Anti "sweating" ordinance
On Wednesday, July 18, 2001, the Boston City Council moved one step closer toward adoption of an anti-sweatshop ordinance. The Council heard testimony from UNITE and other unions, anti sweatshop activists, and "faith-based" supporters, who called upon the City to take action.
Democratic Socialists of America member Bob Ross of Clark University presented testimony based on his research and investigations of international sweatshops. Also testifying was Ben McKean, a senior at Harvard and a veteran of the Harvard Living Wage Campaign.
Enid Eckstein who works for the national AFL-CIO wrote an article about this "City Council Smacks Sweatshops" for the August issue of The Yankee Radical, the newsletter of Boston Democratic Socialists of America.
DSA union forum
On September 8 2005 Boston Democratic Socialists of America and Jobs with Justice co-sponsored a forum on the recent split in the AFL-CIO before a Boston audience of about 30 people. Trade unionists from the dissident Change to Win Coalition engaged AFL-CIO loyalists and others in a wide ranging discussion that revealed more agreement about the problems of the labor movement than solutions, but also a desire, where possible, to work together.
Enid Eckstein (SEIU 2020) asserted that, critics to the contrary, SEIU went through extensive democratic debates and membership consultation before deciding to leave the AFL-CIO.
- Rich Rogers - Chair, Executive Secretary-Treasurer, Greater Boston Labor Council
- Lauren Jacobs - Treasurer, Organizing Director, Service Employees International Union Local 615
- Tom Callahan - Clerk, Executive Director, Mass Affordable Housing Alliance
- Kalila Barnett, Executive Director, Alternatives for Community & Environment
- Enid Eckstein, Vice President, 1199 SEIU
- Tom Flynn, Political Director, New England Regional Council of Carpenters
- Warren Pepicelli, Manager/Vice President, New England Joint Board UNITE HERE
- Mimi Ramos, Director, New England United for Justice
Support for Bernie Sanders
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included Enid Eckstein.
International Women's Day Celebration
Chinese Progressive Association (Boston) International Women's Day Celebration March 8, 2017 - 5:30pm
SEIU 32BJ Local 615 26 West Street Boston, MA 02111.
Celebrate International Women’s Day and the Chinese Progressive Association Workers Center’s 30 years of organizing.
Host Committee members included Enid Eckstein.
Backing Jared Golden
Rand Wilson November 3
Let’s flip the House! Great to knock doors today with this crew to put Jared Golden over the top in Maine’s Congressional District 2. — with Enid Eckstein, Joanie Parker and Leslie Cohen in Farmington, Maine.