Don Slaiman is a US labor activist. Currently Chairman at Frantia LLC Scottsdale, Arizona.
Virginia Diamond August 31 2019·
Supporting the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Strikers
In the June 14, 1997 edition of People's Weekly World Don Slaiman, National Field Staff AFL-CIO, was listed among those who sent their support to the 4500 members of the United Steelworkers of America who have been on strike against the Wheeling-Pittsburgh Steel Corporation since October 1, 1996:
Influencing the vote
In May 1998 Don Slaiman, international AFL-CIO field representative for Ohio, spoke to the Democratic Socialists of Central Ohio general meeting inabout unions and living wage campaigns. A long-time organizer, Slaiman had worked with trade unions in Russia and Romania as well as in the United States. He first started working in Ohio in 1996 with the AFL-CIO's "America Needs a Raise" campaign, directing one of the first town meetings held at that time.
- Slaiman told us that current union activity is focusing on mobilizing members to vote. Unions are educating members on various issues, rather than telling them who to vote for, hoping for a big turnout in the November elections. At stake is control of the five-member apportionment board that draws political district lines in Ohio. The board consists of the governor, state auditor, secretary of state, the House speaker and the Senate president. Whichever party controls this board can usually draw the lines so that their party wins most of the elections.
Backing the PWW
In January 1998 fourteen Ohio labor leaders, headed by Dick Acton, vice president of the Ohio AFL-CIO, sent a letter to their contemporaries urging their financial support of the Communist Party USA's People's Weekly World. The letter, which was sent to 50 labor leaders in the Cleveland area of Northeast Ohio said the World "tells our story and unhesitatingly takes our side. It was there when we needed it and now it needs is."
- Dick Acton, Vice President, Ohio AFL-CIO
- Don Slaiman, National Staff, AFL-CIO
- Willlie Howard, Business representative, SEIU Local 47
- Jim Newbauer, Business Manager/Financial Secretary, IBEW Local 1377
- Vermel Smith, President, Cleveland Chapter, Coalition of Labor Union Women
- Greg Riemer, President, CWA Local 4309
- Dave Irwin, President, USWA Local 4448
- Jim Larocca, President, AFSCME/OCSEA Local 1801
- Joe Ventura, President, Painters Local 867
- John Gallo, Vice President, AFSCME Local 3360
- Ray Dennis, Legislative Director, SOAR
- Wally Kaufman, Secretary, AFL-CIO Retirees
- Bruce Bostick, Chairman, Grievance Committee, USWA Local 1104
- Betty Chaka, Federation of Retired Workers
Employee Free Choice Act work
In April 2009 Don Slaiman, was working on the Employee Free Choice Act campaign in critical state of Colorado.
Senior Field Rep, AFL-CIO, Oct 1995 – Present.
- Electioneering, Politics, Entertainment, Foreign Affairs, Mobilizing, and Marketing.
- People's Weekly World , June 14, 1997