Frances Gabow is a Communist Party USA veteran.
From her earliest youth she was an active participant in labor's struggles. During the 1930's she was involved in cultural activities that entertained sit-in strikes during the CIO organizing campaigns. She was active in the defense of the Scottsboro boys and an active member of the Young Communist League USA and student of Marxism Leninism. In 1939 she joined the Communist Party USA in Philadelphia, and was soon to become the chairperson of the then 4th Congressional District.
Frances Gabow has been active in civil rights struggles. She led the first demonstrations to desegregate Woolworths in Philadelphia, and fought to defend the foreign born. She was called before House Un-American Activities Committee during the 1950s and was cited by the Attorney General under the infamous McCarren Act. She has run for elected office and was active in the struggles to end the Korean and Vietnam Wars. Today, she is involved in the Philadelphia Area Coalition to Defend Public Healthcare, in the coalition to fight the high price of gas, as well as political action.
- The shocking events of 9/11 have energized her to include resistance to the George Bush War and calling for world unity to combat terrorism.
Illinois Communist Party
Linda Appelhans, Margaret Appelhans, Arnold Becchetti, Leon Beverly, Richard Criley, Reverend Martin Deppe, Ishmael Flory, Frances Gabow, Ben Green, Bill Hampton, FatherJohn Hill, Mrs. Christine Johnson, Jack Kling, Attorney Max Maiman, Margaret Palmer, John Pappademos, Ted Pearson, A. A. Rayner, Jr., Harold Rogers, Norman Roth, Attorney Irving Steinberg, Gil Terry, Robbylee Terry, Charles Wilson and Sylvia Woods.
Communist Party MLK tribute
We salute Dr. King’s courage and vision. He saw and struggled for an America and world that can be. We pledge in his memory to work to reorder our nation’s priorities “so that the pursuit of peace will take precedence over the pursuit of war.”
Communist Party USA
Asad Ali, Billie Penn Johnson, Denise Winebrenner Edwards, Donna Puleio Spadaro Dr A. S. Mahdi Ibn-Ziyad, Gary Puleio (In Memoriam), George Edwards, Joe Kopnitsky, Ken Heard, Ben Sears, Dave Bell, Debbie Bell, Diane Mohney & John Vago, Evie Horwitz & Larry Horwitz , Frances Gabow, The Incognito Family, James Bradford, Jimmie Wayne Moore, June Krebs, Leonard Pepper, Rookie Perna, Rosita Johnson, Sharon Hurley.
Communist Party tribute
In July 2007, the Communist Party USA paper Peoples World published a tribute "We salute Joyce Wheeler" to retiring Baltimore public school teacher and Communist Party member Joyce Wheeler. Frances Gabow and Rookie Perna signed the tribute page. Most of the more than 100 signatories were identified Party members.
- Daily World, November 2, 1972, page 2
- Full text of "The nationwide drive against law enforcement intelligence operations : hearing before the Subcommittee to Investigate the Administration of the Internal Security Act and Other Internal Security Laws of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-fourth Congress, first session
- 1976 Communist Party Electoral Petition.
- We salute the labor movement!, People's World, September 1, 2006
- We salute Joyce Wheeler, Peoples world July 27, 2007