Jason Frerichs, Iowa City High School
- Holly Herbert
- Chicho Blanco
- Madalyn Anderson, Communications Committee Chair at Story County Democrats of Iowa
- Crystal Defatte, Writer and Editor at Progressive Voices of Iowa
- Amanda Malaski, Jewell, Iowa
- Annaleah Moore, Simpson
- Lindsey Nichole, Kirkwood
- Dylan Funk, Application Developer at Ortho2
- Holly Christine Brown, University of Iowa
Iowa DSA-Social/Non-Business facebook group
In September 2017 Holly Herbert was a member of the Iowa DSA-Social/Non-Business public facebook group.
DSA of Iowa public Facebook group
In September 2017 Holly Herbert was a member of the Democratic Socialists of Iowa public Facebook group.