HANA Center is the Chicago affiliate of NAKASEC. Launched in February 2017, HANA Center is a merger of Korean American Community Services (KACS, founded 1972) and Korean American Resource and Cultural Center (KRCC, founded 1995). Meaning “one” in Korean, HANA is the culmination of a vision held by key stakeholders of KRCC and KACS. These leaders recognized the great potential of establishing a single, united organization that combined KACS’ history of responding to the critical needs of the Korean American and local resident communities and KRCC’s track record of powerful community organizing, advocacy and celebration of cultural heritage.
As of January 2018;
- Executive Director, Inhe Choi
- Deputy Director, Taneka Hye Wol Jennings
- Organizing Director, Nayoung Ha
- Director Resource Development, Jeff Chan
- Director of Immigration Services and Legal Services, Jeongwha Yi Boyle
- Director of Senior Services and Public Benefits, Eunki Kim
- Director of Early Childhood, Linda Wang
- Director of Community Wellness, Janet Martinez
- Director of Community Education, Soo-Lyon Yon
- Outreach and workforce development Manager, Jennifer Brown
- Youth Organizer, Jeremy Heo
- Youth Organizer, Yujin Maeng
- Manager, Moogoong Terrace, Hyang Soo Park
- Manager Koram Senior Housing, Heather Kim
Meeting with Tammy Duckworth
HANA Center Honors Rasmea Odeh May 2017
The NAKASEC-affiliated HANA Center's Inaugural Fundraising Gala, Root To Fruit: Rooted in community, growing together took place on May 5, 2017 in Skokie, IL. The Keynote Speaker was Bernarda Wong Founder and Former President, Chinese American Service League. Rasmea Odeh | Arab American Action Network was the Honoree and the Emcee was Peter Kim | Comedian, Actor, Writer.
June 9, 2017 Senator Dick Durbin held a discussion at HANA Center with the members of the Chicago-area Korean community regarding his recent visit to South Korea.
Senator Durbin traveled to South Korea last week where he became the first member of Congress to meet with newly-elected President Moon Jae-in and other key officials. They discussed regional issues and the relationship between the United States and South Korea.
Closed Strategy Meeting
HANA Center July 24, 2017 Chicago, IL;
- HANA Center joined a closed stragedy (sic) meeting and press conference with Senator Dick Durbin about Dream Act which was re-introduced by bi-partisan support. #FightforDACA, #DreamAct.
- [https://twitter.com/cpatel17/status/954056765649440768 , Accessed January 30 2018
- [https://twitter.com/HANACenter/status/860677151472984064 , accessed January 18 2018]
- [ https://www.hanacenter.org/news-events/2017/6/09/hana-center-hosts-senator-dick-durbins-briefing-following-his-visit-to-south-korea HANA Center, June 9, 2017 Hana Center Hosts Senator Dick Durbin's Briefing Following His Visit to South Korea]