Protesting police investigations
On December 8 2005, former Black Panther Party members, John L. Bowman, Hank Jones and Ray Boudreaux held a meeting at the Washington, DC office of Trans-Africa Forum. They were complaining about re-newed police investigations of a 1971 police killing in San Francisco that they had been accused of.
They had been indicted at the time by a grand jury, but were released when the court rendered a decision stating the methods used to obtain information were illegal.
Charles Ogletree, said that the community should protect the rights of the former Panthers with their lives.
- "These gentlemen, Ray Boudreaux, Hank Jones and others have been victims of the most vicious forms of American terrorism and torture...It takes a village to protect its elders. We tell them today, through our presence here and through our commitment that we will provide a protective blanket over them. They will not come in this village and take these elders, except over our dead bodies."
The Movement for Black Lives
The Black Panther Party: Looking Back To Look Forward, Hank Jones: Former Member of Black Panther Party, Pam Hannah: Former member of the Black Panther Party, Ashanti Alston: Former member of the Black Panther Party & former political prisoner, Dhoruba Bin-Wahad: Former member of the Black Panther Party & former political prisoner).
- At a moment of growing resistance to state violence and injustice the world over, a delegation of nineteen anti-prison, labor and scholar-activists from the United States traveled to Palestine in March 2016. Our delegation included former US-held political prisoners and social prisoners, former Black Panther Party members, prison abolitionists, trade unionists and university professors. We are the first US delegation to Palestine to focus specifically on political imprisonment and solidarity between Palestinian and US prisoners. Our delegation also focused on recent labor struggles in Palestine for bread and dignity, and on the struggles of Palestinian intellectuals to assert the rightful claims of Indigenous Palestinians to their land, culture and history.
- Rabab Abdulhadi, author and professor, San Francisco State University*, California
- Diana Block, author and activist, California Coalition for Women Prisoners*, San Francisco, California
- Susan Chen, counselor faculty, member California Faculty Association - SFSU chapter Affirmative Action Rep, San Francisco State University*, California
- Dennis Childs, author and professor, University of California*, San Diego
- Susie Day, writer, Monthly Review Press*, New York City, New York
- Emory Douglas, Revolutionary Artist and Minister of Culture, Black Panther Party, 1967-1982
- Johanna Fernandez, author and professor, City University of New York-Baruch College*; Organizer, Campaign to Bring Mumia Home
- Diane Fujino, author and professor, University of California*, Santa Barbara
- Alborz Ghandehari, member of BDS Caucus of UAW 2865, University of California Student-Workers Union*
- Anna Henry, activist and member, California Coalition for Women Prisoners*, San Francisco
- Rachel Herzing, independent scholar and co-founder, Critical Resistance*, Oakland, California
- Hank Jones, activist, former US-Held political prisoner and member, Black Panther Party, Los Angeles, California
- Manuel la Fontaine, former US-held prisoner and member, All of Us or None*, San Francisco, California
- Claude Marks, Former US-held political prisoner, Freedom Archives*, San Francisco, California
- Nathaniel Moore, archivist, Freedom Archives*, San Francisco, California
- Isaac Ontiveros, member, Critical Resistance*, Oakland, California
- Michael Ritter, counselor faculty; member CSU Academic Senate & CFA Board of Directors, San Francisco State University*, California
- Jaime Veve, Co-Convener, Labor for Palestine*, New York City, New York
- Laura Whitehorn, Former US-held political prisoner, New York City, New York
- [ http://movementforblacklives.org/schedule/speakers/Movement for Black Lives conference program, accessed November 20, 2015]
- Truthout We Stand With Palestine in the Spirit of "Sumud": The US Prisoner, Labor and Academic Solidarity Delegation to Palestine Sunday, 17 April 2016 00:00