- 1 Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
- 2 Socialist Scholars Conference
- 3 Joint Progressive Caucus & Arab American Caucus Agenda
- 4 Arab American Caucus Meeting Minutes: August 26, 2017
- 5 DSA in CDP member
- 6 Comrades
- 7 MFA team
- 8 California Teachers Association strike supporters
- 9 Officers
- 10 Muslim Democrats
- 11 Palestinian self-determination resolution
- 12 Standing for AD 7
- 13 DSA-JSC in Solidarity with Ilhan Omar
- 14 References
Socialist Scholars Conference 1990
Crisis or Bureaucratic Order: Eastern Europe, the Soviet Union and China; Restructuring from below
- Sponsor: Against the Current
- Susan Weisman, Editor, Critique and Against the Current
- Kim Moody, Labor Notes, author, Decline of American Unionism
- Jin Xiaochang, History of Sociology, New School
- Richard Smith, author: Class Structure and Economic Development of China
- David Mandel, University of Quebec, Montreal, Paper - New Workers Movement in the Soviet Union
Socialist Scholars Conference
Marilyn Vogt-Downey, Marxist Prospectives on USSR, Alexandr Buzgalin, Initiative Group and David Mandel were speakers on the The USSR Before and After Collapse: What Does it Mean for Workers? panel sponsored by the Soviet Workers Information Committee at the Tenth Annual Socialist Scholars Conference. The conference was held April 24-26, 1992 at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, New York City
Joint Progressive Caucus & Arab American Caucus Agenda
Joint Progressive Caucus & Arab American Caucus Agenda, California Democratic Party Executive Board Meeting Sat., Nov.18, 2017 (8:15-10:15) The Westin SF Airport 1 Old Bayshore Highway, Millbrae, CA 94030.
- Election for Progressive Caucus Communications & Media Officer, PC Secretary Marcy Winograd introduces the candidates.
- Update on the impact of Trump’s Muslim Ban – Speaker from CAIR-SF.
- UPTE-CWA Presentation: The $48 Fix/Reclaim California’s Master Plan for Higher Education – Speaker: Jonathan Abboud.
- Update on anti-BDS legislation – Speakers: David Mandel and Iyad Afalqa
- Autopsy Report: The Democratic Party in Crisis – Speaker: Karen Bernal
Arab American Caucus Meeting Minutes: August 26, 2017
CA Democratic Party Summer E-board Meeting Minutes: August 26, 2017, Arab American Caucus Meeting Minutes, Sheraton Park Hotel Resort 1855 South Harbor Boulevard. Anaheim, CA.
Meeting Called to Order by Chairman Iyad Afalqa at 8:15 p.m. Officers present: Iyad Afalqa, Ahmed Zahra, Hosam Haggag, Sara Abed. Welcome Opening Remarks were delivered by Chairman Iyad Afalqa. Chairman made a motion to move the approval of minutes to the time spot after the panel to meet Congressman Khana traveling schedule. Motion was accepted and seconded by Southern California Vice Chair, Ahmed Zahra.
At 8:17 Chairman introduced North California Vice Chair Hosam Haggag to moderate The panel: Protecting Our First Amendment: A Panel Review of the Anti-BDS Bill . Along with the Anti-BDS bill and the turmoil that was sparked in Charlottesville, there's a lot of chatter about the 1st Amendment.
- Congressman Ro Khanna, CA-CD 17
- David Mandel, National Lawyers Guild
- Estee Chandler, JVP LA Director
- Brendan Hamme, ACLU Regional Rep and Lawyer
- Karen Bernal, Progressive Caucus Chair
At 9:25 p.m. Chairman read the minutes. Amira Abed, Secretary was absent to attend to an emergent matter. Minutes were approved. At 9:28 p.m. Sara Abed, Treasurer delivered the Treasurer’s Report. At 9:30 p.m. Chairman Iyad Afalqa delivered his report followed by Vice Chair, N. Cal. Report – Hosam Haggag and Vice Chair, S. Cal. Report – Ahmad Zahra.
At 9:41 p.m. Elected Officials and Candidates Addressed the Caucus members, followed at 10:00 p.m. Guest Speakers addresses.
Rashad Al-Dabbagh, Executive Director of the Arab American Council and Monica Brasov-Curca of Activate Labs delivered a presentation about the release of the Refugees Welcome Guide. Followed by a status report on Civil rights by Basim Elkarra, Executive Director of CAIR - Sacramento Valley Meeting was adjourned at 10:15 p.m. by the chairman.
DSA in CDP member
Phillip Kim July 21, 2018 ·
California Teachers Association strike supporters
Phillip Kim January 13 2018.
With Dean Murakami, Tamika L'Ecluse, Shirley Toy, Rachelanne Vander Werf, Jillynn Molina, Robert Longer, David Mandel, Anna Molander, Ian Hoffmann, Norma Alcala, Michelle Pariset, Tim Molina and Rene Cruz Martinez at California Teachers Association.
- Phillip Kim, President
- Patricia Johnson, Secretary, 916-642-6067
- Chris Yatooma, Treasurer
- Zoe Kipping, Communications Director
- Aaron Miner, Legislative Director
- Joshua Cameron, Parliamentarian
- Valarie Martin, Environmental Chair
- David Mandel, International Chair
- Milton Whaley, Past President
Hussam Ayloush February 25:
Palestinian self-determination resolution
Hussam Ayloush May 21, 2017:
Milestone progress. Resolution supporting Palestinian self-determination passes at the CA Democratic Party Convention. Thank you, Estee Chandler, David Mandel, Karen Bernal, Moe Sarama, and many others.
Standing for AD 7
In 2019 David Mandel stood from AD 7 for the California Cemocratic Party central Committee.
- At 10, my first electoral campaign was for a congressional “peace” candidate who – now we know how ominously — lost to a young Republican newcomer named Donald Rumsfeld. Six years later, I joined the anti-war, insurgent presidential campaign of Eugene McCarthy, then protested against the highly undemocratic 1968 convention in Chicago.
- As an adult, I’ve been a newspaper editor and writer, a legal aid and human rights attorney … and always a political organizer, on the side of the underrepresented, exploited and oppressed, in this country and from 1974-85, in Israel-Palestine. In Sacramento ever since, I’m active in movements reflecting my priorities and skills, emphasizing the interconnectedness of domestic and international struggles; economic and social issues; race, gender, class … and more.
- In recent years I’ve gotten involved with Wellstone Progressive Dems locally and the state party Progressive Caucus. Wellstone endorsed early and mobilized for Bernie Sanders; I spent hundreds of hours calling and walking in Nevada and Sacramento. Since then I’ve done the same on local and state levels. I frequently advocate at the Capitol for progressive measures of all sorts and against attacks on protected speech, particularly regarding the exceptionalism with which Israel is treated – and Palestinians mistreated. I also work with Jewish Voice for Peace, the National Lawyers Guild and DSA.
- At the 2017 state convention, we came within a whisker of electing a progressive chair. Now that the “winner” has been forced to resign due to his outrageous behavior, we will have another opportunity to democratize the party and pull it to the left.
- The vehicle is the Progressive Labor Alliance. Pick up our slate card at the ADEM and vote for all seven women and seven men.
- The goal is not to elect more opportunists who call themselves Democrats; it’s to ally with grassroots progressive social movements throughout the state and country to build a majority for comprehensive transformation to an anti-racist, non-sexist, post-carbon, post-capitalist and peaceful world.
DSA-JSC in Solidarity with Ilhan Omar
Jewish Solidarity Caucus 2019, Feb 14 2019.
- As Jews on the left, we are in solidarity with Representative Ilhan Omar and her statements regarding the American Israel Public Affairs Committee’s (AIPAC) influence over US lawmakers and foreign policy.
Signatories of the letter included David Mandel.