"Support Bill Ayers"
In October 2008, several thousand college professors, students and academic staff signed a statement Support Bill Ayers in solidarity with former Weather Underground Organization terrorist Bill Ayers.
In the run up to the U.S. presidential elections, Ayers had come under considerable media scrutiny, sparked by his relationship to presidential candidate Barack Obama.
- We write to support our colleague Professor William Ayers, Distinguished Professor of Education and Senior University Scholar at the University of Illinois at Chicago, who is currently under determined and sustained political attack...
- We, the undersigned, stand on the side of education as an enterprise devoted to human inquiry, enlightenment, and liberation. We oppose the demonization of Professor William Ayers.
Left Forum 2008
The Backlash Against Dissent on Israel - Strategies For Response: Drawing upon their own experiences, panelists will address how dissenting voices on Israel have been suppressed or silenced, and ways to respond politically to the backlash that is taking place against dissent on Israel.
- Joel Kovel, Author, Overcoming Zionism, Founding Member, Committee for Open Discussion of Zionism, CODZ
- Debbie Almontaser, Educator, Founding Principal, Khalil Gibran International Academy, New York City
- Donna Nevel, Community Psychologist and educator
- Alison Weir, Journalist, Founder of If Americans Knew
Left Forum 2011
Challenging Islamophobia and Racism:
- Sponsored by: Women Against Islamophobia and Racism
- Debbie Almontaser, Muslim Consultative Network
- Dinu Ahmed, Khadijah's Caravan
- Donna Nevel, Community psychologist and educator, Jews Say No
- Louis Cristillo, Research Assistant Professor in the Department of International and Transcultural Studies, Columbia University
- Moumita Zaman, Khadijah's Caravan
- Ujju Aggarwal, Center for Immigrant Families
Speakers at the town hall meeting included Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MN); CAIR National Executive Director Nihad Awad; Linda Sarsour, executive director of the Arab American Association of New York; Kameelah M. Rashad, Muslim chaplain at UPENN; Raed Jarrar, government relations manager at American Friends Service Committee (AFSC); Donna Nevel of the Network Against Islamophobia, Jewish Voice for Peace; and Rev. Dr. David D. Grafton of Lutheran Theological Seminary in Philadelphia.