New American Movement
New American Movement 10th convention
In 1981 Richard Healey and Dean Pappas, Co-Chairs of the Commission led a meeting entitled Political Education Commission at the 10th Convention of the New American Movement. The convention was held in a union headquarters in Chicago and ran from July 29 - August 2, 1981.
Pappas also led a workshop entitled Introduction to Gramsci at the Convention.
Working with Mikulski
Dean Pappas, an activist whose strong antiwar views were honed during the Vietnam War era, when he stood, often shoulder to shoulder, with the late Philip Berrigan, the “Dissenter Emeritus,” in opposing the evils of the American Empire. Pappas said: “I have actually known [Sen.] Barbara Mikulski for over 40 years. We worked together. I was really proud of what she did in standing up to U.S. imperialism in Central America."
- NAM Discussion bulletin, no. 11, September 1975, page v
- NAM National Council meeting notice Dec 12 1980
- NAM 10th Convention Agenda, July 29, 1981
- Democratic Left, Jan./Feb. 1990, page 9
- Bearing Witness To Sen. Mikulski's Complicity in the War, Baltimore, MD - August 3, 2007