- 1 Democratic Socialists of America
- 2 Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
- 3 Democratic Socialists of America Unity
- 4 Democratic Socialists of America - Boston Public Group
- 5 Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
- 6 DSA North Star
- 7 References
David Oscar Knuttunen is a "socialist, father, guitar player, lifelong reader, occasional poet."
Democratic Socialists of America
- "DSA has formed a Political Action Committee—Democratic Socialists of America PAC (DSA PAC), which will raise funds to enable activity that supports or opposes candidates for federal office. By law, DSA is not permitted to expend its resources in support of or against candidates in partisan elections; however, DSA is permitted to form a PAC for this purpose...
- ...Only DSA members in good standing may contribute to the PAC. Because the law is so specific, all contributions are carefully screened to make sure that they are from members."
Boston DSA executive
Boston Democratic Socialists of America members met January 2001 to elect an Executive Board for another year and discuss political priorities. All current members were re-elected with the exception of Harris Gruman, who declined another term as Chair to focus on his new position as Director of Massachusetts Neighbor to Neighbor. Former DSA National Director Jack Clark "will replace Harris as Chair". Returning E Board members included David Knuttunen, Martha Older, Vic Bloomberg, Jack Bray and Barry Hart. David Keil and Mike Pattberg were also re-elected Yankee Radical editors; so was Joe Morgan as Treasurer Emeritus. In addition, two new recruits were “drafted,” Allen Graubard and Adele Greenberg.
On June 13, 2002 Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its 25th Annual Debs–Thomas–Bernstein Awards to "leaders who fight for democracy, here at home and around the world". State Representatives Pat Jehlen and Anne Paulsen, Co-Chairs of the Progressive Legislators Group received the award. Ellen Feingold, the earliest known recipient (1979) spoke on the history of the organization. David Knuttunen and Susan Davidoff were benefactors of the reception.
Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Awards Reception
On June 12, 2001, David Knuttunen was a benefactor of the annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Awards reception which is hosted by Boston Democratic Socialists of America. The Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award is presented to "leaders who fight for democracy, here at home and around the world". Ed Clark, Honorary Vice Chair of Democratic Socialists of America; and Communist Party USA-linked Dessima Williams received the Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award, while DSAer John Maher received the Michael Harrington Lifetime Achievement Award. Boston-based "social justice" organization Neighbor to Neighbor; and In These Times members Abby Rockefeller and Lee Halprin were also benefactors of the reception. The reception took place at the home of DSAer Marcia Peters and her husband David Karaus in Jamaica Plain.
On September 24, 2006, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to "our longtime comrade, Director of Massachusetts Neighbor to Neighbor Harris Gruman". Hosted by former Neighbor to Neighbor Director John Maher and Co-Chaired by Senator Pat Jehlen and MA AFL-CIO Vice President Ed Collins, the event was also a fundraiser for both Boston DSA and the Mass Alliance Some Alliance endorsed candidates were among the attendees, including Denise Provost, Jarrett Barrios, Willie Mae Allen, Claire Naughton and Will Brownsberger. Political Director Georgia Hollister Isman explained how the Mass Alliance helps elect progressives to the MA legislature, and introduced some of the candidates.
- Pat Jehlen and John Mayer noted how Harris combines the skills and abilities of an ace precinct captain and shrewd political strategist with a vast knowledge of the more obscure Austria, Italy, which undoubtably comes in handy on the campaign trail.
On September 27, 2007, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to couple Marie Kennedy and Chris Tilly, "two long-time champions of economic justice and grassroots democracy". The awards reception took place at the home of Marcia Peters and David Karaus. Honorary Co-Chairs for the event were Boston City Councilor Felix Arroyo and Elaine Bernard, Director of the Harvard Law School Labor and Worklife Program. David Knuttunen MC'd the event, Carline Desire from the Association of Haitian Women in Boston presented the award, and East Boston State Rep candidate Gloribell Mota made a speech at the event.
David Knuttunen and Susan Davidoff were patrons of the event.
On June 30, 2009, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to Professor, author, and health care reformer Rashi Fein, along with the winners of a union election at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center in Brighton, accepted by Sonia Marshall, the key organizer of the campaign. Sheila Decter of the Jewish Alliance for Law and Social Action presented the award to Rashi Fein. The event was held at the home of Marcia Peters and David Karaus. Mike Fadel of SEIU Local 1199 (formerly Boston DSA staff person) and the AFSCME-affiliated New England Organizing Project were benefactors of the event.
David Knuttunen and Susan Davidoff were patrons of the event.
On June 13, 2010, Boston Democratic Socialists of America presented its annual Debs-Thomas-Bernstein Award to "two champions of social justice and grassroots democracy, Georgia Hollister Isman and Jack Clark". Honorary Co-Chairs for the event were Massachusetts AFL-CIO President Robert Haynes, State Senator Patricia Jehlen and special guest Senator Sonia Chang-Diaz. Georgia Hollister Isman's award was presented by Andrea Miller of NARAL. Massachusetts AFL-CIO Vice-President Ed Collins and Janet Boguslaw from Brandeis University introduced the other honoree, Jack Clark, who then "entertained and informed us with a brief tour of U.S. Socialist history". David Knuttunen & Susan Davidoff were benefactors of the event.
2005 DSA local chair
Board members at large elected to help steer Boston Democratic Socialists of America through 2005 include David Knuttunen, Barry Hart and Vic Bloomberg. In addition, Jim Goldberg was drafted (in absentia!) for another year as Treasurer. Mike Pattberg was elected Chair of the Local and editor (along with Andrea Costello) of The Yankee Radical.
DSA Renegotiate NAFTA petition
In 2009 David Knuttunen, Democratic Socialists of America, signed a petition calling on President Barack Obama to Renegotiate NAFTA. The petition was initiated and circulated by Democratic Socialists of America.
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward
Now What? Defying Trump and the Left's Way Forward was a phone in webinar organized by Freedom Road Socialist Organization in the wake of the 2016 election.
- Now what? We’re all asking ourselves that question in the wake of Trump’s victory. We’ve got urgent strategizing and work to do, together. Join Ash-Lee Woodard Henderson of the Movement for Black Lives and Freedom Road, Calvin Cheung-Miaw, Jodeen Olguin-Taylor of Mijente and WFP, Joe Schwartz of the Democratic Socialists of America, and Sendolo Diaminah of Freedom Road for a discussion of what happened, and what we should be doing to build mass defiance. And above all, how do we build the Left in this, which we know is the only solution to the crises we face?
- This event will take place Tuesday November 15, 2016 at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central/6pm Pacific.
Those invited, on Facebook included David Knuttunen.
Democratic Socialists of America Unity
Democratic Socialists of America - Boston Public Group
- Just a reminder that this group is not officially an organ of Democratic Socialists of America, although the Admins are members, and a lot of members post here from time to time. We reserve the right to kick people out for trolling or spamming, but otherwise we don't do a lot of vetting of would-be group members. Which is cool, because we value everybody's point of view. But views posted in this group are those of the poster, only.
Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
We Stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez was a 2018 letter signed by several Democratic Socialists of America members mainly from the DSA North Star in response to attacks on Ocasio-Cortez over remarks she made on Palestine.
- A recent petition circulated by some DSA members criticizes Ocasio-Cortez for supporting a two state solution to the Palestine-Israel question and not aligning with a long list of demands regarding Palestine and Israel. Should Ocasio-Cortez fail to agree with this list of demands, the petitioners are calling for DSA to revoke her endorsement. These attacks on Ocasio-Cortez have come despite the fact that she has staked out positions which will make her one of the strongest advocates of Palestinian rights and self-determination in Congress.
- We stand with Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. The position she has taken on Israel and Palestine are principled stances, worthy of a democratic socialist, in its recognition of both Palestinian humanity and rights and Israeli humanity and rights. On this issue, as many, she will be a voice for the voiceless in Congress.
Signatures included David Knuttunen.
DSA North Star
In 2018 David Knuttunen was an original signatory of the DSA North Star founding principles statement.
- CampaignMoney.com 2006 Cycle
- Democratic Left, Spring 2006
- http://www.dsaboston.org/yradical/yr2001-04.pdf Yankee Radical, April, 2001]
- The Yankee Radical, Sep./Oct. 2002
- The Yankee Radical, June 2001, page 1
- TYR, Jan. 2007
- TYR, Sep. 2007
- TYR, Jan. 2008
- TYR, June 2009
- TYR, Sep. 2009
- TYR, May 2010
- TRY Sep. 2010
- TYR, March 2005
- Renegotiate NAFTA website: Signatories to the petition to President Barack Obama, April 16, 2008