Ellen Anderson was a State Senator from Minnesota, until March 9, 2011, when Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton announced her appointment as chair of the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission. She resigned her Senate seat effective March 20, 2011.
She is married to Andy Dawkins.
Progressive Minnesota endorsement
Despite the successful effort by conservative Democratic Party forces to deny Progressive Minnesota the opportunity to use fusion in the fall of 1996, the "state legislative candidates that sought our nomination still see themselves as Progressive Minnesota candidates, and we're still backing them in the general election". Progressive Minnesota/New Party endorsed candidates included Ellen Anderson, Karen Clark, Andy Dawkins, Linda Higgins, and Sandy Pappas. Progressive Minnesota has also endorsed Green Party USA State Assembly candidate Cam Gordon.
Fundraiser for Barbara Lee
Please join Congresswoman Betty McCollum, Sen. Ellen Anderson, Rep. Keith Ellison, Councilmember Gary Schiff, Erin Ghere, Brigid McDonough, Al McFarlane, Batala McFarlane, Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace, St. Louis Park Neighbors for Peace, Jim Scheibel, and Tammy Tesky in welcoming Congresswoman Barbara Lee Sunday July 13, 2003 at Minneapolis Urban League,
On September 14th, 2001, she courageously cast her lone vote against granting the President a blank check to wage war without constraint and throughout the world. Barbara Lee is a leader in the fight for peace, social justice, and equality.
Saint Paul Supports Keith Ellison Fundraiser
"The list of those expected to show up smiling and fork over the moola reads like a who's-who of tax-and-spend big government in St. Paul": Sen. Ellen Anderson, Rep. Matt Entenza, Chief Bill Finney & Linda Finney, Rep. Alice Hausman, Council Member Lee Helgen, Rep. Sheldon Johnson, School Board Member Kazoua Kong-Thao, Council President Kathy Lantry, Rep. John Lesch, Rep. Tim Mahoney, Rep. Carlos Mariani, Council Member Debbie Montgomery, Revs. Byron Moore & Sharon Moore, Sen. Mee Moua, School Board Member Al Oertwig, Comm. Rafael Ortega, Sen. Sandy Pappas, Rep. Michael Paymar, Comm. Victoria Reinhardt, (former Mayor) Jim Scheibel, School Board President Elona Street-Stewart, Rep. Cy Thao, Council Member Dave Thune, Rev. Carl Walker. 
Supported Progressive Health Care Reform
In late 2009, Ellen Anderson was one of more than 1,000 state legislators to sign a letter entitled "State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform". The letter was a project of the Progressive States Network and was developed in consultation with national health care reform advocates, including the AFL-CIO, AFSCME, Community Catalyst, Families USA, Herndon Alliance, National Women's Law Center, Northeast Action, SEIU, and Universal Health Care Action Network. The letter reads in part,
- "Failure to pass national comprehensive health reform now will further jeopardize state and local budgets, undermining public services like education, public safety, and transportation infrastructure... We, the undersigned, call on President Obama and the Congress to enact bold and comprehensive health care reform this year – based on these principles and a strong federal-state collaboration – and pledge our support as state legislators and allies in pursuit of guaranteed, high quality, affordable health care for all."
- The Columbus Free Press New Party Online News: Running to Win New Party members are busy knocking on doors, hammering down lawn signs, and phoning voters to support NP candidates this fall, November 1996
- [http://220.127.116.11/community.asp?userAction=showEvent&EventId=457, INSIGHT NEWS, community events, Congresswoman Barbara Lee 7/13/2003]
- Ravenscroft Dog Farm, 07 AUGUST 2006, Are You Ready for Some Socialism?
- Progressive States Network: State Legislators for Progressive Health Care Reform (accessed on Dec. 23, 2010)