"Free Angela Davis"
People’s World, June 12, 1971, covered the meeting “!,500 in San Antonio at Free Angela meeting."
“San Antonio, Texas—The first mass rally and dance for Angela Davis in the Southwest was a smashing success here May 23 as some 1,500 persons attended.
“David Poindexter, main speaker of the evening, termed the rally and dance the most successful he had yet seen.
“First speaker for the evening, Rev. C. W. Black, Jr., pastor of the Mt Zion First Baptist Church, was followed by Franklin Garcia, international representative of the Amalgamated Meatcutters and Butcher Workmen’s Union.
“Seated on the platform were Carlos Richardson, Texas co-ordinator of Student Nonviolent Co-ordinating Committee and chairman of the San Antonio Committee to Free Angela Davis; Raul Rodriguez, publisher of Chicano Times, and Rosie Castro, both candidates for City Council; G.J. Sutton and John Inman, black community leaders; John Stanford, Communist party spokesman; Mario Cantu, Chicano businessman; Mrs Manuela Sager, and David Plylar.
“Poindexter dealt with the August 7 shoot-out at the Marin County Courthouse, used as the excuse for Angela Davis’ subsequent imprisonment. He said Davis ‘didn’t know about Jonathan Jackson’s attempt; didn’t give Jonathan any guns; and had she known, she would have stopped Jonathan. Angela knew that the only defense we have is organizing people.’
Plylar knew John Stanford well.
- John was one of the most steadfast, dedicated people I ever knew. We met in the late 60's when he helped organize the San Antonio Committee to Stop the War in Vietnam. My favorite story, which I have told many times, is this: Thein Wah and I were sitting in Don Norton's living room one afternoon trying to decide who among us was the FBI informant. Thein accused me. He said I fit the profile--recently out of the military, crew cut hair, etc. We finally decided that the informant had to be John because he had the perfect cover. He was a high official in the state Communist Party at that time! John's big contribution to civil liberties was when he and Maury Maverick took on the FBI and beat them in the U.S. Supreme Court after the feds raided his home and confiscated his book collection. The last time I saw John was at the Black Lawyers Association meeting at St. Mary's Law School following the decision in the George Zimmerman case.
Mother's Day for Joanna Stanford
2009 Mother's Day Greetings and Love to the multi-talented Joanna Stanford — now in hospice care — whose life has combined love of family with distribution of the People's Weekly World and predecessor papers, and with the struggle for a world of peace, justice, freedom, art, dance, dolls and handicrafts.
Signatories included David Plylar.
Stonewall Democrats of San Antonio
Supported Julian Castro
Free the Cuban 5
In 2009, over 100 Texan activists wrote a Letter from San Antonio Activists Supporting the Cuban 5 to President Carter:
We actors, artists, writers, teachers, cultural workers and other activists in the struggle for peace and justice in San Antonio, Texas, have read the letter that twenty Actors and Artists United for the Freedom of the Cuban 5 wrote you on April 8. We agree with the contents of that letter, which we have copied below, and we wish to add our names as signers to that letter.
We are sending a copy of this letter to President Barack Obama, to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, to the five Cuban anti-terrorists who are in U.S. prisons, to the National Committee to Free the Cuban Five, and to the U.S. office of the International Committee for the Freedom of the Cuban 5. Signers included David Plylar .
Endorsed Ciro Rodriguez
- https://www.Facebook.com/john.stanford.7587 John Stanford FBpage, Sep 13, 2013]
- [http://www.peoplesworld.org/mother-s-day-greetings-and-love-to-joanna-stanford/, PW, Mother's Day Greetings and Love to Joanna Stanford by: Friends May 1 2009]
- Stonewall Democrats announce new board members and co-chairs QSanAntonio.com, January 22, 2011
- David Medina Flunks Forum By: Tommy Calvert, Jr., General Manager KROV, circa 2013
- Marxism-Leninism Today, Letter from San Antonio Activists Supporting the Cuban 5 PDF Print E-mail Oct. 2, 2011
- Stonewall Democrats of San Antonio June 2012 Meeting of the Membership