Dr. Harlow Shapley (born Nov. 2, 1885 in Nashville, Missouri, died 1972) was the son of Sarah Stowell and Willis Shapley. He married Martha Betz. He is famous in the world of astronomy for proving that our solar system is at the outer fringe of the Milky Way. In the world of fellow travelers (Communist sympathizers), he is famous not only for his front activities but also for his active support of Communist projects and enterprises, individual Communists, and a pro-Communist foreign-policy.
American Association of Scientific Workers
American Association of Scientific Workers was founded in 1938 and was affiliated to the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
AASW sponsors and founders included:
- Franz Boas
- Anton J.Carlson
- Karl T. Compton
- Watson Davis
- Kirtley Mather
- Harlow Shapley
- Harold Urey
- Arthur H. Compton
Federation of American Scientists
The Federation of American Scientists was founded in 1945 by scientists who had worked on the Manhattan Project to develop the first atomic bombs.
FAS was founded from the merger of thirteen smaller groups. It started with a membership of more than 2,000 scientists and an advisory panel that included Robert Oppenheimer, Harold Urey, Harlow Shapley, Smyth, Leo Szilard and Edward U. Condon.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
Shapley was elected president of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1947.
Scientific and Cultural Conference for World Peace
Harlow Shapley was a sponsor of the Scientific and Cultural Conference for World Peace which ran from March 25 - 27, 1949 in New York City. It was arranged by a Communist Party USA front organization known as the National Council of the Arts, Sciences, and Professions. The conference was a follow-up to a similar gathering, the strongly anti-America, pro-Soviet World Congress of Intellectuals which was held in Poland, August 25 - 28, 1948.
In 1956, the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee included Shapley's name in its list of the eighty-two most active and typical sponsors of Communist front organizations. Shapley's affiliations have included the following organizations:
- American Committee for Democracy and Intellectual Freedom, "Communist front, subversive and un-American"
- American Russian Institute, "subversive, Communist, specializing in pro-Soviet propaganda"
- Citizens Committee to Free Earl Browder, "Communist"
- Committee of One Thousand, "Communist created and controlled front organization"
- Congress of American Women, "subversive and Communist"
- Council for Pan-American Democracy, "subversive and Communist, Communist front
- Freedom from Fear Committee, "Communist front"
- Greater New York Emergency Conference on Inalienable Rights, "Communist front"
- Hollywood Writers Mobilization for Defense, "subversive and Communist"
- Independent Citizens Committee of the Arts, Sciences and Professions, "Communist front"
- Joint Anti-Fascist Refugee Committee, "subversive and Communist"
- League of American Writers, "subversive and Communist"
- National Emergency Conference, "Communist front"
- National Emergency Conference for Democratic Rights, "Communist front, subversive and un-American"
- National Federation for Constitutional Liberties, "subversive and Communist, under Communist Party domination and headed by responsible Party functionaries"
- Progressive Citizens of America, "political Communist front"
- Scientific and Cultural Conference for World Peace, "Communist front"
- Veterans of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, "subversive and Communist"
- World Congress of Intellectuals, "Communist"
- National Committee for Abolition of the House Un-American Activities Committee, an organization "to lead and direct the Communist Party's Operation Abolition campaign"
- American Continental Congress for World Peace, "another phase in the Communist 'peace' campaign, aimed at consolidating anti-American forces throughout the Western Hemisphere"
- Women's International League for Peace & Freedom, "radical-pacifist"
- United World Federalists, "radical-pacifist, the most prestigious group of fellow travelers and dupes working for world government at the expense of American sovereignty"
National Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee
As of May 1964, Harlow Shapley Astronomy Emeritus, Harvard University, was listed as a sponsor of the Communist Party USA front, National Committee to Abolish the House Un-American Activities Committee.
- Biographical Dictionary of the Left, Francis X. Gannon, Vol. 1, pp. 539-540
- Crucibles: the story of chemistry from ancient alchemy to nuclear fission, By Bernard Jaffe, page 312
- Crucibles: the story of chemistry from ancient alchemy to nuclear fission By Bernard Jaffe, page 312
- Review of the Scientific and Cultural Conference for World Peace by the Committee on Un-American Activities, U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C., April 19, 1949