Movement Generation delegation to Klimateforum09
- North American indigenous Delegation, Movement Generation Justice and Ecology Project, and the Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative, along with other grassroots groups from the United States will deliver a letter to President Barack Obama demanding that the United States take real, rights-based approaches to climate change and ecological debt.
Speakers scheduled were:
- Diana Lopez- (Southwest Workers Union San Antonio, TX)
- Michele Roberts – (Advocates for Environmental Human Rights, LA/DC)
- Representatives from indigenous communities from the United States and Canada
- Moderator: Kalila Barnett (Alternatives for Communities and Environment, Boston, MA)
Other Resource people from many other organizations were also present, including: Gopal Dayaneni, Movement Generation; Alicia Garza, People Organized to Win Employment Rights (San Francisco, Right to the City, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance); Mari Rose Taruc, Asian Pacific Environmental Network (Movement Generation Bay Area network, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, Richmond); Marisa Franco, Right to the City (NY); Roxana Aguilar, Strategic Actions for a Just Economy (Right to the City, Los Angeles); Jill Johnston, Southwest Workers Union (Grassroots Global Justice Alliance); Diana Lopez, Southwest Workers Union (Grassroots Global Justice Alliance); Jose Bravo, Just Transition Alliance (Grassroots Global Justice Alliance, San Diego); Cecil Corbin-Mark, West Harlem Environmental Actiobn (Environmental Justice Leadership Forum, New York); Jacqui Patterson, Women of Color United (GA); and Diana Pei Wu, Movement Strategy Center (CA).
Climate Change COP 20
Nearly three months after mobilizing over 19,000 people with the Climate Justice Alliance to the People’s Climate March and Summit in New York City during September 2014, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance (GGJ) is leading a delegation of 12 grassroots leaders from frontline communities impacted by economic crisis and climate change in the United States to the People’s Summit on Climate Change COP 20 in Lima, Peru from December 8–11, 2014.
Four leading delegates were;
Kali Akuno, Coordinator, Cooperation Jackson, Jackson MS, United States, Diana Lopez, Director, Southwest Workers Union, San Antonio, TX, United States, Tom B.K. Goldtooth, Executive Director, Indigenous Environmental Network, Bemidji, MN, United States, Cindy Wiesner, National Coordinator, Grassroots Global Justice Alliance; Co-Director, Climate Justice Alliance.
- Genaro Lopez-Rendon - Director
- Sandra Garcia - Youth Coordinator
- Marco Valdez - Administrator
- Lucha Lopez - Administrator
- Jill Johnston - Program Coordinator
- Chavel Lopez - Labor Coordinator
- Joaquin Abrego - Labor Organizer
- Alicia Perez - Domestic Workers Organizer
- Irasema Cavazos - Domestic Workers Organizer
- Diana Lopez - Environmental Justice Coordinator
- Tanya Garduno - Mass Base Political Organizer
- Laura Muraida - Mass Base Political Organizer
- Robert Alvarado - Community Organizer
- Monica Ramos - Community Organizer
Grassroots Global Justice Alliance Coordinating Committee
- Asian Pacific Environmental Network (Mei-ying Williams, Miya Yoshitani
- Black Workers for Justice (Ajamu Dillahunt, Angaza Laughinghouse)
- Causa Justa/Just Cause (Maria Poblet)
- Community to Community Development (Tara Villalba, Edgar Franks)
- East Michigan Environmental Action Council (Diana Copeland, William Copeland)
- Indigenous Environmental Network (Kandi Mossett, Tom Goldtooth)
- Just Transition Alliance (Jose Bravo)
- Miami Workers Center (Marcia Olivo, Trenise Bryant)
- Southwest Workers Union (Diana Lopez)
- Vermont Workers Center (Kate Kanelstein, James Haslam)
"Building Bridges to Empower a true majority" conference
Louis Head October 24, 2015:
Leroy Johnson, Curtis Hill, Diana Lopez, Julian Mendez, Janelle Astorga-Ramos, Javier Benavidez and Brenda Hyde: Southern Echo, Inc., Southwest Workers Union and SouthWest Organizing Project discuss Accountable Governance and the relationship between organizing, electoral work, and the building of relationships of accountability between communities and public officials. — in Madison, Mississippi.
Steering Ctte members
Louis Head February 21, 2015:
South X Southwest Experiment Steering Ctte members at the SxSWE/SouthWest Organizing Project mural. — with Dorian Angulo, Amanda Milagro Gallegos, Diana Lopez, Betty L. Petty, Brenda Hyde, Janelle Astorga-Ramos, Emma Jones, Curtis Hill, Javier Benavidez and Joaquin Muerte at Albuquerque Center for Peace & Justice.
- US Affected People of Color Urge Obama to be Champion in Climate Negotiations MEDIA ADVISORY / AVISO DE PRENSA For immediate release: December 15, 2009
- GGJA MEDIA ADVISORY: Leaders from US Communities Affected by Climate Change Travel to Climate Talks in Peru Posted on Sun, 12/07/2014
- SWWU staff
- Global Justice Alliance CC